Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

combo cd/dvd drive does not detect or play dvds

by dambu32 / January 30, 2005 1:33 PM PST

I thought it might have been the laser or optics but drive recognizes (& plays w/ no problems) cd-rom game (civilization 3) and even the most scratched music cds I have. Also recognizes all burned cds/data cds. I have played a few dvds on this computer in the past. So I know that at least it used to work. According to windows xp the driver is up to date and working properly. Compaq Presario laptop r3260 w/ combo dvd/dvd+r drive, windows xp pro sp2. DVDs will not play w/ realplayer, windows media player, or intervideo dvd player, does not show up on the my computer window, it looks like the drive is empty on this window. successfully played dvds before downloading sp2, could that be it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: combo cd/dvd drive does not detect or play dvds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: combo cd/dvd drive does not detect or play dvds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
combo cd/dvd drive does not detect or play dvds
by Gladi8er / January 30, 2005 3:08 PM PST

I too have the same problem. I have a Liteon LTD163 DVD/CD Rom - XP Pro Desktop & in the past no problems using any of the programs you mentioned above as well as buying and installing the nVidia DVD codec for Windows Media Player. As well, only music cds & games are recognized.

As with you, after inserting a DVD into the drive it prompts me to insert a disk if I try to explore or play disk.

I upgraded the firmware on the DVD player to the most recent version & get the same results. The region is set for Region 1.

I have searched all over the internet for some answer & yet have I found any to solve this problem. All I see are people saying that they go out & buy a new DVD drive. To me that's not a solution. I have cleaned the drive & the PC has never been dropped so I know it is not damaged. I have removed the drive and reinstalled it & same thing.

If you find any solution or fix, please post it here to help myself or others in the future.

Thanks!

Collapse -
CD-R
by suzygski / February 3, 2005 9:35 AM PST

I am having the same problem only in reverse. My dvd/cd combo drive will write and play dvd's but not cd's. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
COMBO dvd cd drives
by barndoors / February 3, 2005 10:46 PM PST

I am suspicious that these combo drives just employ too much technology to keep up with themselves.
If I boot up with a cd in mine, it knows it has a cd and cd drive.
If I boot up with a DVD it usually knows that too.
BUT, if I swap during a session, it blows the drive's mind and sometimes it doesn't even show that I have a drive!
PLUS sometimes it cannot even read perfectly good CDs. I move them to another computer and they read fine.
While I was writing this, I opened the drive, took out the CD that was in it, inserted a good DVD with my backup files on it, and checked to see ... Sure enough, it says it cannot read the CD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shutting down with a restart is the only fix I have found. I've upgraded the firmware, software, blah blah ...

I'm planning to install a separate CD-RW drive and just keep the stupid things apart! Happy Hope that will solve my problems.

Collapse -
MS KB
by Matt-Page / February 6, 2005 8:46 PM PST
Collapse -
thanks to everyone
by dambu32 / February 8, 2005 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: MS KB

thanks for your help I think I've got it now, the biggest problem is I'm workin on a relic of an ibm, when the hard disk works it sounds like it's chipping a stone tablet, thanks again.

Collapse -
Whoops, wrong thread response
by dambu32 / February 8, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: thanks to everyone

Sorry wasn't paying attention, my previous response is concerning another problem w/ my father's computer, keep the info coming on this problem, and thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.