Cameras forum

Question

Complete beginner - Budget 3000 euros - Dslr for video

by crazyponytail / October 7, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

Hello cneters!

My name is crazyponytail and I am thinking of buying a DSLR for video recording. My budget is max 3000 euros.

Now I am not necesarily spending all of that since I do understand that I am a complete beginner with no knowledge of this stuff and maybe I dont need top notch **** at the moment.

However I want to underline that I will be going at this new impulse of mine with a 120% dedication. I will not have a day-time job, this camera will be my daily routine, so im thinking that more advanced features might come to be useful sooner or later for me as I will be spending a lot of time with it.

So what im looking at getting is a DSLR and a lens for shooting video. My final goal is to make my own documentary.

What would you guys recommend me to get?

So shoot: A guy who knows nothing about photography is buying a camera. In time he will know alot. What camera and equipment would be wise to get, thinking that I dont want to buy a semi good camera now only to have to then spend more money on a better camera later.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Complete beginner - Budget 3000 euros - Dslr for video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Complete beginner - Budget 3000 euros - Dslr for video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Before you go there. Consider this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 7:12 AM PDT

Many DSLRs still overheat and limit you in that way and may royally cheese you off. Here's a prior discussion on that and DO NOT THINK for a minute it's just that model that does this.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=dslr+overheats+during+video

If you can get over that I suggest you move forward except add a second device for the audio track. Then just like they taught us in film school, select the best audio tracks later in post production.
Bob

Collapse -
So how about cameras?
by crazyponytail / October 7, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

I kind of like the fact that DSLRs are problematic. I like that fact that you can produce real high end quality footage but at the cost of having to put time and effort into it.

The overheating problem, Iv undestood, can be worked around.

A good work around is to swap batteries, since its the battery overheating, swapping the battery to a cold battery will work.

Another good way of getting around it is to actually change how you hold the camera. Since you are holding your hand over the battery compartment you are actually helping in the process of overheating the darn thing. So mounting the camera to a "holding peg" (I have no clue on what they are called, im a noob remember) would be a fine workaround too.

Umbrellas are also a good way, if we are talking about sun hitting directly at the camera.

Correct me if im wrong but this is the impression I get from various sources on the internet.

Now, I was wondering what you guys would think about me getting a canon 7D?

My gut feeling tells me that lenses are more important when using a DSLR for shooting video.

So rather than getting a 5d mark II which would eat up half of my budget, I was thinking maybe a 7D would do it. That would leave me with plenty of dollaz for lenses and other equipment such as sound and mounts.

What do you guys think?

(I am still researching this whole thing "as we speak", so yes I do understand that I come off as very hasty, im not going to make some crazy quick-buy here. I will of course research a lot more before I buy anything)

Collapse -
damn
by crazyponytail / October 7, 2013 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: So how about cameras?

I ment to say canon eos 70D

Collapse -
Video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

I too wonder why you are looking for the wrong tool.
A HD video is only 1920 x 1080.
The DSLR is capable of well over 4416 x 2944 (still pictures)
Those extra pixels will not help video.

The only thing the DSLR can affect (over a camcorder) is depth of field with certain lenses and lighting.

Besides overheating, there is poor sound quality and uncertain focus ability.on action shots.

Canon does build a camera that functions well as a DSLR and a Video camera.
But it is very expensive.
Canon C100

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=944453&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Collapse -
re: since its the battery overheating
by MarkatNite / October 8, 2013 9:09 AM PDT

>"A good work around is to swap batteries, since its the battery overheating, swapping the battery to a cold battery will work."

Where did you hear/read this? I've been shooting video on large sensor, interchangeable lens, hybrid photo/video cameras since the GH1 came out in 2009 (currently using a GH2 and T4i, soon to upgrade to a 70D and BMPC) and this is the first time I've ever heard this.

And it is not correct, in my experience - Mark

Collapse -
My son tried that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

Swapping batteries didn't help. He had to wait for it to cool off.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
re: Budget 3000 euros - Dslr for video
by MarkatNite / October 7, 2013 3:11 PM PDT

At that budget, you're much better off getting a dedicated video camera (like a Panasonic AG-AC90). Unless you're willing to at least double your budget to include a cage, rails, follow focus, matte box, tripod/monopod/glidecam/slider, external mic, field mixer, audio recorder, external monitor, external video recorder, lights, diffusers, C-stands, etc. and even then, unless you shoot scripted narrative features where you have time to setup, block, light, do multiple takes, etc., then you might want to consider a large sensor, interchangeable lens, hybird photo/video camera.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.