Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ComboFix - anyone find it useful?

by Willy / May 1, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

Tried it to see it work and possibilitgy add it to my tools. kinda primitive but seems effective, it does give a show.

What are your results? -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ComboFix - anyone find it useful?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ComboFix - anyone find it useful?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ComboFix
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 1, 2008 4:47 AM PDT

Hi Willy,

this is NOT a tool for the "average Joe\Jane" as it states:

Due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer. Instead you should use this guide to download and run ComboFix and then post the resulting log in a forum that contains helpers who understand how to diagnose them. These helpers will then help you clean your computer of infections so that it is running properly again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Collapse -
Too late
by Willy / May 1, 2008 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ComboFix

Grrrr...

Well, the test bed did OK. Being happy I tried it on the problem system. It got hosed big time. Yeah, I'm no average Joe, but it happened w/o a clue as to why. BUT, the problem, I tried to correct is so embedded that something drastic had to be done. I always can reformat. In fact this system is so infected, it tops my own list. Its beyond how it got that way, but it is and repeated attempts only keep it in check but not removed. I really tried and so help me Gawd, it was a PITA. So, awaiting all the full restore CDs the owner said they had, will I proceed again. I can recover, but did from day 1, mentioned a reformat is a time saver and necessary cost of recovery. Plus, have a big talk with the kids. Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
ComboFix
by Bugbatter / May 1, 2008 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Too late

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is an excellent tool, and is far from "primitive".
Too bad you ignored the warning in ComboFix's disclaimer at the start of the program.

Collapse -
A roll of the dice
by Willy / May 1, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

As a tool it became more destructive that the problem, IMHO. I took precautions, but found it rather unstable as the system can't be booted. Thus, i don't see what or where is crapped out under a normal recovery. I did see it work and then not. So, I took it as yet something else to resolve a problem. Thems the breaks, but I won't use but as a last resort, now.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
ComboFix
by Bugbatter / May 2, 2008 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: A roll of the dice

The main precaution that you neglected was working with a security analyst who has access to information about the tool, and who has some idea of what is on the system to begin with. ComboFix is not a general scanner. It targets certain things and can break certain things. When you use it "as a last resort" working closely with someone who has been trained in its use is a must.

Collapse -
combo fix
by blutrank / February 20, 2010 5:12 AM PST

every time i try to download combo fix it says, cannot change name and shows combo fix[1] i did not try to change name.

Collapse -
Try renaming it...
by Donna Buenaventura / February 20, 2010 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: combo fix
Collapse -
Hi blutrank
by Bugbatter / February 20, 2010 7:10 PM PST

The trained helper who advised you to run ComboFix will know exactly what that error means and will be able to handle the situation easily. Please report it to that person. If you were not working with someone, there is a list of malware removal forums at the ComboFix Instructions link that Donna posted.

Collapse -
combo fix
by blutrank / February 24, 2010 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Hi blutrank

went back and found i had made a mistake. downloaded combo fix and ran it, it was very easy and i do not believe a helper is not needed if you follow the instructions. it went and did its thing. did not find any spy waer but did find a lot of junk which i deleted. Computer is just getting to old so will have to buy a new one. it only has 256mg of ram with xp running it uses all my ram, it use to be a very fine running computer and had no prob running photo shop until i put XP on it and that was the beginning of hell.

Collapse -
I agree
by Donna Buenaventura / February 24, 2010 4:05 AM PST

As long as you follow an updated guide which is BleepingComputer.com often does, you should not have problem using Combofix.

Maybe an upgrade of RAM is only needed. XP is still supported until 2014.

Collapse -
Instructions?
by Bugbatter / February 24, 2010 4:47 AM PST
"i do not believe a helper is not needed if you follow the instructions."

That is correct. A helper is needed for interpreting the output logs, for writing the script to accompany the tool, and for what to do about the malware that ComboFix does not fix or that which is a false positive. Nor are daily changes in the tool (that may cause conflicts /issues) included in Bleeping Computer's instructions. ComboFix was recently pulled from the download sites for a few days because it was turning computers into doorstops. People who had downloaded those copies and were running it off the record had no way of knowing this until it was too late, and had no helper available who could report the issue to the developer.

As long as you are happy with the results that's great. However, I would advise others to read the disclaimer and not to use ComboFix unless they are working with someone who has been trained in its use, and knows what to do when things go wrong.
Collapse -
One od the best functions of ComboFix ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 23, 2010 6:48 AM PST

and one that does not require any "expertise" is its ability to install the Windows Recovery Console as a boot option for those many people with pre-installed systems who lack the Installation CD and thus often have no means to boot to the Recovery Console.

Collapse -
Worked great for...
by glp604 / November 26, 2010 1:39 AM PST

browser redirect virus. From the research I did, almost no anti spyware program will pick up the dreaded redirect virus. I got something a few days ago that included the redirect virus. SuperAntiSpyware got rid of everything else but the redirect. It's so frustrating that my next step would have been to rebuild my laptop from scratch - format c:. Luckily Combofix automatically removes the redirect virus. No need for a helper if all you do is let combofix run. If anyone wants, I can post the log results.

Collapse -
Indeed, it is useful tool
by Donna Buenaventura / November 26, 2010 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Worked great for...

However, this topic is very old and we rather see discussion on the said topic instead of who can and cannot use. The author of Combofix continues to provide updates on the program and fixes, if needed. A guide to use is also available in many trusted sources.

This old topic is now locked.

Please start a new topic if you need to discuss or ask question again regarding the same subject.

Thank you for your kind cooperation on this moderation note.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.