Peripherals forum

General discussion

Computer can't handle SDHC cards

by doowopper / November 27, 2010 6:33 PM PST

I have a 6 year old, Dell Windows XP Professional computer. My HP printer has a memory card reader as part of it - the printer is about 4 years old. When I put an SDHC memory card in my HP memory card reader, a box appears on the screen asking me to put a disk in that drive (indicating the card is not recognized). An SDC card and other style cards such as Compact Flash cards are recognized by this reader.
When I put an SDHC into a USB memory card reader and attach it to my Windows XP computer, the memory card reader is slowly recognized by my computer but a copy and transfer of a file from the memory card to my hard drive never completes.
When I use an SDC instead of an SDC card, I have none of the problems mentioned above. All functions normally. I tried all of this with three different memory card readers with the same results. I also tried the memory card readers with an SDHC card on my newer Windows 7 computer. No problems using the SDHC card on my newer Windows 7 computer.
So, is it possible that my 6 year old computer just can't handle SDHC memory cards and can only handle the the older SDC memory cards? Does this make sense or could there be some other reason for my problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer can't handle SDHC cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer can't handle SDHC cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It should work
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2010 12:21 AM PST

I suspect you may have either bad hardware or some compatibility problem. Does your old PC have USB 2 or 1.1? Older standards do have some compatibility issues with newer hardware and not all newer hardware is completely backward compatible. Have you tried the same reader and memory card in a newer system? I'd do that first and see if it works. If it does, you may need a different reader or maybe even a USB 2 add in card to make them work together properly.

Collapse -
by doowopper / November 28, 2010 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: It should work

Thanks for your response. My Windows XP computer has USB 2. When I put an older SD (not SDHC) card in my reader on this computer, it works just fine. I can copy files from the card to my hard drive, etc. When I put an SDHC card in the reader, I have problems, such as the copy of a file from the card reader to my hard drive stops mid-stream. I tried the card reader in my newer Windows 7 computer - no problems - I can copy files from the SD and SDHC cards in the reader to my hard drive.
Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
It's not the computer;
by ahtoi / November 29, 2010 12:46 AM PST

It's the reader.

Collapse -
by doowopper / November 29, 2010 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: It's not the computer;

I have now tried three different card readers with the same results as in my above posts. All the readers work fine with SDHC and SD cards with my Windows 7 computer. With my Windows XP computer, all the readers work fine with SD cards. But when I try to copy a file from the memory card in the reader to my hard drive, the copy stops before it completes. So, to me it doesn't seem to be the card reader that is the problem since the same thing happens with three of them (all different brands).

Collapse -
Addendum to my last post
by doowopper / November 29, 2010 9:36 AM PST

The next to last sentence in my last post had something left out. It should read, "But when I try to copy a file from an SDHC memory card in the reader to my hard drive, the copy stops before it completes."
Sorry for the error.

Collapse -
You didn't note if there are any error messages
by Steven Haninger / November 30, 2010 7:27 PM PST

What you might want to do is check the event log to see if you get removable storage errors and what the code is. Your event log might be full so I'd try removing all the entries first. Try the copy routine several times and then check the log. Make sure you're using Windows copy routine and not some 3rd party utility.

Collapse -
Yes it's the card reader
by volvogirl / December 1, 2010 2:40 PM PST

I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension E520 desktop and recently got a new camera and SDHC cards and my Dell can't read them. There is a firmware update to fix it but I just bought a $9 card reader at Fry's. Make sure to get a reader rated for HC cards. Maybe your usb card reader isn't rated for HC either.

Collapse -
1 GB limit
by logcabiny / December 3, 2010 1:47 PM PST

My Toshiba Qosmio only handles up to 1GB SD cards- No SDHC. That is the case with many older readers. They were never designed to access beyond 1GB. See explanation at Wikipedia site for SD cards.

Collapse -
Old reader, new card
by flrhcarr / December 3, 2010 7:12 PM PST

I have run into this question many times. Yes, the old reader isn't made to read the new (SDHC) card. Some readers have an update, but most don't (they expect you to buy a new one).
Be careful when looking for a new reader, as many are still only able to read the older cards. Look for the size of card that it will read, as well as it saying specifically SDHC. If it can, they will "promote" this fact.
Just because people update their OS version, doesn't mean that everything connected to it, will work with the new stuff.
An example, one of my towers (my fav) has the older USB connections, even though it is going to 2.0 prongs on the new motherboard. I use it when I just want to transfer a file (relatively) quickly from one reader or card to another.

Collapse -
Still not sure it is the reader
by doowopper / December 3, 2010 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Old reader, new card

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have tried three card readers with my older Windows XP computer and with my new Windows 7 computer. I tried each reader with an SD card and a 16GB SDHC card. Both computers can handle the SD cards - read, copy from them etc. My Windows 7 computer can handle the SDHC card. My Windows XP computer cannot handle the SDHC card - no errors are presented. I just can't copy files from the reader or read the files from the reader. Same results just presented occur for all three card readers which all state in their manuals that they can handle SDHC cards So, I'm thinking that it may be my old Windows XP computer that can't handle the SDHC cards but I am not sure. That is why I started thes thread.
Thaks again.

Collapse -
by flrhcarr / December 4, 2010 5:41 AM PST

Sorry I missed that.

Are you running SP-2 or 3 on the XP? I didn't have any problem using new readers before running SP-2, but I may have had other things more up to date.
I've only had one issue with a reader stopping & never writing being a cabled cheapy one I picked up. But all of the others I picked up (thumb style), work flawlessly. Even one of them was cheap. I use these to swap files between computers (mine as well as friends). But the one with a cable does not write at all, & has a very hard time copying large files, yet the thumbs do it well. Is it too new for the computer or just a bad reader? Could be both. I doubt it, as those thumb readers work very well in computers running ME (albeit at speed 1).
As long as you have updated the drivers for it, have your XP updated many of the newer add-ons like this, will work. Even with out many of the updates, it should still read & write. As I said, I used the above on XP SP-2 as well.

Just as a curiosity, have you tried a smaller card? I don't have any problem in using 16mb cards, but it could be an issue with your reader.
Even though I run mine on a hub, have you tried a different USB port altogether? Maybe one that doesn't have, or have had other devices connected to it.
Maybe its a Dell thing? I take it they don't offer any advice on this?
Let me know, I'm curious as to why it is such an issue.

Collapse -
Still not sure what is causing the problem
by doowopper / December 4, 2010 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Readers

I am running Windows XP Professional SP-3. I keep it up to date with updates.
I don't have the smaller cards to try, if you mean the physical size of the card. If you mean the capacity of the card, I don't have any small capacity SDHC cards. The small capacity SD cards work fine on my Windows XP computer.
I have used several different USB ports for the three card readers on my Windows XP computer - same problems described earlier with the 16GB SDHC cards regardless of the port.
It does seem odd especially since you wrote that you do not have the problem with your XP computer and SDHC cards. Perhaps it is an SDHC card problem or the combination of an SDHC card and the large capacity of the card (16GB). Or perhaps it is a Dell thing as you suggest. At this point, I am still in the dark.
If you have any other ideas please let me know.
Thanks for your responses.

Collapse -
Quite vexing
by flrhcarr / December 5, 2010 11:45 AM PST

Yes, I meant smaller capacity SDHC cards.
The printer reads the cards when on the Win 7 computer?
I'm wondering if maybe the HP monitor is putting a wrench in the works? Sorry, i don't remember how to turn that feature off or remove it, it has been so many years since I used my HP printer.
With your computer being updated so well it seems to me that there is an issue with either Dell, or one of the monitoring programs Hp or Dell uses.
When you R click on my computer, going to properties, then devices; are there any yellow triangles?
Particularly Disc Drives, Storage Volumes or USB Controllers.
Additionally, when you plug in the reader, do you get any? I'm thinking maybe the driver got messed up.
From there (not being the above), I would look into uninstalling/removing your reader from Device Manager (it should come back when you plug it back in), or you may have a registry error (like a crossed link or something simple). But dinking around with this, can produce some hair pulling if something goes wrong, to the point where system restore doesn't allow you to restore.
And yes, I just popped my thumb reader into my USB 1 slot with an 8 gig SDHC card & transferred an image file. Just to test in case something came up with Windows that I missed. It shouldn't be the card (brand) really, especially where you're reading it elsewhere. If you had access to another XP computer, that'd be super. Your library may have one, just a thought.
Have you tried formatting the card on the computer? Or even in a digital camera if need be. I'm thinking along the lines that the card may be the problem, but that's very rare that it will read in something else.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.