Computer Help

General discussion

Compaq f700 Won't Turn On

by sondrahayes / March 20, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

I have a Compaq f700 Laptop; it's a little over a year old (which means my warranty is up and I have to pay for tech support) so I was referred here by my co-worker to ask the question that follows:

Like I said it's about a year and a few months old and I have run into the problem that when I go to turn it on-the light will flash as if it will boot up but it shuts right off. This happens whether it is plugged in or not. What do you think the problem may be? Thank you for all of your help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Compaq f700 Won't Turn On
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Compaq f700 Won't Turn On
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 5:45 AM PDT

I wonder if the laptop power jack has failed. Its a failure I see far too often. Owners always tell me they were careful or it can't be that but your symptom as described would have me checking that.

Google LAPTOP JACK to discover an army of companies to work this.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by sondrahayes / March 20, 2009 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess.

Thanks! I will go ahead and look into that. Hopefully that is all it is. My one HUGE worry is losing all my important photos/videos from the hard drive.

Collapse -
And we can handle that for say under 20 bucks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

You can find drive cases and adapters to add the old laptop drive to the next machine at newegg.com and geeks.com for under 20 bucks. Usually that's all it takes.
Bob

Collapse -
She seemed to have fixed, permanently, her problem.
by LucJPatenaude / August 2, 2010 2:36 PM PDT

For all other posters: Get rid of that problematic mainboard and get yourself another one that can have its Bios flashed without any problems what-so-ever, OK?

In other words, one that can be fully supported via their support page of their official HP web-site. Not older than 4 years old, please.

Collapse -
Got Mine back up
by Loriv1967 / March 15, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

I am sure the real root of the problem is still there, however I was able to get mine back. Here are the details:
First--My computer had frozen and there were twisted lines across the screen. The only thing I could do was to HARD boot it off. But when I attempted to start it back up, it would come on - go off - over and over again all by itself, unless I pushed in the power button and held it, or if I unplugged it and removed the battery. I was able to get it to stop recycling by immediately pressing the esc key at start up. However, nothing appeared on the display. It was completely black and other than hearing the fan, nothing else seemed to be happening. I could not get an external display to work either. I had tried all the tips about taking out the battery and unplugging it and holding down the power button for 20 seconds and plugging it back in-- none of this helped. I had read that it may have something to do with over heating etc. I agree that mine was running very hot the day it froze. At first I let it continue to loop over and over thinking it would or could eventually catch and come back--after an hour, I gave up as it seemed it was getting hot again and possibly harming my data. (If there was any left!) So I let it sit an hour and thought MAYBE I could hit that esc key and let it sit at that spot a while. But again, an hour later and nothing--plus it was heating up slightly. Finally--I decided to see why it was heating up. I went to the garage and turned on my air compressor and blew it into all the air vents etc. I never opened up the case, because I don't know anything about the insides of a laptop and would surely destroy it! I blew it over the keys too on the keyboard. Then I let it sit about 3 hours. It was completely cool. I plugged it in and attempted to start it and NOTHING--it was right back to what it was doing before. Finally--I decided to LET it get hot again--so I turned it on and pressed the esc key--I let it sit about 45 minutes--the fan was running and although not super hot, it was heated up a bit. I turned it off and flipped it upside down. I then tapped lightly all around the bottom surface of the case. I used a heavy flat book. I DID not BANG it or WACK it, just light taps and such. I did this for about a minute. I then turned it over very gently--and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I came back knowing nothing had changed, but tried one last time--and it came back! It logged right into Windows as if nothing had ever happened. Everything was there and it has been running smoothly for over a week. I notices the fan does not come on or run as fast as it had been. I wondered if I had blew out dust and possibly dislodged something that had been blocking air etc. I also thought maybe when I let it heat up and flipped it over and tapped it, maybe it allowed something to fall back into place. Then when I let it cool, it may have logged itself correctly. For whatever reason it came back--and I have made a BACKUP of all my files JUST in case this is a dream! I just felt the need to come and let others know that this may help you with yours too. Please note that I know very little about the hardware in a laptop and do not attempt what I did unless you are willing to accept any further damage. I am sure the real techies here will tell you I shouldn't have done this, but I had given up hope and had nothing to lose as I had no money to try to repair it. Good Luck! Lori

Collapse -
Compaq Presario CQ62 FIXED!
by mhaderle / May 5, 2012 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Got Mine back up

No f...ing way! I just tried your above-mentioned technique and holy shitfire it worked. Thanks! I was fearing the worst: Having to pay a computer guy $75 to do this easy fix.

Collapse -
Compaq F700 wont start up anymore
by silentpanther69 / January 22, 2011 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: Just a guess.

i am have the same problem as sondrahayes. Blue lights start up but shut rite off. We was also told it was the power supply so i go buy the most expensive power supply i could and it did'nt help. Now my laptop doesnt do anything,,,,
Some one PLS help

Collapse -
If you follow this discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2011 2:03 PM PST

You know not to avoid the maker's supply and that after that you try the generic reset and hope. There are only a few parts at play here so cut your losses fast.

All the great ideas are in this discussion so I can't add more.
Bob

Collapse -
Compaq F700 wont start up anymore
by real100101 / February 22, 2011 5:29 AM PST

I found the answer on another tech board and I was one click from buying another laptop. Here's what you do: Do a "hard reset" (turn power off, take out battery, take AC plug out of laptop,hold power button for 30 seconds), then replace battery, and AC cord and then press "power button" on. The unit should then power-up as normal. Hope it helps you as it did me!

Collapse -
Incorrect information supplied
by GigabitG / January 17, 2012 3:20 AM PST

The information here is incorrect, it is not a hard reset at all. This method only works desktops, as it's called an ATX reset. All this method does, is discharges power from ATX mother boards.

Collapse -
Good advice
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 3:36 AM PST

This is a generic reset that has helped many (laptops too.)
Bob

Collapse -
Compaq wont start
by Ibuyvws / February 28, 2012 4:17 AM PST

I just did this on my wifes laptop and it worked great. Hers did nothing when you tried to turn it on. Thank you!

Collapse -
Awesome.
by ThriftStoreProphet / July 7, 2012 2:02 AM PDT

This worked great for me! Thanks for the awesome advice!

Collapse -
funny old world
by goodtime212 / May 30, 2013 3:10 PM PDT

This works on Apple Macs but definitely not on the F700. I have the same problem and I think it is the bios chip. This is a job for someone. I turned it on but checked the bios straight away. Habit I have. There was only 1 page there and no options to go anywhere else. Corrupt.
I let it boot and it booted into windows vista. I ran Win7 on it and restarted fine. Went to shut it down and 'updates were installing' ..... 'please don't turn off your computer. !'
Waited patiently for 30mins and went to bed.
Got up, had breakfast and went to have a look. Still running 8hrs later but black screen. Did 6second turn off and tried to restart it and got the flashes the same as everybody else.
Get the bios fixed up if it ain't too dear or sell it for bits on Ebay. You probably make enuff for another and better laptop.

Collapse -
Another Dead Compaq Presario F700 / HP G6000
by possumator / April 6, 2009 12:02 PM PDT

I flashed my bios today which killed mine. If the bios chip is socketed (which I don't know if it is or not), it may be possible to physically replace the bios chip with another. There are companies who flash new chips (badflash is one example).

Otherwise it's nearly $400US for a new motherboard from HP (includes free shipping back and forth). I bought mine refurbished for $450 and it ran for a year before I killed it, so I would probably just buy another laptop (with a bigger drive and faster CPU).

Collapse -
Did something happen during the FLASH causing it to fail
by VAPCMD / May 21, 2009 2:15 AM PDT

What problem was the BIOS FLASH going to fix ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Related topic
by Screwge1976 / May 21, 2009 1:08 AM PDT

I am having a similar problem with mine though....It was working fine and then suddenly the ac adapter box went cool..so I assumed that the power cord had gone out and replaced it. Once I did that the computer would only stay on for short stints...when it was on though the light on the power button would not light up....if the light came on then the computer does not boot up...Now it is to a point where it tries to boot up for 2 secs and then shuts down...Can anyone tell me what may be the problem...I thought maybe the jack like suggested...but as long as it was plugged in, it was charging the battery and running off the power cord. Also, the light, where you plug it into, would be on...confused please help!

Collapse -
This is now becoming an endemic problem
by mijcar / November 27, 2009 9:47 AM PST

I have just got a Presario f700 with the same problem. I've done some googling and found out that the problem is widespread.

First the symptoms:
power on
get the right sounds
nothing happens on screen
power turns off then on again
same thing over and over again

Things that don't work and have nothing to do with the problem:
1. boot order does not change the problem even when you have a bootable CD in the computer and you have chosen boot with CD first.
2. updates are irrelevant; this happens with both a grossly under-updated machine and a fully updated machine.
3. BIOS are irrelevant
4. Power cord and power source are irrelevant. Happens when plugged in and happens when using a fully charged battery.
5. According to other testers, RAM is irrelevant. They have tried replacing all RAM and it makes no difference.
6. Operating System is irrelevant. This is pre-boot state and Windows is invoked yet. Suggestions to boot into most recent workable configuration are a useless waster of time (because, see my workaround).
7. Fan and heat are irrelevant. Fan works and this happens with both hot and cold computer (also see my workaround below)

Workaround: For my client's computer this proved a barely-tolerable-but-reliable workaround:

The moment you power-up, start tapping the ESC key. This forces the system to mount.

By the way, you cannot make this work during a reboot. You must physically power-off the computer (and I suggest wait 3 or 4 seconds) before you power it back on and start pressing the escape key.

What do I think is happening? I think there is some sort of check going on in the background and there is the equivalent of a time-out happening too fast. The ESC key seems to force the computer to engage and delay long enough for whatever info needs to be collected.

Or it's something else not even related. Happy

If you've tried this and it works or doesn't work for you, please let us know.

Collapse -
Count me in on this problem
by mclark2112 / December 1, 2009 10:06 PM PST

I am working on a friend's F700, same exact problem as mentioned above.

I am trying the escape key trick, and the only thing that happens is the lights stay on. No screen activity, no HD activity that I can hear.

I am afraid to buy a new motherboard now, as this seems to be an ongoing issue with tis model, and will only rear its head sometime in the future.

Has anyone had any success with HP taking the blame for this?

Collapse -
Same problem here...
by tommyfour / December 4, 2009 4:12 AM PST

My buddy brought me his F700 with the same issues,
..The battery will not charge..
however the battery and the charger both work just fine with my other HP laptop.

..The computer will not turn on with a fully charged battery, or absent a battery and just plugged in..

The power jack light turns on, and the front power light turns on, but the thing will not boot up! I can't hear the HDD running, but the fan turns on and off.

Is this a problem with a specific component that I can replace? Or does this thing need a whole new MB?

Collapse -
Try cheap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2009 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem here...

The CMOS BATTERY and find the power on switch to test with an OHM METER.

If you don't use an OHM METER then change the motherboard.
BOb

Collapse -
never thought of that!
by tommyfour / December 4, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Try cheap.

So, you're thinking the power switch itself may be bad? I guess it would make sense... How about the power jack, I heard those go bad frequently.
And yeah, a fresh CMOS battery would never hurt, but would that cause any issues like this?

Collapse -
Each item you listed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2009 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: never thought of that!

Could be tested with a common DVM.

Collapse -
Don't think it's the CMOS Battery
by mijcar / December 4, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: never thought of that!

The problem occurs whether there is a battery in and the AC off or the battery removed and the AD on. I'm not talking about the CMOS battery, but the power battery.

I think the following are all possibilities:
1. That the physical design of the system does not provide quite enough power. So that if any item (most like the fan) needs extra juice to start moving, then another item, like the harddrive does not get enough juice to start spinning and communicate with the system. I'm don't really know the engineering and physics aspect of it, but I do know it takes more energy to get something moving than to keep it moving. And I do know from both careful listening and from checking the lights that the harddrive is not engaged.
2. So, if it's the power supply being too light, then possibility the harddrive has deteriorated over time sufficiently that it can't spin enough to be recognized.
3. It could be that the energy is wasted on checking the CD drive or linking up the modem.
4. Or it could be some total combination of these possibilities.

Collapse -
Problem continues
by tommyfour / December 6, 2009 10:35 AM PST

After taking the whole damn laptop apart looking for loose connections (maybe it got dropped) I found nothing visibly wrong and put it all back together. NOW when I try to power it up, nothing happens at all... no lights flash and the fan doesn't rev. The only "life" this computer has is the small power light on the front and the ring of light around the AC jack. I am at a loss here. If it needs a new MB, I'm scrapping the thing! Please someone tell me what to do next...

Collapse -
The problem is with the Nvidia chipset
by joecontreras / January 8, 2010 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Problem continues

The issue is with the Nvidia chipset overheating causing the solder to loosen. The chipset then raises a little off the board. There is a fix for this and I have done it on about 20 (HP and Compaq)laptops over the last few months. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are completely comfortable with taking the laptop apart to get the motherboard out to apply the fix. I am not sure of the rules of the forums here but I can tell you how to fix it if you are interested. There are also tutorials and Youtube videos on how to fix this.

Collapse -
A link to either of the fixes would be helpful
by mijcar / January 8, 2010 3:36 AM PST

I'm not sure of the site rules either. But if the fix is already out there and you could post a link to either or both of them, that would be useful.

Thanks

Collapse -
Youtube fix
by joecontreras / January 8, 2010 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Not for the timid.

Thanks for posting the search link above. The fix is really simple if you are familiar with taking apart and putting back together a laptop. I think most walk-throughs call for a heat lamp but I always use a heat gun on low and keep it back away from the board to not burn anything or overheat anything and be careful no to apply to much pressure after heating up before it cools down. Here is the Youtube video and works for all laptops with this Nvidia chipset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI

Collapse -
F700
by goodtime212 / June 15, 2013 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Youtube fix

This can be a very temporary fix but this is done usually on the graphics chip. A better fis is 'Reballing' which is removing the graphics chip completely; clean thoroughly both the chip and the board and then using a jig and a Reballing machine you completely resolder the chip in place. The only difference is that a better quality solder is used to achieve this. The chipset is a different chip. This problem usually happens when the machine has been running and will not shut down correctly. I believe the problem is the bios chip. The answer is to replace it.
I had installed win7 on an F700. I shut it down and got the'windows is installing updates. Do not switch off your computer'. The following day I had to hold down the on/off button for quite a long time to turn off. Now it just flashes momentarily as it does with everybody else. I have a feeling that a corrupt bios put the computer to sleep whhile installing updates and that is when it reared it's ugly head.
I've written to HP/Compaq about this but got no reply. Perhaps if everybody bugs them constantly they'll get sick and give us the solution

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.