Audio & Video Software forum

Compare and Contrast "Formats"

by nweissma / June 16, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

Given several "formats" (for want of a better term) of the same video,are there reasons why one format would be preferred over another for a specified application, or generally? (I realize that this question is worded badly but i don't know the jargon)

for example,

a video that exists as a 733 MB AVI versus the same video that exists as a 1012 MB AVI;

or a video that exists as a .rar in two parts -- cd1 = {.r00-.r44 + .sfv} + cd2 = {.r00-.r44 + .sfv} + MMSWITCH] versus as a single 1015 MB MP4;

or a video that exists as a 719 MB AVI + 719 MB AVI {= 2 x 719 MB AVI's in one folder}] versus as a single 607 MB AVI;

and finally, a video that exists as a 290MB .MP4 versus as a 57MB .FLV

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compare and Contrast "Formats"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compare and Contrast "Formats"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If they all play properly, then no.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 10:11 PM PDT

That's the short answer. I'm not sure I know the longer answer.

But if you have two videos with different file sizes, but otherwise they are exactly the same when played, then you are left with the reason that they were both encoded differently by different people.

Encoded means "CoDecs", or Compression/Decompression, and this is an absolute minefield. There are so many different codecs that compress the original video file into more manageable file sizes, that people choose to compress with whatever they find is best for them. The compression involves compressing video as well as any audio track, and both aspects have different compression ratios that can be selected at the beginning of the compression process.

So, even a file of the same file type, in your examples AVI, you can get many types of compression, requiring many different codecs in order for the media player to play the file correctly.

But this applies to all video file types, not just AVI, so I return to my original answer, if the video plays correctly and to your satisfaction, there are no reasons why one format is better than any other.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Actually there are far too many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2011 2:48 AM PDT

Breaking up the file was needed when folk moved such via NEWS SERVERS.

As to differing encoding, some folk can't play this or that or want it to play on the iPad or such and you may see different resolutions for each encoding.

Here's my suggestion. Use the version that works for you and learn about transcoding with tools like Handbrake.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.