Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Alert

Compuserve email problem

by DavidSCrichton / March 28, 2012 3:07 AM PDT

In 2009 AOL added a requirement to solve an image puzzle when replying to or forwarding emails. A few days ago the same restriction was applied to Compuserve users who are part of AOL. When using a Compuseve email account in Outlook there is no way to access the image input link and attempts to forward or reply are rejected with a system admin message of 554 5.2.1 MUST COMPLETE IMAGE PUZZLE BEFORE SENDING. PLEASE GOTO I have tried various AOL help lines (there is now no Compuserve support) but so far have had no joy. This is a major issue and screwup by AOL! I have another email account an currently have to use this to reply or forward but this is unacceptable in the long term. As a software consultant with over 46 years in the business I am less than impressed...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compuserve email problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compuserve email problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just in case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 3:28 AM PDT

I've seen this fail and then work as I tried it in another browser. Some take that as a failure but as a software author I find it annoying but a fact of how things work today.
Bob

Collapse -
Not heard of that before
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

and it surprises me, that 'forwarded' or 'reply' emails need an image puzzle resolved.

I see you are using Outlook and I can see where this application would not be able to display such an image because it is a stand-alone application.

You gave an error message that ended with "Please Goto". Was there a link with that message? if so, what happens when you click that link?

I see other AOL members have had this problem and an example here;
http://aolanswers.com/questions/reply_message_aol_mail_support_5184183110566?#answers

It seems to be an effort, (misplaced perhaps), to control spam, but the suggestion there was to log in to AOL's web based email, click on the Feedback link, and fill in the details, so I'm wondering if your Compuserve account has the same.

If that fails I can only suggest that you move to your email account's web based alternative using your browser and manage your emails there until this is resolved.

Mark

Collapse -
Compuserve email problem
by Blair1815 / May 20, 2012 2:55 AM PDT

I am not able to get to the compuserve server and access my email. I am using an iPad. I have always been successful with thid ipad. All my attempts through google and safari have failed. I am abroad and cannot phone tech help but note this thread said it does not exist! I am not very technical. Help

Collapse -
Sadly for the non technical that can't call in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

My advice is to use your other email accounts until you get home.
Bob

Collapse -
Issue Resolved?
by DavidSCrichton / May 20, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

As I could not get through to anyone at AOL to report the problem (the UK said I had a US account and the US site required validation which I do not have!) I emailed AOL's Legal department using an email address from an old legal notice. Although I have had no reply or acknowledgement (no surprise there...) the problem seems to have mysteriously gone away. You may wish to draw your own conclusions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.