Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Common code words and phrases

by tedln / December 18, 2008 8:33 AM PST

If you have read this forum much in the past week, you probably know that a common code phrase I hate is "it's company policy". To me, that phrase means the concept of right or wrong is irrelevent. We will do as we please and you can do nothing about it.

Another I detest is "transparancy". When a politician says in a public forum "this bill has transparancy built into it", that usually means "we have closed the blinds, locked the door, turned off the lights, and posted a guard to prevent the public from finding out what we are doing".

A few years ago, I heard a politician use the word "gravitas" in a televised conversation. My reaction was "huh". Within a week every politician appearing on every program seemed to include "gravitas" in the conversation irregardless of the subject. It seemed as if all of them had attended a word of the week meeting and agreed that "gravitas" was a good word to confuse the public.

Recently a sportscaster on a nationally televised football game used the phrase "in space" to decribe how a player had performed a certain skill. Within a week every move, made by every player, on every team,
was performed "in space" as related by every sportscaster. I still haven't figured that phrase out. I think most sportscasters simply realize they don't have the reporting skills of a Grantland Rice, but possibly feel they can fool most of the fans.

Those are a few of my favorites. I was simply wondering if other people have favorite code words or phrases they detest.

Ted

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Common code words and phrases
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Common code words and phrases
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't get too irked but
by Steven Haninger / December 18, 2008 8:51 AM PST

do get tired of such as

"Think outside of the box"
"Grow the economy" (or the company)
"....go from there."
any line that contains the word "hubris"
bad singing of the National Anthem (them warbling voices that can't hold a note)

Other than that, life is quite good. Happy

Collapse -
Life is always good
by tedln / December 18, 2008 8:57 AM PST

but I like to keep it interesting. Happy

Ted

Collapse -
My favorite is
by Diana Forum moderator / December 18, 2008 9:12 AM PST

"I didn't do anything illegal." That means it was wrong but there was no law against it yet.

Diana

Collapse -
Yes,
by tedln / December 18, 2008 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: My favorite is

That is used a lot. If you visited a few prisons, that would be the most commonly used phrase.

Collapse -
Same issue, 25 years ago. "You never did anything to inform
by Ziks511 / December 18, 2008 3:51 PM PST

the affected households by actually doing something, like telling somebody!Did you."

Well no but it was on display at your local planning office for the last 7 months."

"And how many people go down to the planning office of an evening just to make sure nobody is trying to knock their houses down."

"Well, you finally found it!"

"It was Downstairs?"

"WEll, that's the display department"

"There were no lights"

""Well perhaps the light had gone"

So had the stairs"

"Well you found the display didn't you?"

'Yes, once I'd got a torch and a ladder I found them in the bottom drawer in a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door "Beware of the Leopard". Ever though of going into advertising"

From H^2G^2 or for the uninitiated The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy which is well known to contain the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. It involved 6 perfect, never to be equalled hours on BBC2 and may still be available on CD if you're very lucky.

(I suggest amazon.co.uk)

PS. It's 54

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) huh?
by tedln / December 18, 2008 10:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Since you are new here,
by critic411 / December 18, 2008 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: huh?

You'll learn !!!!!!

Collapse -
I thought it was The Hitchhikers Guide To The Universe.
by tedln / December 19, 2008 12:20 AM PST
Happy

Ted
Collapse -
a couple that come to mind
by jonah jones / December 18, 2008 6:48 PM PST

"you were never there for me/i'll always be there for you"

people who make the "...." commas with their fingers when talking

people who can't say anything without inserting 'well.like.you know' every 5 seconds

Collapse -
I'm sorry Jonah but
by tedln / December 18, 2008 10:59 PM PST

"you know" is part of the American lexicon. It means lets take a short pause while I think of a proper word or comment.

Collapse -
I got a new one from the evening news.
by tedln / December 19, 2008 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: I'm sorry Jonah but

"After seeing this story, there are more questions than answers"

THEN WHY SHOW IT BEFORE THEY HAVE THE ANSWERS!

Collapse -
(NT) To get people to think.
by JP Bill / December 19, 2008 1:02 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.