PC Applications forum

General discussion

Compare Notepad and Wordpad

by bently / February 21, 2006 12:37 AM PST

I noticed that you can NOT paste a Screenshot on Notepad, but can on Wordpad.

Wordpad saves as TXT and Notepad saves as RTF or TXT.

Is there any reason to have Notepad ?

Just wondering....

Ben

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compare Notepad and Wordpad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compare Notepad and Wordpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because two is better...
by John.Wilkinson / February 21, 2006 12:50 AM PST

Honestly, I have no idea why Microsoft hasn't combined them into one program, and my only guess would be that Microsoft goes along with the thought that two is better than one. Remember that the next time you see a set of headlights coming at you! Devil Seriously though, Microsoft set up a page that is supposed to explain why two seperate programs exist...click here to be 'enlightened.'

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Notepad is TXT only, Wordpad can also be RTF
by ChuckT / February 21, 2006 4:41 AM PST

You had it backward. Notepad only saves as TXT.
Notepad TXT file, or any TXT files, using whatever program, will only be the ASCII (which could also be Unicode - an extended set of ASCII made to provide for international language) characters.

In TXT files there is no font information (size, color, face, etc.), just the text. In TXT files there can be no image data. Again ... text text and more text.

Every word processing program, and a lot of other programs, as well, can read TXT files. But there will be no formatting maintained other than (possibly) line breaks and some indenting - if done so by tabs or space characters.

In Notepad you may notice a setting for selection the font, but all that does is change the appearance of your file while using the Notepad program. That selection does not reside in the TXT file itself.

Wordpad can be used to open, create and edit TXT files, in addition it can also handle Unicode fonts as well. PLUS Wordpad can be used to create, open, and save as RTF (Rich Text Format) files. RTF files can include font information and graphics. RTF files can also contain page setup information, such as the overall page size and orientation. RTF files are sort of the transportable file format for documents that can contain formatting that you want to maintain. RTF files be read by nearly every featured word processing program (Word, WordPerfect, etc.)

-------
And to really make it sound confusing Happy ...
Notepad can be "told" to open an RTF file. But doing so, you will not see an easily understandable file, UNLESS you are well versed in the language of RTF. RTF data is actually written in standard ACSII, but it is a language and can get quite involved, especially when "describing" (in ASCII) a graphic (not for the faint of heart).

So, why are there both Notepad and Wordpad programs given with Windows? Notepad is a quick, small, and text only file manipulator, whereas Wordpad is a bit larger, slower to open, but more feature rich.

Collapse -
Slight correction. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 22, 2006 8:55 AM PST

Notepad has a font choice. Format, Font, pick one. The default is the machine font.

Wink

Collapse -
That's not a correction
by ChuckT / February 23, 2006 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Slight correction. . .

I said "In Notepad you may notice a setting for selection the font, but all that does is change the appearance of your file while using the Notepad program. That selection does not reside in the TXT file itself.

That means that you can change the font to anything your system allows and it only results in the appearance of the text in that Notepad window. It does not insert and font selection into the actual file you are viewing at the time. Until you change it again, any file you open with Notepad will also use that same font. It is only an appearance selection.

Collapse -
And....
by Papa Echo / February 21, 2006 6:58 AM PST

Notepad files can be opened with edit if you need to work with the DOS emulator...

Collapse -
I was just wondering if I was missing something.
by bently / February 21, 2006 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: And....

OOPS!

I knew that Wordpad opened RTF & TXT, got my fingers all tangled up when typing the original post.

I was wondering if I was missing something about Notepad. I have WORDPAD in QUICK LAUNCH along with SHOW DESKTOP and open EXPLORER.EXE.

I seldom use Word as I find Wordpad to be all I need for 99% of all the text work I do. (wish it had spell check)

Appreciate all the replies.

Ben

Collapse -
Re: wish it had spell check
by ChuckT / February 22, 2006 4:24 AM PST

You can get the FREE program called ''tinySpell'' which adds a spell checker to almost every window you type in. It can run while also using your Word spell-checker without conflict. tinySpell allows you to add to its dictionary (it already has over 110,000 words built-in), and it will allow you quick access to what may be the correct spelling of whatever word it 'beeped' on.

In addition to the spell-check as you type, you can tell it to spell-check the window/file/document you may be in at the time.

Collapse -
RE: wish it had spell check
by caktus / February 22, 2006 5:17 AM PST

That's why I usually just open Word. Besides, it also makes many other features available.

Collapse -
What I use NotePad for is....
by MsKat2665 / February 22, 2006 7:40 AM PST

I use NotePad a lot (I even have it in my quick launch toolbar), for example:

* To manipulate the Hosts file.
* To paste text copied from the internet -it lost all the formmating and it is faster than open Word and paste in text format; this is specially usefull when you want to send the info by email later...
* Write quick notes for myself (I tried with a Notes program by Post-It, but I didn't like to have an extra program running, and have to pay for it!).
* To paste and edit long Access formulas, and copy and paste them directly in the Access querys without worry about undesirable TABS, end of paragraph marks, etc.
* To edit HTML. (You can use also special software for that, but for small changes is perfect, also NotePad never add anything by itself)

If I need text with format and images, then I use Word, so I can draw objects (lines, circles, etc), make tables, etc.; I think I haven't opened WordPad in a year! And I used to teach it years ago!

Thanks,

Vero

Collapse -
In the olden days, we needed it
by mcnairjunior / February 25, 2006 12:27 PM PST

When word processors came around that could format text, paragraphs, etc., we could not use them to write the little programs we had to use in DOS in order to make things work the way we needed them to work. We did not have color. We had a black screen to work in and unless you typed something that would create a command, you are still looking at a black screen.

Notepad has always been a little programmer.

These days, I always have Notepad open right along side my graphics program to take notes or to follow instructions, or side by side almost any application to record steps when I'm creating.

I do newsletters. Most of my incoming news comes to my desk via E-Mail, but you cannot paste most email text right into a publishing program because it makes a mess. It needs to be cleaned up. That's what Notepad can do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.