Mac Hardware forum

Question

Color circle

by nanccn / February 17, 2012 7:30 AM PST

What is the colored (red,blue,green, yellow,?) circle that goes around when clicking on something? Doesn't do this all the time, just sometimes and usually when something isn't right. Thanks....

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Color circle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Color circle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is it this one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Color circle
Collapse -
Thank You
by nanccn / February 18, 2012 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Is it this one?

It appears that I need more ram. I thought the salesman knew what my needs were. It appearsthat I have only 384 ram. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Which Mac model do you have?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2012 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

with that small amount of RAM, you either have an older Mac or you have misread/mistyped the RAM details

Collapse -
Forgot to mention
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2012 11:20 PM PST

At the top left of the screen, under the Apple, you will find "About this Mac"
Click it and the next little window will tell you what your OS version is and how much memory you have installed.

Collapse -
About this Mac
by nanccn / February 19, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot to mention

I have a MacBook Pro, 13" Early 2011
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel core i5
<div>Software Mac OS X Lion Version 10.7.3 (11D50b)
Graphic Intel HD Graphic 3000 384 Ram
I hit the memory button and Wow
4 GB installed 2 slots each accepts 1333 MHz DDR3
All slots in use

Collapse -
You don't need a "cleaner"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2012 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: About this Mac

which are not really worth the bandwidth they take up when you download them.

Collapse -
Not sure where the info is
by nanccn / February 20, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I did as you asked. I have clicked on all the listed items. The only thing I think it may be is the info in Serial ATA. Let me know if that is so. You have been such a big help. Thank you again.

Collapse -
that's the one,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 3:57 AM PST

and, if you are running OS X 10.7.x (Lion) you could just click on the Storage option and it will show you, graphically, what you need to know

Collapse -
Free
by nanccn / February 21, 2012 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: that's the one,

282 GB out of 319GB. Does that make any sense. thank you again.

Collapse -
Yep, that's the one,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Free

and that rules out the lack of hard drive space.

Collapse -
Not Sure
by nanccn / February 22, 2012 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Yep, that's the one,

I don't think I have more than one at a time. I close all my windows when I am using an app. There are more than one window open when i do my mail and some research.

Collapse -
The question was "how many applications"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Not Sure

do you have running at the same time.

That is not the same as How many windows do you have open at the same time"

On a Mac, unlike Windows, closing an applications window by using the Red dot at the top left of the window, does not cause the application to Quit.
It just closes the window, the application is still running and eating up your RAM.

Take a look at the dock, notice that under some of the icons there is a little black triangle or a white mark?
You will always see one under the Finder face, first on the left hand end of the dock, and one under each of the applications that you have running.

Launch Mail and Safari and you'll see those marks appear. Now close the Safari window. Note that the mark is still there. Safari is still running.

Next time the beach ball appears, see how many apps you have running.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.