Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

Comp keeps shutting down after blue screen (pic)

by MrHeavySilence / August 17, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comp keeps shutting down after blue screen (pic)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comp keeps shutting down after blue screen (pic)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now tell us what happens ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 17, 2008 11:34 AM PDT

after you disable caching or shadowing in the BIOS and what happens when you boot to Safe Mode.

It also helps if you pay attention to the NOTE in red text immediately above where you entered your subject title when you posted your message.

in the event that you are the one person in the world that does not show up for it says:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

I have never seen such a blue screen message for Windows 1 through 3X but I have seen similar for other versions of Windows and such are dependant on version.

Collapse -
Comp Specs
by MrHeavySilence / August 17, 2008 4:19 PM PDT

Ah okay. uhm..

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
System Model: VGN-FZ220E
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, t5250 @ 1.50 ghz
Memory: 2038 MB Ram

Is this good?

By the way I don't understand the BIOs technobabble or what BIOs even stands for, so I haven't "disabled shadowing or cacheing in BIOs," although you make it sound like I should get cracking on that.

And my computer works fine in safe mode.

Thanks for any help I can get Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the specs ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 18, 2008 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Comp Specs

now we can get somewhere.

First, your computer manual should tell you how to access the CMOS settings when you boot the computer. Once there you look for any memory caching or shadowing and disable it - your computer manual should normally show those settings too.

The initial error in your first screenshot has NOTHING to do with a "virus", it simply points to a problem with a registry entry or so for some Adobe product you have. You fix that by re-installing the application to correct the registry. (hopefully you haven't been running "registry cleaners" as they can cause far more problems than they can generally fix unless you actually know a bit about the registry)

The bluescreen stop error - 0x0000007e generally indicates a problem with a driver and here that is hinted at because you can get into Safe Mode. In Vista it can also happen if you have enabled BitLocker Drive Encryption. Just in case you have here is the Knowledge Base article covering that:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930979

The stop error can also be generated simply by installing some apps (Alcohol 120% is one such) and can sometimes be bypassed by booting to the "Last known good configuration" which is a boot option in the same menu you got into Safe Mode through.

Have you recently tried updating any drivers (such as video or sound)? If so, while in safe mode go back to the older version.

You might also consider making use of the system restore feature to restore to a date before the problems began.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Collapse -
Did you install "MrHeavySilence" on your PC
by Dango517 / August 17, 2008 4:35 PM PDT

or is this something that just popped up one day? If you did take it out and re-install it. This looks very odd. I think you have a virus or some very malicious software on your PC. Possible a denial of service virus. If you can log on in safe mode then run your Anti-virus and malware scans. If this doesn't work try a restore point after saving your data.

I'll track this one.

Collapse -
Virus?
by MrHeavySilence / August 18, 2008 4:36 AM PDT

I logged into safe mode and used the following programs: NOD 32 Antivirus, Spyware Terminator, Norton 360, some of which actually eliminated a couple trojans but the problem (of the comp going to blue screen and shutting down) still exists.

Should I be using some different programs? Or maybe I shouldn't have so many antivirus programs 'cause I hear they conflict each other.

Also, I'm not sure if I have any software that can do the "restore point" thing? But I did back up all my data on an external Hard Drive.

Thanks for any help Happy

Collapse -
Not good
by Dango517 / August 18, 2008 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus?

I think you need to move this thread to the 'Spyware, Viruses ans Security" Forum. but before you do. What exactly does it say on the Blue screen. No typos please.

BTW, check to see if you have your security programs configured to run in real time, as you use the PC so to speak, instead of manual scanning. It's far better to block these malicious programs from getting in, in the first place then try and remove them afterward.

Collapse -
I see now,
by Dango517 / August 18, 2008 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Not good

you are ..... "MyHeavySilence".

Reload all your Adobe software, Flash Player, shock wave, etc.. Are you running other Adobe programs, maybe Photoshop? Reload these programs as well.

Collapse -
Why would that "look odd"?
by Edward ODaniel / August 18, 2008 1:02 PM PDT

as per the screenshot "MrHeavySilence" is a username on the computer and if you check he is using the same username here in the forums.

Why worry him when an 0x0000007e stop error is almost always a result of a driver problem?

Collapse -
Did you see post 8?
by Dango517 / August 18, 2008 3:52 PM PDT

How could you miss it? Maybe, the same way I missed that "MyHeavySilent" was the user name.

A Blue Screen can be many things. We need particulars not guesses.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.