TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Component video to Yamaha receiver then HDMI to HDTV ?

by Tony J Reynolds / June 6, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

Whenever I go to newsgroups or forums like these I often see posts that I feel the poster could have answered themselves if they had searched the Internet a little more thoroughly. Consequently I have read the manuals for my equipment, tinkered with the settings, e-mailed Yamaha (no answer) but still can find no solution to my issue. Perhaps someone can help.
DVD player: JVC XV N40BK - 3 yrs old
Yamaha receiver: HTR-6160 - 3 days old
TV: Toshiba 42HL167 - 6 months old
The problem: No picture on the TV.
The DVD player is connected to the Yamaha receiver using component video and digital coax. The receiver is connected to the TV input with one HDMI cable. The receiver plays audio from my concert DVDs so it 'sees' the DVD player. The Yamaha input source feature says this about the DVD when the DVD is on: HDMI SIGNAL is Analog to HDMI; HDMI RES is Composite to 480/576p; ANALOG RES is 480/576i. I have checked the component video is connected to the correct jacks on the receiver. The receiver has video conversion turned on. These are quotes from the Yamaha owner's manual:
On Page 18 ?

"The analog video signals input at the composite video, S-video
and component video jacks can be digitally up-converted to be
output at the HDMI OUT jack. Set ?VIDEO CONV.? to ?ON?
in ?MANUAL SETUP? (see page 97) to activate this feature."

On Page 19 ?

"The analog component video signals with 1080p of resolution
are only output at the COMPONENT VIDEO MONITOR OUT
jacks."

On Page 21 ?

"When ?VIDEO CONV.? is set to ?ON? (see page 97), the
converted video signals are output only at the MONITOR OUT
jacks. To record a source, make the same type of video
connections between each component."

It seems like the statement on Page 18 contradicts the other two statements.

Anyway, one final note: I noticed an error on the TV screen that I didn't catch all of before it disappeared. It said something about 'HDMI blocked' and I don't even know if that came from the TV or the receiver. The cable box works fine by the way: optical digital audio out and DVI video out, both sent to the receiver, and the receiver sends both audio and video successfully to the TV using one HDMI cable. And yes, I do know enough to tell the receiver which component I am using!

I am probably doing something really dumb - fiddling with this as long as I have, maybe I am missing something obvious or maybe the statements in the manual are confusing me.
At the moment I have reverted to component video direct to the TV from the DVD but I wanted to be able to route everything through the receiver.

Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Component video to Yamaha receiver then HDMI to HDTV ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Component video to Yamaha receiver then HDMI to HDTV ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No picture on TV?
by ahtoi / June 6, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

Ok, lets tackle one at a time. What do you want to see? I know you have dvd but do you have over-the-air tv, cable or satellite?

Collapse -
No picture on TV ?
by Tony J Reynolds / June 6, 2008 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: No picture on TV?

The issue is that I have no picture on the TV when I am trying to watch a DVD. If I want to watch TV programs, I use my HD cable box. This displays fine on the TV and the audio is fine. When I want to watch a DVD, the audio from the DVD is fine but there is no picture on the screen from the DVD. I have no-over-the air TV, and no satellite signal. The components I mentioned in the first post are the complete setup - a TV, a cable box, a DVD player, and a receiver.

Collapse -
The manual maybe a little bit confusing, but...
by ahtoi / June 7, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No picture on TV ?

not contradicted as I understand it. Of coarse I don't know why you are not getting any video out (with component in). To get around this, have you try connecting the tv to the "monitor out"? You are not going to get much upscaling through the hdmi connections anyway, at least not through the receiver as far as I can tell (480p/568p).

Collapse -
hm
by jostenmeat / June 7, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

interesting cuz usually its the cable box that is problematic due to lack of hdcp repeaters, or handshake issues. the "hdmi blocked" thing you got could be that... some sort of hdcp handshake issue??? dunno.

pg 19: i thought component conn can only do max of 1080i, not 1080p?

that's cool that your receiver can combine both dvi video, and optical audio, and output as one hdmi.

well, the upsides:

1 you can get everything to work, as long as dvd is connected direct to tv. this is what we usually recommend here anyways for best pq. the only time i ever rec running to receiver is to obtain lossless audio, which you are not getting anyways.

2 when you ever get a new dvd player, im sure the hdmi conn to receiver will work fine.

3 by running the component conn direct to tv, you are also able to have separate video settings for dvd vs cable tv. a lot of tv is watched during the day it seems, with a lot of movies at night. if you wanted, you could have cable hdmi input set as brighter, and the dvd component input tv settings as more "accurate".... or something...

just trying to be positive Happy

the only thing i see you suffering is clicking a button on a remote one time to watch a movie. opening my beer takes more effort than that. Silly

Collapse -
Just one closing comment..
by Tony J Reynolds / June 7, 2008 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: hm

I found an old cable and was able to connect to the TV from the receiver using the component video out jacks - as two of the manuals comments seemed to be suggesting - and I got a picture from the DVD. The picture was not as good as going direct from the DVD via component video to the TV so I have adopted that connection as the one to go with.

Thank you all for the input. By the way, when did audio and video get so complicated. All these new standards seem to be so complex even after I try to study up on them a bit. But I know that when I do buy a new DVD Blu Ray player in the not too distant future, at least everything will be up to date - for a while !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.