Phones forum

General discussion

Compaq iPaq 3650

by WildClay / May 24, 2010 2:08 AM PDT

I have two Compaq iPaq 3650 PDA's, one I recently got intended to be the replacement for the existing 3650 (I know it is 8 years old, but it works for me...)

What I am trying to find out is if there is a way to transfer everything, including the programs I have installed over the years from from IPAQ to the other.

I tried a backup/restore by the "new" 3650 is one firmware rev level higher (one I can't upgrade the other one too) and so restore will not restore to it.

I am using ActiveSync 3.7.1 and I can't upgrade it since neither version works past 3.8 on these and there is even some question about 3.8 so I did not want to risk it, beside the release notes do not say it addresses my problem.

In a nutshell, without reinstalling everything (of which I would be lucky to find 1/2 of anyway) does anyone know of a tool or way to move my installed apps without having to reinstall. (Copy is pointless since the reg would be missing everything.)

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq iPaq 3650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq iPaq 3650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / May 24, 2010 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Compaq iPaq 3650

You can use the free trial of SPB Backup to clone your old PDA, in part or in whole, and then install that cloned image to your new PDA. The free trial, last I checked, offered 5 full backups, with no other limitations, so it should be sufficient for your purposes.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Fingers Crossed -- Win CE 3.0
by WildClay / May 24, 2010 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Certainly...

Thanks for that, now I just hope it will work, I left their support asking if it will work on my model, they don't list anything under 5.0, but I asked anyway, will let you know what they say. It looked like exactly what I needed.

If they say my model is too old, do you have any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Should have mentioned...
by John.Wilkinson / May 24, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

I should have mentioned that you'll need to download an older version, rather than the current 2.1 that is marketed for newer Windows Mobile devices. CNET still offers SPB Backup 1.6.1, which supports Pocket PC 2000/2002 and Windows Mobile 2003, so you should have success if you download it here.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks -- Will Try it this weekend
by WildClay / May 25, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

Thanks, it still does not mention CE 3.0 so I am not sure if it will work or not but I will give it a try, I'll do a full back-up of my IPAC first just in case.

Again, thanks for the tips!

Collapse -
by WildClay / June 6, 2010 4:21 AM PDT

I ended up the latest SPB back-up as it turned out there was no way to port the way I wanted to on to the new one, so I got it for the new one and hand ported what I could off of the old one.

As soon as I put SPB 2.1 on I tested it out before messing with new one too much, enough so I would know the restore had worked. It worked perfectly, I really hammered it, intentionally, did a hard reset, and restore and it back to perfect.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.