Peripherals

General discussion

Color Laser to handle 110 lb card stock?

by redsp / May 12, 2009 5:46 AM PDT

My small business is looking for a color laser printer we can run about 1000 prints on 110 lb card stock every other month - average of 8000-10000 prints per year on the heavier paper. (With regular 20lb paper used daily)

I'm having a hard time locating a printer with specs to handle the heavier weight. We have an HP 3550 that did well with the stock for 4 years and only recently started to give us trouble (only on the heavy stock.) From there we discovered the card stock referred to in support documents was only 60 lb paper. Our search has been slow and difficult. Printer companies aren't clear what weight constitutes "card stock" in their general marketing materials. Wink

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Color Laser to handle 110 lb card stock?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Color Laser to handle 110 lb card stock?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While I suggest taking that to a printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ricoh-Xerox
by redsp / May 14, 2009 3:50 AM PDT

Yes I did, actually. One told me they make no such printer (meaning one that will handle 110 lb card stock) and the other has yet to return with the promised answer. Happy

Collapse -
Ask about that specific model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2009 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Ricoh-Xerox

"With the ability to hold up to 2,300 sheets and to support paper up to
57lb. Bond / 120 lb. Index, the Aficio SP C420DN"

I wonder if they consider 110 lb to be out of spec?

Collapse -
I tested all Models at Office Max and Found...
by misty_james / November 28, 2009 12:24 AM PST

The search for a printer that can handle heavy card stock has been harder than I could imagine. I actually took some 110lb matte and glossy card stock into Office Max and tested it out all the color lasers to see which ones could handle the paper best. Only two machines tested well and those were the HP CM2320NF and the CM1312NFI. I can tell you that is important that you buy a color laser that has a manual feed because if it has to pull from the by-pass tray it will bend the paper too much and cause roller marks on the paper. By far the printed results were better when you feed the paper through the manual feeder. The two HP's I listed above actually tested really well and the picture clarity was great. Now I haven't actually bought one yet because I'm still researching my options so if anyone has a better idea please let me know.

Collapse -
Hey there?
by theseptemberrose / January 28, 2010 7:35 PM PST

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have a small wedding invitation business and I am having major problems finding a printer to support my 110 lb. paper. I have been using an HP 4700DN up until now, but I have had print quality issues for about a month. I have replaced the fuser ($300.00 which did not solve my problem)and played with all the settings, but the text seems blurred and shadowed and I can only believe that I have pushed it to it's limit.

Any information that you found would be very much appreciated. I have a ton of work to get done in the next month or so but I have no where to turn.

Please let me know...thanks!

Collapse -
See reply above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Hey there?

That model does 120LB. And my advice is to pick up the phone to the makers.

Collapse -
Printer
by dsfnmsw / September 2, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

I asked HP the same question and this was there reply:

The following HP Color LaserJet printers are able to print on 110 lb. index card stock as small as 3? x 5?:

- HP Color LaserJet CP3525 Series
- HP Color LaserJet CP4025 Series
- HP Color LaserJet CP4525 Series
- HP Color LaserJet CP6015 Series

I have not tested or bought any of them, let me know if someone else has

Collapse -
HP Color LaserJet CP4525
by bridge5659 / October 31, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer

I purchased the HP Color LaserJet CP4525N...I LOVE the quality of the print. I purched this printer with the aid of an HP small business tech and I told him I would be using up to 110 lb cardstock. However, the heavier paper pulls crooked (I use the manual feed) and it jams after printing more than 25 in a row...very frustrating. Additionally, I have had issues with the postscript printer, but I think I have those bugs worked out. Previously I used the HP 4700dn, that one definitely handled the paper better, but the print isn't as crsip and the colors aren't as vibrant.

I did call tech support about my paper handling issues with the CO4525n and was told this printer wasn't meant for 110lb cardstock...needless to say I am frustrated and would love if anyone is using one out there that works. I am trying to startup a small invitation business and my current production time is not cost effective.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2010 9:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Any luck finding a color printer that will do 110 lb index
by tempcs123 / December 8, 2010 3:20 PM PST

Have you looked into Konica Minolta or Kyocera
They both make units that work with 110 lb card stock
The Konica Minolta units are the 4650 and the 5670 the Kyocera products 5200 / 5300 / 5400 will do up to 120lb index. You may want to contact the company directly or find a dealer and have them try a few sheets out for you

Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM
by COS11 / March 3, 2011 8:47 AM PST

JUST BPOUGHT A HP3535 AND IT BLURS THE PHOTOS ON THE STOCK I WAS USING A HP3500 BUT WITH WINDOWS 7 THERE ARE NO DRIVERS FOR IT....THE HP3525 WORKS ONLY IF YOU PRINT 1 SHEET AT A TIME AND THEN LET IT COOL FRUSTRATING...SO I SEARCHED THE NET AND YOUR PROBLEM CAME UP....WAS WONDERING IF YOU EVER RESOLVED IT

Collapse -
Cardstock printers
by Johnprime69 / March 24, 2011 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM

I've been in the hobby of creating cardstock models for some time and previously I was using an HP BusinessJet inkjet printer for my models. Unfortunately, it has a tendency to jam or not pull the paper correctly. So I've been looking for a replacement printer. Most companies I've talked to about printing cardstock through their printers warn you not to.

But I have found a printer series that actually says it will handle cardstock. The Okidata C711 series printer lists cardstock in the range of media it can handle, see below...

"The C711 Series from OKI Printing Solutions quickly delivers high-quality output on a wide range of media - including card stock and banners up to 52 inches in length. For high-impact documents and improved workgroup performance-along with tighter controlover your printing costs and security-look to the C711 Series."

Staples carries this printer on their website, so you can check out the specs. Hope this helps, I know I'll be investing in one sometime in the future when I upgrade my machine to go from an inkjet to a laser printer.

Collapse -
Finding a printer that prints on metalic paper and vellum.
by Tanzangel777 / July 30, 2011 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Cardstock printers

Hey there, did you eventually get that upgrade you wanted to the C711 series?

If so, how does it handle the cardstock and have you tried out materials, such as vellum and metalic?

I have been looking at printers for a while, and one of the specs many printers have, is to print on transparency... so surely if it can fuse to that it can print on metalic and vellum or not so?

Collapse -
Re: Finding a printer that prints on metalic paper and vellu
by Johnprime69 / January 25, 2012 12:37 AM PST

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner about this Tanzangel777, meant to post after I saw that you responded, but didn't have the time, then I forgot all about it. Problem with getting older!

I still haven't gotten the C711 series, but hope to do so sometime in April or May of this year. As far as printing on metalic or vellum, I don't know if it can. I'd try and contact them directly.

Collapse -
How about a mono laser that can handle 110lb card stock?
by PT393 / January 31, 2013 8:07 AM PST

I'm having similar issues finding the right printer. I'm looking for a black and white printer that can handle the 110lb paper but also has a low CPP because of all the other, normal office printing we do. Also (because it's a small office), it needs to be relatively small and fit on a desk. So far what i've seen is the HP 600 series or P3015n, the Oki B700, or the Cannon 6780. Any reccomendations on these or any others that may work?

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.