Computer Help

General discussion

Computer completely unresponsive

by Schildkr03te / September 29, 2008 1:45 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP home edition (service pack 2)

I was using my computer last night and suddenly everything froze for no obvious reason, I couldn't click anything so I had to reset the pc. After doing this and opening my user account again my desktop image and icons would show up but it wouldn't sign me into msn like usual and nothing I clicked on would open. I tried turning the pc off and then on again and tried using everyone else's user accounts with the same result; completely unresponsive.

It still works in safe mode fine though (I'm using safe mode to post this message) and the only thing I could think of was to system restore to 2 days ago before this happened, but system restore isn't working for me! It works fine for me at first, it lets me select the point I want to restore to but when I try to click "next" on the last page to finalise the process nothing happens! The button graphic goes down and comes back up againg but it doesn't restore the system!

Since it works in safe mode, but not in normal, I imagine the problem lies within something which happens in normal mode on startup (I've tried disabling starup programs but with no luck) but since my computer knowledge (at least as far as it comes to actually fixing problems) is pretty slim, I didn't want to make too many blind changes in case I made things worse.

If any of you have any ideas of how I can fix this they would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

xxx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer completely unresponsive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer completely unresponsive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) In Safe Mode = Last Known Good Configuration?
by Coryphaeus / September 29, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by Schildkr03te / September 29, 2008 9:53 PM PDT

I've already tried that with no luck, sadly

Collapse -
Because It Could BeRelated To Malware..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 29, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

Please download, install, update, then run BOTH of the free antispyware tools from the links below. Perform all the steps while in "Safe Mode with Networking". If your current computer won't access the internet from "Safe Mode with Networking", then you'll need to download the tools on a different, clean computer, then burn the installer files to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

1. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

2. SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I can't do that.
by Schildkr03te / September 29, 2008 10:19 PM PDT

I was able to access the internet via safe mode with networking for about a day after this happened but now every time I try to get into safe mode (with or without networking)my computer automatically resets itself which means that I can no longer run programs on it. Someone (a friend of mine who knows a little more about computers than I do, but not much)told me that you can do a system restore to original settings which would get rid of malware but also get rid of all my files. Do you think this is a viable option now that I cant even get into safe mode? and do you know if there's a way to protect my files if I do this?or do you have any other(hopefully better) ideas? Thanks xxx

Collapse -
Re: problems
by Kees Bakker / September 29, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't do that.

1. To go back to the original settings, follow the instructions from the manufacturer. The three main variants are
(1) boot from the recovery CD or DVD that came with the PC,
(2) boot from the recovery CD or DVD that you made when being asked so the first time you used the PC, and
(3) press some key early in the boot so that you come in the recovery menu that gets it's data (the old system) from a hidden partition on your hard disk

2. Keep your files. There are several ways to do that:
(1) Buy a new hard disk to do #1 and get your files off the old one later (can't be combined with the last option in #1, alas)
(2) Find or download a Linux CD and use that to burn everything you want to keep to a CD/DVD or to copy it to a USB-stick or an external hard drive.
(3) Some recovery methods (see #1) might allow you to NOT delete your data (that's called a non-destructive recovery). But not all are so friendly.

If you had made a regular backup in the past, #2 wouldn't have been a big problem. Now maybe it is.

Kees

Collapse -
hmm...
by Schildkr03te / October 2, 2008 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: problems

Thanks a lot for replying, you gave me lots of options there. I tried to restore the system( a partial restore, my computer doesn't seem to even give me the option of a complete restore) It didn't freeze at all though the whole process but after restarting it never got past the "windows is starting up screen" (the screen was lying to me^^)

If I downloaded linux onto a cd as you suggested, would I then be able to boot up my computer with linux (even in it's current state)and still have access to the files currently stored on it?

Collapse -
If You Can't Boot To Safe Mode..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 30, 2008 4:36 AM PDT

...then you've lost a lot of options.. Kees has offered you good options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
First Things First
by Renegade Knight / September 30, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

Your data files are in harms way. Back them up.

With a fresh back up, restoring your comptuer to factory specs will be less painful. You will have your data, but have to reinstall your programs.

Collapse -
cmd?
by ROBTRINX / October 2, 2008 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: First Things First

hey u can try accessind cmd before u install linux..
when u access cmd type fixboot..and then chkdsk and maybe it will tell you if something is wrong with your start up?

Collapse -
Re: cmd?
by Schildkr03te / October 3, 2008 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: cmd?

Uhhhh... What's cmd? can you tell me how I would go about doing this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.