Samsung forum

General discussion

Compatible Webcam for Samsung TVs - skype app

by cyberjm / May 31, 2010 11:43 PM PDT

Hello there,

I am wondering if the freetalk TV for samsung 7000 and 8000 series ( is the only compatible.
I was about to buy a cheap freetalk but I realized that they do not have microphone...

I am interested in getting information on compatible webcams.
First of the list : my Hercules deluxe webcam does not work on my C8000 TV.

Understand my question : I am not looking for a way to hack the TV or add new drivers to it. I am looking for compatible webcams (with microphone) "out of the box".

Best regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compatible Webcam for Samsung TVs - skype app
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compatible Webcam for Samsung TVs - skype app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

If you're looking to purchase a unit other than the one listed as approved by Skype, I can't suggest that it's going to work. The one you linked to has a Microphone (four of them, actually) and background noise filtering. I don't know of any other unit out of the box that will work with the C8000 TVs.

Collapse -
by cyberjm / June 3, 2010 7:50 PM PDT

Thanks for you answer. I am not ready to spend 149.99 USD or 155.95 euros (what a loosy exchange rate by the way) just to chat with my TV... But if I found a 60 euros camera, I would buy it. See what I mean ? I do not intend to use it professionnaly... it is more a geek approach Wink
Do you know if there is a way to plug a microphone in the C8000 series?
Have a nice day/weekend

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2010 2:58 PM PDT

I'm not aware of anything other than the camera device on the Skype website that will work with the C8000 TVs. I don't know of any microphone set that would work as an alternative.

Collapse -
Mic only for 8000 TV using skype
by PerryGarrod / October 27, 2010 6:55 AM PDT

Is there a voice only option for using skype on my Samsung?

Can any USB mic work?

Like the other chap, I'm reluctant to spend 150 when I'd be happy just to be able to talk.

Collapse -
Mic only for 8000 TV using skype
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2010 10:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung TV webcam joke
by MakkaPakka / February 7, 2011 3:26 PM PST

I can't believe this, just acquired a C8000 and only to find there's only 1 overpriced webcam that can work with my Samsung TV. That's ridiculous and an example of an overhyped marketing feature that has no practical value. $149 for a webcam that only works with my Samsung C8000 and not my Windows or Mac computer? Insulting!

Collapse -
Extremely disappointing Samsung Skype webcam options
by Gunoz--2008 / February 10, 2011 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung TV webcam joke

So the only choice we have is $149 for a 640x480 webcam without a microphone? Meanwhile the Panasonic webcam is $119 for 1280x720 with 4 unidirectional microphones. Good thing having Skype for TV wasn't a deciding factor or I wouldn't have gotten the C8000.

Collapse -
by somaamos / April 5, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

Does anyone know what the underlying chipset used in the Freetalk 7180 camera is? Maybe we can find another webcam that will work...

Collapse -
Looked at again
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Chipset?
Collapse -
by rpesciotta / March 31, 2011 7:45 PM PDT

I understand that is the only one current available.
However, it produces only a simple VGA quality image, and I am looking for a webcam that can do at least HD (720p) image.

Are there currently plans of other vendors to start producing webcams for Samsung TVs? If so, when should we expect them in the market.

Alternatively, isn't there going to be a FREETALK camera with better resolution?

Collapse -
Surprised by samsung
by MrBurgies / May 16, 2012 3:52 PM PDT

My experience with the Galaxy SII has made me fall in love with Samsung, to the point where I put my hard earned money into buying a new Smart TV. I love the intergration of all your products, and im really surprised that there is no option in the Remote App to use a Samsung phone as the webcam for skype. This would be a genious solution, but I am guessing in order to get skype on the tv, you have agreed to only allow their products to be used.

Collapse -
by goneil99 / April 9, 2011 6:10 PM PDT

I couldnt agree more with the previous replies. I've been conned like you... If you think US$149 is a lot, think of us poor suckers in Australia, its about the eqiv of $US220 here.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 11, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

How can that be?

As of this morning: 1 US dollar = 0.9525 Australian dollars

I understand where people may not like the fact that options are limited, but this is a feature that both companies agreed on would best service the customer. Beyond that, there's not much else I can offer.

Collapse -
by goneil99 / April 11, 2011 5:12 PM PDT

I know, I know... this is the point that you as Samsung' representative seems to miss, the point that everyone is making is that the whole thing sucks. For me its as though Skype and Samsung have got together to see how much more they can squeeze out of us mugs. The one and only web camera that works is AU$211 on the skype website below.

Based on the exchange rate you gave above thats USD$221 PLUS add to that the AU$85 I had to pay for the Samsung Wifi dongle means I have to pay US$310 just to make skype calls! You can just about buy a whole 42" LCT TV for that in Sydney. I can't even surf the web.

Let me repeat it will cost me and any other mug in Australia US$310 to just access Skype.

I am happy with the Samsung LCD LED TV, but I paid a premium to buy it because of what I thought was the ability to surf the Web and have Skype access using my existing webcam. I could have bought other 55" LCD LED TVs for AU$5-600 less, so you see why we feel the way we do? Your remark about sending it back comes across as patronizing.

Collapse -
Compatible Webcam for Samsung TVs - skype app -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 12, 2011 6:05 AM PDT

I didn't even make a remark in this thread about sending it back. Different topic, and something I said 6 months ago to someone else that "just purchased" a TV he wasn't happy with. How was that directed to you or this situation?

I am happy with the Samsung LCD LED TV, but I paid a premium to buy it because of what I thought was the ability to surf the Web and have Skype access using my existing webcam. I could have bought other 55" LCD LED TVs for AU$5-600 less..

But who said that you could do that?

It's possible that you could hook up your computer and use the TV as a monitor to use Skype with your existing computer setup. Then the computer is wireless (no dongle, no extra price) and has a cam already (no extra price).

Collapse -
by goneil99 / April 12, 2011 6:54 PM PDT

To address your comments:
You are quite correct that this remark you made about "if you are not happy send it back" is in another exactly related thread about the Skype Webcam and also includes internet TV which if readers of this forum wish to find can be done easily by just searching. You caused quite an uproar from several bloggers who were obviously quite irritated by your remark. Further there was many complaints from ordinary people who felt misslead by Samsung in that they have to buy a substandard Skype webcam for US$149 or in my case in Australia ~US$221. The price was disproportional to the quality of the product. However what really irritated your unhappy customers was that it is the ONLY product that works with the Samsung if you want to use Skype.

Who said I could do that:
Samsung said that I could use Skype and Internet TV from my Samsung. I purchased a Samsung 7000 series LCD LED 3D 55" TV in February this year from probably the biggest retailer of this sort of TV in Australia. It has Skype and Internet TV all over the box and all over the retailers promotional stuff. For me it was a selling point.

I will try hooking up my laptop or my desktop and see how that goes and put it down to experience.

I don't intend to comment further on this matter as it is fruitless and is going round in circles, I just hope that it helps people to have the full picture and not the Samsung glossy one. Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned but I believe to survive in a world of instantaneous communication to world wide audiences manufacturers should listen very carefully to what keeps them in business and repeat the mantra "The customer is always right".

Take care

Collapse -
web cam for samsung
by nosys70 / April 14, 2011 8:57 AM PDT

there is camera made by samsung, the CY-ST1100 and it is 1280x720 if your TV is from serie 8000.
for serie 6 and 7000 it works only on 640x480.

Collapse -
CY-STC1100 for 2011 TVs
by somaamos / April 14, 2011 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: web cam for samsung
Collapse -
Crappy Attitude!
by Syawillim / May 12, 2011 9:08 AM PDT

I've come across this thread because I've just purchased a UA40D6600, one of the reasons I selected this model was because I wanted to get the kids away from the computer when they are speaking with their grandparents on Skype, small children and computers don't mix. So the inclusion of Skype on a good TV was a bonus.

I'm now more than a little disappointed to find that Skype is virtually useless without the one over priced web camera that it is compatible with. But shame on me for not researching this better.

What is also surprising is your responses to people that are genuinely upset and feel that they have been ripped off, your comments sound like they are coming from a child in a school yard. I really hope that you are not a 'Samsung Online Brand Ambassador', if your responses are any indication of the what can be expected from Samsung.

Collapse -
Price of cam and dongle in Brazil
by robertorezende / May 11, 2011 11:58 AM PDT

Be happy!
Things in your country are cheaper than in Brazil.
Here the cam costs USD$ 240,00 and the wi-fi dongle another 120,00.
Oh! And the 55 inch c8000 3d led tv is about USD$ 4.500,00!!!
I think I will buy a Panasonic TV. It seems the camera is cheaper. I will search for more information on this.

Collapse -
Samsung Tech Support-CY-STC1100 doesn't work with C series
by jsimmons_72 / May 13, 2011 11:17 AM PDT

In regards to the compatibility of the Samsung CY-STC1100 TV camera with other Samsung products, I received this from Samsung Tech Support:
"camera will only work with D series for the skype application. they need to buy the skpe camera to use the skype application on C series."

Collapse -
CY-STC1100 doesn't work with C series
by moirakay / May 13, 2011 12:17 PM PDT

You say that tech support says that if you have the C series you have to buy the skype what is the skpe camera they are referring to?

Collapse -
CY-STC1100 doesn't work with C series
by moirakay / May 13, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

Sorry that should have been skype not skpe.

I found this skype camera - FREETALK

Collapse -
Is that on the page?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmmm... no option now?
by somaamos / September 4, 2011 1:49 AM PDT

The Freetalk 7180 for 2010 models does not appear to be for sale anymore on Skype or Samsung sites.

Collapse -
Another option from Samsung
by madslacks / July 12, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another option from Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 13, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

Collapse -
7000/8000/9000 Series TV
by elitedata / July 13, 2011 11:48 PM PDT

Not to start a flame war, but if you can afford to pay for a high end series model, then $149 for a camera supported by the tv should be a minor expense in comparative cost to the set itself.
Would you change the oil on your BMW 7 Series for $300 or take it to Pep Boys ?

Collapse -
[flame war start]
by TeeVee123 / July 5, 2012 9:51 AM PDT

I guess you don't mind being nickel'd and dime'd to death. Even BMW is giving 4 years of service free with a new purchase so pick your examples better.

Collapse -
Samsung is getting unpleasant
by fvenier / August 6, 2011 9:23 PM PDT

I come across this thread too late.

I bought my UE55D8000 for 3 reasons:
1) Image quality - Partially disappointed
2) SmartTV functionalities (i.e. Browser and Skype) Totally disappointed
3) The screen doesn't get hot like a radiator - Happy

Regarding image quality, I have to say that the left half of my screen is lighter than the other.
I didn't find any tune to fix it. It looks like the led on one edge are stronger than the other.

Regardin SmartTV, Samsung is getting very unpleasant to me.
why ?
Easy, a company that spend time and money to intentionally disable features is unpleasant.

For instance, did you try the web browser? It works fine indeed, it looks even better than my ipad !
Are you using it? I am sure, not at all !
Why ? Because without a keyboard you spend too much time trying to type the URL and, once you get the page, it is a pain to move around wihout a mouse.
What every user would have done at this point ?
Simple, run to the other room and grab the Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard from the PC and plug the two receivers to two USB ports of your bright new TV.
What a delusion to see that both of them are not working !
How did they tested the browser in Samsung lab ? I have no doubt, they used a keyboard and a mouse otherwise they couldn't complete the test with the IR remote. And than, why they disabled the feature ? I have my personal opinion here, but I dont want to influence you guys.

Same story for Skype.
As soon as I had my WiFi connection working I completed the Skype configuration... just to discover that the my expensive TV was missing even the cheapest microfone. So, out of the box, you can't use skype even for a simple voice call.

I spent hours surfing the web to find a Keyboard, Mouse and Webcam that is FOR SURE supported by my UE55D8000, but no clear information is available, only confusing marketing stuffs.

Well, sorry for the long tale,
Is there anyone who could advice about Keyboard, Mouse and Webcam that is FOR SURE supported by my UE55D8000 ?

Thank you

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.