Networking & Wireless forum

Comcast wireless very slow (wired fast)

by rlaraway1 / March 5, 2013 10:50 AM PST

I have the comcast performance internet and have noticed extremely slow wireless speeds (even when I am right next to the router). These slow speeds seem to often be during peak times (5pm-9pm). I live in a high rise apartment so I am wondering if there is some sort of congestion when everyone is on it at the same time. What's odd is that when wired, I still have good speeds. Here are my specs:

Wired speed: 25mbps
Wireless download: 1mbps
Wireless upload: 4mbps
Windows wireless connectivity : 144mpbs with excellent signal
Router: Linksys E3200 Dual-Band N
Modem: D-Link DCM202 (docsis 2.0)

I am wondering if maybe I should update my modem to the recommended DOCSIS 3.0 but I am not sure if that would help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast wireless very slow (wired fast)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast wireless very slow (wired fast)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Cable connections are shared w/neighbors
by wpgwpg / March 5, 2013 10:59 AM PST

Since cable connections are shared with your neighbors, and as you say you live in a high rise, you're in all likelyhood running into cable congestion. You could try setting your router to another channel or plugging your computer into a wired connections, although it's likely just cable congestion.

Collapse -
Since wired is fast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 11:06 AM PST

It's likely many are using WiFi at the same time and there are few open channels. I doubt a cable modem can fix a WiFi issue like this.

Try another channel or that other 5GHz band your router has.

Collapse -
by rlaraway1 / March 5, 2013 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Since wired is fast.

Changing the channel worked great! I was also wondering very little people are using the 5GHZ band. My router is a simultaneous dual band. Is there anyway to select one band or the other to see which is faster/less congested?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Because it's the new thing. Most gear out there is on the 2.4GHz WiFi band as well as reduced range in the 5GHz band leads me to write these are the most likely reasons.

My newer router automatically seeks out a less congested channel but as folk get home, you may have to reboot the router if you are using the automatic method/setting.

I use a small Android app to scan the area. Almost Star Trek like? It's this app.

Glad it helped,

Collapse -
Wireless Internet forum: Comcast wireless very slow (wired f
by anupchaurasia / January 5, 2014 3:04 PM PST

I did all But Same Issue. Wired one has 50 mbps (BLAST) and Wireless giving .81 download speed..Any suggestions ?

Collapse -
Given the slim details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2014 4:47 PM PST

I'd talk to the wireless router's maker.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.