Computer Help forum

General discussion

Compaq laptop won't boot up, just keeps restarting

by stevecreek / August 30, 2009 10:12 AM PDT

I turned on my laptop as usual today but it will not boot. I get to the Windows XP screen but instead of loading the desktop (or the screen where you choose the user) it just restarts.

Compaq Presario V2000
running Windows XP Home Edition
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 1800mHz
System Memory 2048 MB
I run McAfee Internet Security
I connect wirelessly to the internet.

I've pressed F10 and been into the BIOS setup and looked for settings I could change (Boot Order, etc) but nothing seemed to make any difference. I can tell it to launch in Safe Mode but the same thing happens: get to the XP screen, it processes for a few seconds, then restarts.

I've also taken out the RAM and put it back in and this has made no difference.

What should I try next?

The first time the problem started I turned on my laptop and there was a pale blue screen that seemed to list a bunch of files that were being updated/altered/possibly removed. I didn't make a note of exactly what it said because I thought it was a normal Windows update (even though I'd never seen this specific type of message before).

The laptop is 3 years old. I use it everyday. Immediately before this problem started I do not recall downloading anything new or altering any settings. I have files on the laptop I really don't want to lose so would love to find a solution that doesn't involve reinstalling windows. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq laptop won't boot up, just keeps restarting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq laptop won't boot up, just keeps restarting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the solution to power on and off
by iibloodii / December 9, 2010 10:09 AM PST

What i did to fix mine temperally is turn it on and wait for the power light to come on and then hit ESC and this will make it stay on. Then wait about 15 to 20 min then press and hold power till it turns off then turn on it might work....What it is, is the GPU getting hot and desodering itself from the board.If this dont work try steps again except when you turn it off ,apply a little pressure on the back and keyboard at the same time where you feel the heat at, then turn on. that's all i got to suggest it worked for me..Pllease post back if works!

Collapse -
ADVANCED USER ONLY IDEA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2010 10:14 AM PST

My neighbor has that model (one is centrino, the other is AMD) and giving him fits. I played with it awhile and found that if the wifi was off it would work. In the end we had to remove the wifi card and use a PC-Card to supply wifi.

Again, I must decline another discussion about why I don't replace the wifi card internally.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.