Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer does not recognize secon hard drive

by docamv / August 8, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop with Windows XP Home Edition. Few years later I added a second internal hard drive which computer recognized after installation and I used it several years with no problem. Recently the Operating System in the Primary Hard drive crashed and I reformatted the drive. Everything went OK and the computer recognized all the external hardware such as external hard drive,printer,scanner etc. but I can not find my secondary slave hard drive in My Computer which used to be there prior to the crash. If I open up Computer/Disk management window I see that this secondary hard drive is registered there as active and healty. Few Dell people tried to help me to solve my problem but without luck. Please help. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer does not recognize secon hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer does not recognize secon hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you never changed the jumpers..............
by Trance_Zac / August 8, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

on your slave drive & it shows up in Disk Management, you need to assign it a new drive letter to correspond with the new OS.
Right Click on the drine in Disk Management & assign whatever letter comes up next. You can then access thru "My Computer"

PS: Make sure disk is marked as active (same right click procedure)

Luck.......

Collapse -
Second hard drive
by docamv / August 9, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

I tried your suggestion. The slave drive is indicated as active and healty. This drive is indicated as "New Drive" but no drive letter ( it used to have the letter "D" prior to primary drive formatting.When I right click on it the option "Change drive letter and paths" is shaded out. The only choices that are illuminated are " delete partition" and "Help".
Could you have another suggestion for me? Thank you very much

Collapse -
crsjohn is correct abt. jumpers good HDD is a slave but
by DarCLew2 / August 8, 2006 9:02 AM PDT

The one that went bad is the master if on the same gray cable and it is being read first and does not get to your slave drive. Think of a light, the wire between that and a lightbulb and the same line to a second lightbulb like in a Christmas tree. The first bulb burns out and the others won't work. with some lighting on x-mas tress all the bulbs go out. There is a connection on the back of the good hard-drive and you may see a label on top or imprinted in the metal on the bottom that has C - M - S for cable, master, slave of 2 pin sets. Change to master and take the cable off of the bad hard drive. The jumper is a vertical piece that connects two pins. Darrell L.

Collapse -
win xp not recognize second hard drive
by 95e36 / January 3, 2008 11:58 AM PST

The problem I have is similar to that posted by "docamv". My desktop is a dimension 8200 using a wd 80gb hd. I messed up the o/s when I tried to re-install xp home on top of xp pro. I then put in a 250gb seagate hd, set it up as master and successfully installed xp home on it. The old wd 80gb hd was being set up as a slave. I assume the installation worked as I can start win xp and see the slave drive when I go to Disk Management. It shows up as Partition, Basic, NTFS, Healthy(Active) with 75gb Capacity. However, when I tried to assign drive letter, the "change drive letter .." option was greyed out. I can't reformat the old drive as I need to copy the data. Any hint on how I can get to the data? Can I put the hd in a drive enclosure and connect it up as an external drive to another pc? Would I be able to get to the data that way?

Collapse -
Try these demos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 10:22 PM PST

On google, find:

ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY
GETDATABACK

There are others but I keep using these.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.