Dell forum

General discussion

Compatible hardware for my Dell Desktop

by anaigini45 / March 20, 2013 9:02 PM PDT

I have a Dell Desktop (Dell Optiplex GX 520) that is used in my company.

They have requested an upgrade for that desktop. Currently there is only 2GB RAM used for it. They want to upgrade to 4GB. And the RAM type is DDR2 533MHz. (PC2 4300).

However, many local computer shops do not have this spec available for use.

Also, they want to upgrade the hard disk to 500GB. Is this possible? Or even 1 TB is it possible??

The smallest frequency that most shops have for RAMs is 667 MHz, DDR2 RAMs. I am afraid that if I use this, it will cause incompatibility. (I have experienced it before - using a RAM with larger frequency, and it beeps 1-3-3-1 : 28 Autosize DRAM).

Please advise on what I have to do to meet their requirements?? Do I get a new motherboard to support the RAM and 500 GB hard disk??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compatible hardware for my Dell Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compatible hardware for my Dell Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 9:36 PM PDT

Why limit yourself to local computer shops? Go to crucial or kingston, use their memory finder that will give you compatible RAM and order it.

Replacing a disk usually is no problem, unless the BIOS or OS (Windows 98, Windows XP without service packs) is very old and doesn't support a 500 GB or 1 TB disk. But my 2007 MSI machine, running XP, accomodated a 1 TB disc without any problem. In case of doubt, check the user manual or ask Dell.

Kees

Collapse -
Vintage stuff
by bob b / March 20, 2013 11:51 PM PDT

As mentioned.......Crucial.

Ram.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=OptiPlex%20GX520&Cat=RAM

Hd.
That could be a problem.
Your playing with the old IDE stuff.
A Hd of 500GB/1TB with that interface might require some shopping.
If you can bring it down to the 300GB area those still show on the radar.

As for swapping the mobo.
With an OEM machine........don't go there.......it's a can of worms.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.