Laptops

General discussion

Compaq V6310US Laptop Won't Boot / Power Cycles Off and On

by orgod / April 26, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

Yesterday my laptop was put into hibernation and later wouldn't awaken. It's set to awaken when the lid is opened, but it did not. I powered it off, then restarted it. This HAS happened before, but in the past the system restarted fine.

Now, after the power is turned on, the lights on the console all come on, the cooling fan starts immediately, the CD/DVD drive spins briefly, the system sits idle for a moment, then it turns the power off, then on again, and goes through the whole cycle again. It will do this perhaps 8-10 times before shutting off completely.

During this whole process, the LCD NEVER TURNS ON. There are no lights or symbols on the screen, there are no audible beeps or other noises.

I cannot access the BIOS or enter Safe Mode. There is NOTHING on the screen. I've reseated the HDD. I've tried restarting the system using each of the two memory sticks alone and in opposing slots and it makes no difference.

Contacted Compaq Help and was told my system warranty ended 5 days ago.

ANY IDEAS? Happy

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq V6310US Laptop Won't Boot / Power Cycles Off and On
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq V6310US Laptop Won't Boot / Power Cycles Off and On
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Has it ever been "in the shop"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 4:32 AM PDT

If so, in most states your warranty is extended by that amount of time and came put you back in the game.

Sadly, the reason for this failure is not in your post. To me it sounds like a power issue but without seeing the laptop to measure some voltages there is nothing more I can offer.
Bob

Collapse -
No, never in the shop
by orgod / April 26, 2008 1:33 PM PDT

I got a call back from Compaq Help today and the guy I spoke with explained that, for the most part I was SOL...

BUT

The warranty for my laptop's Motherboard is 2 years, not 1 year, and because their TS tree suggests that ONE possible issue could be the MB, they would replace it for me. I have high hopes this will resolve the problem, because I also (as a secondary measure) removed the HDD, put it into an enclosure and connected it to another system, which read it's data with no issues. I think the HDD is good.

I'll keep this thread updated as more info comes available.

Collapse -
Did you get the problem fixed?
by versetyle / August 7, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

I have the exact same problem on my HP dv6110us running Vista 32 Home Premium. I closed the lid, (it's supposed to hibernate), and now all it does is power cycle with no LCD screen or beeps. the power button and everything else lights up normally (except when it turns off as it power cycles..)

I don't know what else to try; I've unplugged the power cable and battery. I've held down the power button w/out the battery and power cable plugged in (this is supposed to purge any charge), reseated memory, and tried different batteries. On desktops, reconnecting the motherboard/internal battery would clear bios memory, would this work?...Is there any easy fix? or is this primarily a motherboard issue?

My extended warranty is through Fry's and the last time they serviced my laptop (different problem about 2 months ago), they ended up replacing my motherboard, speakers, HDD, and the power button. The all-around experience was bloodcurdling and I would like to avoid going through that crap again. For all I know they used refurb parts and is whats leading to the prob I have now...

Collapse -
i have same problem
by Ahud7 / August 14, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

i got the same problem i have a dv6000 notebook hewlet packered mine went jsut after my warrenty was up 3 days i called tech supprt and they told me that it was a bios problem and i'm getting mine fixed for free he said taht it is the mother board and pretty much the whoel inerds are fried somewhat litterally and that at leat for hp it was covered because it wasnt my fault it was a faulty product so i'd suggest calling back and asking about this problem

hope i helped Happy
ahud

Collapse -
hp v6310us
by shonnchango / January 8, 2009 8:40 AM PST

Just so you know hp claims the problem is the motherboard bios. The problem is bios related but it has to do with your second memory module . if you remove it and run laptop on only 1 memory stick the problem will totaly go away.BUT you will never ever have the same performance from the laptop.I think the isue is the CPU, how can a computer work fine for ever with 2 memory cards instaled then one day when laptop is at idol and i open it nothing ever works again?i think the problem is the CPU or the new motherboard they instaled in laptop still wasnt good. Also i purchased new memory and instaled bothj of them comp cycles on and off over and over with 2 instaled second i remove one it starts fine. I hope this helps a little.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.