Computer Help forum

Question

Computer failing to boot

by jam877 / April 4, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

So my computer was working fine last night but at some point when I tried using it I realised the monitor was not picking up the computer, so I turned everything off and tried again this morning.

Once again the monitor is turning on fine and the computer lights up but the monitor is not picking it up and the screen stays black. I noticed that there is also no power going to the mouse or keyboard and there is no beep on startup. Having tried booting the computer about 30 times the computer is now turning on for a second and then going straight back off.

I took a look and all of the fans are working properly when it does boot but unfortunately my brother built the computer so my knowledge kind of stops there. I tried booting with only the power cable and that also didn't work. I have easy access to the inside of the computer but have no idea what to try. I have exams coming up soon and all of my notes aree on the computer so would appreciate any help. Cheers.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer failing to boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer failing to boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Couple of possibilities
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

Couple of possibilities, but the most likely scenario seems to be that the motherboard died. Still, may as well try a couple of the simple free options first. Pull the power cable out from the computer and leave it out for a good 15-30 seconds to make sure the PSU capacitors drain. You can press the power button as well to help facilitate this. Then plug the computer back in, give it 5 seconds or so to energize the capacitors, then see if it will boot.

If it still doesn't want to boot, odds are you're looking at a bad motherboard. The PSU is a possibility, but generally if you have a bad PSU, you don't get any kind of movement when you press the power button. I'd be willing to go so far as to say the symptoms seem to fit the bad caps (google it) issue pretty well. For most people that's a death sentence for the motherboard.

What I'd suggest you do is get your brother out to take a look. He built the unit so should be reasonably familiar with its component parts. If nothing else, odds are he'll have an external enclosure you can use to pull the HDD and get the files you need off the drive so you can finish your work on a campus computer or something.

Collapse -
Gave it a try
by jam877 / April 4, 2013 1:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said and the computer booted up and remained on. There was still no beep but does this give any indication of what the problem may be?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.