Internet Service Providers forum

by 1littlesheba / May 5, 2013 1:40 PM PDT

I find that I keep losing my internet at the same time every day but not my cable tv. I unplug my direct line to the splitter and plug it back in and it's fine for a while. Then I lose internet again. I have went and got another splitter from Comcast the results are the same. Any good help out there or it's just comcast ? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Odd thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2013 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Comcast

I heard the same thing about another ISP and we found they had set the IP Lease for 24 hours. This means that a long download would be interrupted daily. The problem with that was nothing anyone here could help as it is what it is.

What's your lease time? And how to you get the internet back?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd thing.

I meant "how do you" in the last sentence.

Collapse -
LOL just cable company
by WaCableTech / May 7, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Comcast

your cables inside your house are your property, you may ask comcast to maintain them but they WILL charge you for this. You don't expect jiffy lube to change you wind shield washer fluid for free right? If you go this route clear a path to all active outlets, and splitters inside and OUTSIDE the house. If you stack your boat up over your utility entry point MOVE IT before the tech gets there. If you grow roses there TRIM THEM. Unless yo do nto whant him to have access to do potentially needed repairs.

So there is a lot of missing data, if you have time to post the levels from [assuming your modem shows them to you] that may help also error logs if available. Suspect to see t3 errors but we shall see..

the most common issue is bad or loose fittings. They may be on the jumpers that go from the wall to the devices in your house [note jumpers to tv's or cable boxes being loose can interfere with your modems its called noise, bad fittings on any active outlet can also cause this]. So tighten fittings there are two user recommended ways.
1 wiggle cable with off hand and tighten fitting with main hand this helps unbind the threads and get it on all the way, or use a 7/16" wrench or pliers with MINIMAL force, just the weight of your arm if it moves its loose, use muscles and you change breaking what your tightening it to. The latter way is easier to get right both will work.

The next thing is the heat, its getting warmer could your modem or computer be overheating? try a fan or 2 and see if it gets better or worse.

It could also be the comcast system or drop issues, squirrels chew them, neighbors loose fittings generates so much noise it make sit to the main system instead of just his house and knocks everyone else out. But this is not frequent, its usually a loose/bad fitting on the subscribers cable system at his house that is the issue. Even if comcast installed the outlets YOU own them and are RESPONSIBLE for them. Unless by installed you mean within 30 days.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.