Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Computer Comes Back On After I Shut Down Windows XP Pro.

by WZNC / October 6, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

I have a problem that no one I know has heard of. All of my friends who are so-called computer experts are stumped and can't answer my question. I built a computer (www.wznc.com/steps.htm) that works fine except for one small detail.

When I shut the computer down Windows XP Pro closes perfectly BUT a second after it closes my computer starts back up with the Windows XP Pro still closed down and not running. My fans, hard drive, everything else is running. I've tried everything I know to correct this problem, checking the BIOS and Windows control settings, etc.

I always have to wind up pulling the power cord in back of the computer and putting it back in, then everything is fine. Does anyone out there have an answer? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Comes Back On After I Shut Down Windows XP Pro.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Comes Back On After I Shut Down Windows XP Pro.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reboot instead of shutdown..
by nilskje / October 7, 2005 4:49 AM PDT

Do you have a hp or compaq desktop? Have seen this on some models (even a few others) if you have a PCI wlan card installed. (dlink I think) If so you should chk closely on ther website for this problem...
Rgds NE Kjendlie

Collapse -
This is
by jackintucson / October 7, 2005 4:52 AM PDT

a hardware problem. When your system shuts down from Windows, either your power switch or reset switch is still crossed. I believe you'll find the problem exists on the motherboard. Pull the pin connectors and examine them. If you have a new case, it might be on the case. Know how to use a vohm meter?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Look in BIOS
by Themisive / October 7, 2005 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: This is

There are some settings in there that may be enabled on your machine. Plese note, I am only going off MY BIOS manual, yours may well be different.

1 USB device wake-up on SPCI suspend.
2 Modem Ring on.
3 Wake on LAN.
4 Mouse Power on.
5 PME event wake-up.
6 Resume by alarm.

It could be any of these, if the processes are est to "Enable", try setting them to "Disable" if you don't use them, that should cure the problem

Collapse -
Computer Shuts Down and Starts right back up again
by trish316 / October 7, 2005 9:40 AM PDT

My mom is using Windows XP on ger gateway computer...It seems since she installed the security from MSN service pack 2 she started to have this problem....She will shut down the computer and it shuts off but starts right back up again...Can someone help with this...It is driving her crazy and me also..She is 80 years old and a wiz on the computer, but this sure has us stumped...Everything we do it will not shut down and STAY OFF...

Any help welcome Please and Thank You

Collapse -
Only as a last resort
by The -e^(i*pi) / October 7, 2005 10:33 AM PDT

i have 2 suggestions:
sledge hammer or linux, whichever is less scary

Collapse -
Try this link to see possible
by Ray Harinec / October 7, 2005 10:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Everything else is running.....
by Papa Echo / October 7, 2005 1:53 PM PDT

...including the monitor receiving a signal ??

When did the problem start - suddenly, or it has always been like that ?

The Mother Board gets the power, but the OS does not boot up ?

Try updating/flushing the BIOS; Also replace the CMOS battery - at least check whether it is correctly and firmly in place - while you are at it, clean the contacts.

Are you sure the Mother Board drivers are installed, and are for XP ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.