Laptops

General discussion

Compaq Presario F700 Laptop - DVD R/W drive disappeared...

by luvs2dance45 / February 7, 2010 7:06 AM PST

I have a DVD R/W in my laptop and it has been working fine. The other day I tried to use it and nothing happened. I clicked on Computer and only my C: and D: drives are listed, not the DVD drive. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium edition. How do I get use of my DVD drive again? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq Presario F700 Laptop - DVD R/W drive disappeared...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq Presario F700 Laptop - DVD R/W drive disappeared...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 8:30 AM PST
Collapse -
This fix did NOT work for me.
by luvs2dance45 / February 7, 2010 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Try the usual.

Those keys were not listed in the regedit. I did a recovery on the program that runs the DVD drive and that did not work either. Does this mean my DVD drive is bad and needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Collapse -
It can mean something worse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 11:24 PM PST

The drive could be good and the motherboard bad.

Try this:

1. Is the BIOS showing the drive?
2. Is the BIOS set to its defaults?
Why I asked was one owner was trying to make the machine run faster and had disabled the controller for the drive in the BIOS. They had lost months trying to install drivers. I set the BIOS back to defaults and it worked.
Bob

Collapse -
My BIOS were ok...but
by luvs2dance45 / February 8, 2010 12:44 AM PST

DVD is still not showing up. gggrrrr I may just have to take my laptop to the local repair place and see what they can find. Thanks.

Collapse -
Keep in mind that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: My BIOS were ok...but

The drive is about 50 bucks. Any shop counter can run double that without curing it. This is why I always swap it myself.

Besides many shops just wipe the drive in hopes of a cure. The fact the BIOS does not list the drive is a sign they should not wipe the drive.

Hope you have copies of files you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you, Bob...
by luvs2dance45 / February 8, 2010 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Keep in mind that

for your help with this issue. Yes, I backed up all my files onto a thumb drive last night before I started all this tinkering. I will be sure to tell the repair shop NOT to wipe my drive until they convince me that it is required. Thanks again and take care. Terri

Collapse -
DVD RW DRIVE DISAPPEAR
by R N MISHRA / June 21, 2010 4:33 PM PDT

My compaq presario F 700 laptop DVD RW drive disappear all a sudden if i load the software from the net then appears this drive is inyour
c drive. please help me i am using Window 7 in my laptop.
R N MISHRA

Collapse -
Better start a new post ...
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD RW DRIVE DISAPPEAR

in stead of hijacking one 4 months old.

And be sure to make your problem more clear in that new post than you do now. It's totally ununderstandable now.

Your DVD disappears [from what?] if you load [what do you mean with that?] the [what?] software from the net [do you have a link] and then reappears [problem solved, I'd say]. And this drive is MY [yours?] c-drive .

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.