Cameras forum

General discussion

Compare between Nikon Coolpix P100 and Canon SX20 IS

by laxmi_katepalli22 / February 22, 2010 1:05 AM PST

Hi Cnet Team,

First I want to wish you Congrats for maintaining this much big Website for all reviewes.

I want to purchase a camera so I want to know which one is good in terms of photo quality between Nikon Coolpix P100 and Canon SX20 IS.

Please let me know your comments so that I will buy a good one.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compare between Nikon Coolpix P100 and Canon SX20 IS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compare between Nikon Coolpix P100 and Canon SX20 IS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too Early To Tell
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 7:15 AM PST

The Nikon P100 was just released and there have been no reviews or sample photos available yet.

But judging from the P90, I would expect the P100 to be a toss up with the Canon SX20 IS.

Nikon appears to be using their newer CMOS sensors in the P100 which would give it an advantage in lower light situations.

You should expect a newer Canon camera by August, it might be called the SX30 IS.
It will likely perform better in low light too.

Here is a comparison of the cameras mentioned:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sx20is%2Cnikon_cpp100%2Cnikon_cpp90&show=all

Collapse -
by laxmi_katepalli22 / February 22, 2010 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Too Early To Tell

Hi Cnet,

Thank you very much for your details.

I really appreciate your help, I want to let you know that I saw an review in Cnet by giving review as Very good.

Could you please help me after reviewing the full camera.

I will wait until that then I will purchase based on your suggestion.

Thanks,
Laxmi

Collapse -
P100 - SX20
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 12:04 AM PST

I read the CNET review of both and that only makes it more difficult to choose.

They are not pleased with the picture quality with the P100.
They also complain about the picture quality on the SX20.

The reason for the picture quality on the P100 is the new Sony CMOS sensor they are using.
Sony had the same problem with that Sensor.
They put it in the Sony TX1 and WX1.
Lots of gripes about picture quality on the WX1.
The TX1 produced better quality pictures.
Then after 6 months they released the Sony TX7 and it gets rave reviews for picture quality.

That tells me that the sensor is OK, now they are learning how to use it better.

I would give the P100 another year, and let the engineers learn more about the CMOS sensor.

The problem with the SX20 is the same problem that just about all small digital cameras have. The CCD sensor causes too much noise.
If they had a less noisy sensor they would have a true winner.

Canon is also getting further into the CMOS sensors.
They put out the SX1 (with Canon CMOS) in Aug of 2008.
It too had image quality problems.
They just completed a 500 million dollar CMOS building in Japan.
I look for the replacement for the SX20 (I will call SX30) to show up about August. It will likely have a Canon CMOS sensor with could make the SX30 much better than the SX20.
Canon engineers have had time to know how to implement their CMOS sensor, and the problems should be solved.

Bottom Line:
I would wait for the SX30 and see what we get.

Collapse -
by laxmi_katepalli22 / February 23, 2010 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: P100 - SX20

Hi,

Thank you very much for your information.

I know I am disturbing you, could you please suggest me one camera with best picture quality so that I will but that now then after releasing Canon SX30 I prefer that the reason to ask you is I came to Canada recently and I would like to take many photos so if you suggest one good camera with excellent photo quality then I will buy that one.

Collapse -
Best Picture Quality
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 4:57 AM PST

That presents a problem:

The two cameras you mention are both big zoom cameras.

The camera I would suggest for best picture quality is not a big zoom camera.
I am thinking Canon G11 for the best all-around image quality/lower noise.
The Canon S90 would be a very close second.

For big zoom cameras - I would Suggest Canon SX20, Panasonic FZ35 and Sony H50.

They are about equal in picture quality.
As most small digital cameras, they suffer from sensor noise in low light conditions.

Most bad pictures from a big zoom camera are the fault of the person holding the camera.
Anytime you zoom past 6X you have to be very careful to eliminate all camera shake. The further you zoom, the more critical that camera shake becomes.
For best quality, you should be using a tripod any time you zoom past 10X.

You should pick up a big zoom camera and zoom out to the maximum.
While hand holding the camera look through the viewfinder and look at a distant object. You will see the object dancing around like a bug on a hot rock. Take a picture and it will be blurred due to camera shake.

You might want to consider a compact camera with a 10X lens.
Here is a review/comparison of several of that type of camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

Here is the conclusion/recommendation page from that link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/page16.asp

Collapse -
by laxmi_katepalli22 / February 23, 2010 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Best Picture Quality

Hi Team,

Thank you very much for your help.

after reviewing in different ways I am going to buy Canon G11 for best Image quality.

Collapse -
Evolt E620 12MP Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 2nd Battery,
by laxmi_katepalli22 / February 25, 2010 11:04 PM PST

Hi Cnet team,

I got one deal today in Dell website on Olympus Camera, could you please help me whether I can buy this or not.

Evolt E620 12MP Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 2nd Battery, Case, 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED Zuiko Lenses

Collapse -
very different change

That's a DSLR, after you have looked at superzooms. It won't have as much range, but it will have better image quality, if you know how to control it. It will take some time for practice and learning, but it's well worth it. The E620 has received very good reviews and the Zuiko lenses are very good.

Collapse -
Sony A330L with 18-55 and 55-200MM lens
by laxmi_katepalli22 / March 9, 2010 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: very different change

Hi Cnet,

There is an very good offer on Sony A330 alpha camera with 18-55 & 55-200MM lens for 570$CAD, could you please let me know whether this camera is very interms of picture quality and features in Camera compare to this price.

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Regards,
Laxmi

Collapse -
I would never recommend that camera but

That is a tremendous price for that kit. The 55-200mm is over $200 itself, and that kit on Amazon is $750. I would probably be wary of the price if it comes from a non-reputable source, but if it's legit, then it's a great find.

The problem I have with the A330 is not the image quality, it's many other things.

Collapse -
Sony A330L with 18-55 and 55-200MM lens
by laxmi_katepalli22 / March 9, 2010 11:33 PM PST

Hi Cnet,

I am getting this from BestBuy Source, very reputed source. but the only I am looking is, is this good one to buy or not, as I did not have more idea on this as I read reviewes it says it is very goodm but I don't know interms of features and other ways.

Please suggest me.

Collapse -
A Review of the A330
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 9, 2010 11:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Difference between 55-200MM and 75-300MM lens
by laxmi_katepalli22 / March 17, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

Hi Cnet,

I want to know the difference between 55-200MM and 75-300MM lens for Sony A330L, could you please let me know what is the exact reason and the photo quality between these two.

Collapse -
Difference
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 17, 2010 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
CMOS Version
by pheczko / April 24, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: P100 - SX20

How can one determine which version of the CMOS is in the camera? I'd like to purchase the P100, but only if it contains the TX7 version. How can I tell?

Collapse -
CMOS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: CMOS Version

I assume by TX7 you are referring to the Sony TX7 camera.

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_cpp100%2Csony_dsctx5%2Csony_dsctx7&camuser=sony_dsctx5&show=all

Nikon gets their CMOS sensor from Sony.
It can't be exactly like the Sony sensor due to the difference in the sensor mounting for the cameras.

It appears to be the same basic assembly.

To get a definite answer, you need to contact Nikon.
They may (or may not) reveal that information.

Here is a review of the Nikon P100:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-p100/4505-6501_7-33966421.html

Collapse -
CMOS
by pheczko / April 25, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: CMOS

Hi....thank you for all of your information. Yes, I was referingto the TX7 Sony CMOS sensor in the Nikon P100.

I've contacted Nikon and they "do not disclose specific component details of our products". That's why I was hoping you might know the answer.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Canon SX-20 IS successor?
by taz673 / July 22, 2010 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Too Early To Tell

I am researching the Canon SX-20is to take on an international trip later this year. Snapshot2, you had mentioned the next generation may be released in August, have there been any updates on this? It would be great to know if a newer version is expected in the next 2 months as I will hold off on my purchase in hopes for the upgraded CMOS and other features!

Thanks!

Collapse -
SX20 successor
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 22, 2010 7:20 AM PDT

I can find plenty of references to a SX30IS but it is all speculation.

The SX20IS was released on Aug 19, 2009.

So everyone assumes that Aug ,2010 will be the release date for the replacement.

I have been keeping my ear to the ground, but all I have gotten so far is a dirty ear.

Canon is one of the best at keeping a secret.
I doubt that we will learn anything from Canon until they want us to know.
They want to sell out the existing SX20IS stock first.

Collapse -
thanks!
by taz673 / July 22, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: SX20 successor

I was afraid that was the case, mostly wishful thinking on my part! I did notice a lot more promotional price drops recently so hopefully that is a good sign that they are making shelf space. Ideally I hope to make the purchase by early september so I will have time to get used to the camera before the trip in late October!

Thanks for the feedback!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.