Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Computer doesn't recognize mp3 players

by storkbyte / July 22, 2010 4:37 PM PDT

Hope someone can help. I purchased a Sony Walkman mp3 (NWZ-E345)My computer doesn't recognize when it's plugged into the USB port. Previously I used a Sandisk with no problems. Now, it doesn't recogize the sandisk model either. Yet, I can plug in my camera and download my pictures and my children can plug in their iphones and mp3 players and the computer recognizes the portable device. I can plug my mp3 players into my son's computer and it recognizes it as a portable device. How can I get my computer to recognize my 2 mp3 players? I'm running Windows XP.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer doesn't recognize mp3 players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer doesn't recognize mp3 players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the exact same problem.
by corboy21 / July 24, 2010 3:35 PM PDT

Your just going to have to ask if you can transfer all of your music to your sons computer so you can upload it from there.

Collapse -
Reset
by Maceman69 / July 26, 2010 11:10 PM PDT

Hi,
I had a similar problem with my Walkman. It used to work fine with my XP, but then something happened. It didn't even charge.

I pushed the reset button and after that everything worked just fine.
All my music, movies and pics were still there Happy

Maceman

Collapse -
Computer not recognizing mp3 players
by storkbyte / July 27, 2010 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset

Well, I tried the reset. Plugged it in to the usb port, the computer dinged (I thought I may have struck pay dirt) and nothing. Still doesn't see there's a portable device there. It's all very frustrating.

Collapse -
driver conflict
by ZeroTiger / August 13, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

sounds like the plug & pray driver is conflicting on your system. try downloading the driver for that device straight from Sony. Also make sure you plug directly into the USB port, not through a hub.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.