Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Compaq Presario SR2170nx Motherboard Lost 1 Ram Bank

by MarvinSwordenski / February 16, 2013 10:48 PM PST

As all good things must end, my desktop lost the function of one of the RAM banks (port-stick-card-slot, etc). This system uses 2mb Ram divided between 2 slots of 1mb each. The motherboard has failed on one slot and now is trying to operate on half the RAM needed and is SLOW! I know this by the reports ran stating about 1mb now and the obvious slowdown. I replaced ram cards with new 1mb each and no help which led me to believe it was the board, not the ram. My first common sense fix was to add a 2mb stick in one slot bringing the working conditions back up to speed. I would think that to be too easy and would probably find that it won't work, maybe like the board works between the two slots and simply placing a 2mb in one slot wouldn't fix.

I'm also thinking to pull my hard drives out and install them into another bare bones machine. I've read this will have problems of driver rejects if it even boots on the Vista os running now.

Any suggestions without a disk wipe would be helpful. I have years of my home recording studio files on the system running at 32 bit and can't loose it. (never recapture the moments)

MarvinSwordenski has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Presario SR2170nx Motherboard Lost 1 Ram Bank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Presario SR2170nx Motherboard Lost 1 Ram Bank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MarvinSwordenski

Collapse -
If it runs, why is there a problem of loss?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 11:25 PM PST

As it's running now, why can't you backup now?

Collapse -
Thanks for your interest...
by MarvinSwordenski / February 17, 2013 12:43 AM PST

I want the end result to have the exact running system I have now (working of course). Backing up will only take the files and not the existing software, programs I use for recording. Right?
I have so many programs I use and not all the install disks.

Collapse -
Then you want
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 6:33 AM PST

The same make/model machine to put the drive into. Since we can clone the drive as well as save an image of the drive, there should be no issue or worry about loss.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply...
by MarvinSwordenski / February 17, 2013 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Then you want

So, I buy the same machine as I have, maybe a bare bones, and install my hard drive. Starting the new machine and booting up and the OS on my current hard drive will see no difference removing the issue of drivers not recognizing the hardware?
I think there's a Microsoft Vista OS install license that will come into play.
Clone or save a drive image sounds like I have to copy the entire drive over to a new drive?
I hate to sound like I don't know anything about computers being I have built a couple from scratch but the retention of the programs I'm using is top priority.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Collapse -
A bare bones is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Usually parts other than a Compaq Presario SR2170nx. You've told your story well and the only thing that will cure this is another Compaq Presario SR2170nx.

Said Compaq Presario SR2170nx might be missing some keyboard, drives, display but it's the only thing that can avoid loss, as in having to start over.

It's that simple.
Bob

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by MarvinSwordenski / February 18, 2013 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: A bare bones is

I guess I'm in the market for another SR2170nx. Obviously I have the other hardware in place now.
I'll get a replacement box and install my drive, boot and move on.

Thank you everyone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.