Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Complicated Problem. Cannot install windows.

by ompixie / December 12, 2012 9:19 AM PST

Hello,

I have come here after 3 days of despair, trying out everything possible, googling and asking my friends. The story is long and maybe the details are significant to the solution.

It all began after I bought Monopoly from Steam. The game would crash in the roll dice screen and I found out my system did not meet the requirements. I had Windows XP Pro SP2 but it needed SP3. So I installed SP3 but the problem was not resolved.

I wanted to reinstall windows and tried to do that from my folders in my second hard drive. For some reason it started to copy some files needed for the installation and the first time it installed them on my third external drive. I dismounted it and then it did that on C. But it did not work. Then I decided to try and reinstall windows from a cd. I entered in Bios the correct priority and then a boot menu came up, Windows XP and Windows XP Setup. So I clicked setup. This was the first sign that something really strange is going on but I did not suspect. I thought I was booting from the cd rom, but in fact something else was booting! In the next setup screens I could not find any option to format and then install, so I tried to install anyway to see what happens. The result was two windows on C and malfunctioning.... Booted again from cd (or so I thought) and tried to delete C. But it would not because some files were needed for the set up!! I was very frustrated. In the end I found out that the cd I had burn had many errors and that I was supposed to write it on the slowest speed. I burnt a second cd and tried again. No success. Then I thought I would just restore an older image I had from my M disk. But the program could not identify the disks. I had done that manytimes but now I was not able to restore the image, probably because windows was messed up by the two installations. I tried to format C through cmd without success. And then I opened Partition Magic and formated C through it. But it gave some errors. Now the pc gives this message: NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I googled some solutions but the problem is, I cant get the pc to boot from a cd.

I thought maybe I did not burn the cd correct so I burnt another from my netbook and the external cd-drive I thankfully have. But the pc gives this message: Searching for Boot Record from CD/DVD-0. Not found
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0. O
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Now I am thinking whether the bootable dvd was not burnt correctly from my netbook. In the past I had some problems with music cds burnt from this drive. But when I put it inside, I can see all files.

So I am at a loss. Any ideas and suggestions greately apreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Complicated Problem. Cannot install windows.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Complicated Problem. Cannot install windows.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It seems you are creating issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 9:54 AM PST

Why not get out your original XP and install from that? If lost, get another. Your creation of such from files on any HDD should result in a bum CD. There are some that can't bring themselves to install XP like it's been done for over a decade.

I can't explain why.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by ompixie / December 12, 2012 10:45 AM PST

Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy another Windows CD.

As far as why I cannot bring myself to install xp like all the geniouses like you do I can only say that you are being elitist. And your casual attitude of superiority does not help me solve my problem.

Collapse -
What happened to your original XP CD
by wpgwpg / December 12, 2012 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: ??

and why are you burning CDs? What are you burning CDs from? What Bob is asking you is why not boot from the original XP install CD? Calm down and provide the requested info if you want us to help you. Throwing stones is not the way to get help.

Collapse -
I apologize if that was felt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: ??

I only asked why not do this the way it's been done for over a decade. If you want to create a new way then you get to figure it out.

If you look into this issue you find folk have tried putting the files for XP set on CD for years and lost an awful amount of time. My advice is to stop losing time and get the right CD.

It's like changing a tire without a lug wrench. Possible but it will take a long time as you bang the rock against the nut.
Bob

Collapse -
by ompixie / December 13, 2012 1:07 PM PST

Burning an iso that contains windows on a cd hardly can be called a new way to cread a windows cd. It looks like my cds work fine when I tried to boot them from another pc. They just wont work on mine. The cd drive worked perfectly before the windows destruction. Still I will try to find a way to eliminate the possibility that it is damaged.

Collapse -
That's a very good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: ....

I didn't notice that before.

The most common reason for that is an old CD drive. Try the lens cleaner and the another drive. You're repeating some very common issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 7:23 PM PST
Collapse -
I have IDE
by ompixie / December 14, 2012 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drive

Unfortunately my motherboard only has IDE connection. And I cant find a shop here that sells IDE drives. I am looking into what lens cleaner is.

BTW I disconnected the hard disks and tried to boot from linux live cd again and it still doesnt boot. So things are pointing towards the dvd drive.

Collapse -
I see them at amazon, newegg.com and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: I have IDE

Sometimes geeks.com.

The failure you are experiencing is thankfully common. So is the fix.
Bob

Collapse -
was your original cd
by itsdigger / December 12, 2012 10:52 AM PST

from Microsoft or from a torrent site? If it was a torrent than expect those problems.

Collapse -
by ompixie / December 13, 2012 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: was your original cd

I just burnt the backup I had on my external drive and because I was unsure I tried several torrents.

It turns out all cds work fine when I tried them on a different computer. They are perfectly normal bootable windows cds.

The problem remains that the pc wont boot from the internal cd drive.

Either the cd drive is not working or ?

I tried booting from my external cd rom but the bios does not see it.

Collapse -
maybe the drive is bad
by itsdigger / December 13, 2012 1:39 PM PST

I would have to refer you to other people here like Bob Proffitt to figure that out. I do know that torrents are nothing but trouble....Digger

Collapse -
You can buy USB DVD/CD drives
by wpgwpg / December 14, 2012 3:14 AM PST

for around $30. You can also buy IDE to SATA converters and expansion cards with SATA ports. I've booted from external DVD/CD drives before, so I know they work with a lot of computers. YMMV. Most places that sell computers will sell kits to clean DVD/CD drives for around $10.

Collapse -
wont boot from external
by ompixie / December 14, 2012 3:35 AM PST

I got an external dvd drive and it wont get listed in the boot priority list.But I will look into the rest. Do you have to open the cd drive to clean it? I ve never done anything like that. Grin

Collapse -
thx
by ompixie / December 14, 2012 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: here's how

Thanks!!! Definetely will do that!!

Somehow MAGICALLY my pc now boots from the external disk drive. Reason unknown. It looks like my problems might be solved.

A big thank you to everyone for their patience!

Collapse -
You don't open the drive to clean it.
by wpgwpg / December 14, 2012 9:04 AM PST

The cleaning kit for a DVD/CD drive comes with a special disc and some drops. You put the drops on that disc and put it in your drive for a minute or so. It's simple and easy to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.