PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer doesn't recognize I have a disk in the DVD-RW drive

by magi376 / May 18, 2004 6:25 AM PDT

I have burned disks before and I haven't changed anything lately on my computer(Win XP) but just the other day I couldn't get it to know I put a blank disk in the drive...it kept claiming there was no disk

It is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105

There is a related problem I had right out of the box with this computer...when I put a game into the AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device...it would not recognize the disk was inserted...I would have to keep clicking "try again" up to 12 times before it knew the game disk was already inside...this would happen also if I left the disk inside after I stopped playing and later came back to play again...it would forget the disk was still inside and I was back to clicking "try again" many times before it would work

The game then would work perfectly and I just put it down as a weird quirk(since it would eventually would work) and because I surely didn't want to take the computer back when I just got it

While I'm asking these questions I may as well tell you in the last couple of weeks the fan(not certain which one) is making an inordinate amount of noise...nothing seems to be overheating but is it possible all my problems are related? And what can I do about it?

I purchased the computer from Best Buy(7 months ago) and they say THEIR warrantee is only good for 14 days(they were VERY smug telling me I should of bought their extended warrantee)...however the manufactureers warantee is still good but this means I'd have to sent the whole tower in which at best would take over two weeks to get back...I REALLY do not want to do this

Do I have any other options?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer doesn't recognize I have a disk in the DVD-RW drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer doesn't recognize I have a disk in the DVD-RW drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer doesn't recognize I have a disk in the DVD-RW drive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2004 6:42 AM PDT

Check how much that warranty will cost you then decide.

1. Fans are mechanical devices and if there is no on-site service this can be an under 10 buck item. People replace them all the time. Open the case and find that noise since some CPU's just burn out if the CPU fan fails.

2. Same story on the CD/DVD drives. Check to see how much that warrantee is going to cost you. 4X all format DVD recorders are being spotted for 99 bucks and that may fix your issue. Do try the CD/DVD lens cleaner.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Computer doesn't recognize I have a disk in the DVD-RW drive

I'm kind of confused about your response...it was my first thought that since two separate drives on my computer are not recognizing when a disk is put into them that I doubted the DRIVES are the problem(wouldn't that be quite a coincidence to have both drive break down with the same problem?)

I was thinking myself that maybe both things are related to my fan acting up...I could of gotten a bad fan right from the start and as it's gotten progressively worse I notice the noise more now

I'd hate to think that after just 7 months I'd have three things break down on a brand new computer

Maybe I just got lucky with my last computer...7 years later everything still works like new(though horribly underpowered by today's standards of course)

What bugs me is Best Buys return/repair policy...I CAN get it repaired for free BUT I have to send in the entire tower to the manufacture(ironically this computer is put together by Best Buy itself(VPR Matrix))and be without my computer for over two weeks(if I'm lucky that's how long it would take to get back)

If no one has any better ideas I'll replace my fan and see if that helps with the other things that have been acting up

Collapse -
Use the reverse logic then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2004 9:26 PM PDT

"since two separate drives on my computer are not recognizing when a disk is put into them that I doubted the DRIVES are the problem"

Or the CD (the disk) has issues. Many are unaware that fingerprints are a bad thing.

Collapse -
Re:Use the reverse logic then...
by magi376 / May 19, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

Yeah but on one we are talking about a brand new game and on the other it was a brand new blank disk just opened...I doubt very much either one of them had any fingerprints on them

I might not know what's wrong with my computer but I DO know enough to hold a CD by the edges

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.