Computer Help forum

General discussion

Comcast e-mail flood

by pdxjazz / January 30, 2009 12:28 AM PST

I replaced my old computer system with Comcast service and new wireless laptops. I run Windows Vista, and Windows Mail for all my e-mails. Last night I logged on to the internet and checked my mail. I received over 3,500 emails in my inbox. These were e-mails I had already received since starting service with Comcast, and had been deleted. It's as though Comcast had kept all these e-mails and somehow dumped all of them back to me all at once. While they were coming in to my inbox, I hit the send/receive button and they were actually being downloaded, not just the names appearing in the inbox. Any thoughts as to what happened, and is it normal for an ISP company to save client e-mails?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast e-mail flood
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast e-mail flood
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or the email software you had this setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Comcast e-mail flood
Collapse -
Thank you!
by pdxjazz / January 30, 2009 1:30 AM PST

I clicked on your link, and after checking my settings, sure enough it was set to save e-mails on the server. That must be the default setting as I did not choose that. It must have dumped those into the inbox when it was full. I wonder how many others will have that happen down the road...A follow up question on that would be how would you retreive an email message from the server if you had deleted it from the inbox? Just wanted to know so I can determine if it is worthwhile to keep messages on the server for some length of time. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Just another "your choice."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

If you don't leave email on server (stop here) then your common email software issues the delete command for that email.

These settings are entirely your choice.

Collapse -
by pdxjazz / January 30, 2009 2:30 AM PST

Yes, I understand if the emails aren't saved on the server they will be deleted by the common e-mail. What the link didn't explain is if you have the server save the emails, and happen to delete a message from the Windows Mail inbox (and deleted items box), and later decide I want to get the saved copy from the server, how do I do that? I could not find an explanation on that link, only how to change how long the server will save messages.

Collapse -
Re: seeing emails on server.
by Kees Bakker / January 30, 2009 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Understood

Most ISP's have a webmail interface to view them.

Collapse -
found it
by pdxjazz / January 30, 2009 3:25 AM PST

I could not find it on the comcast website, but googled "comcast webmail" and was then able to log in to webmail and view the deleted messages. Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Collapse -
you got lucky
by ````` / February 14, 2009 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Comcast e-mail flood

Comcast lost my uncle's email address list in the switch. He'd love to have a flood of his old mail to harvest back his addresses.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.