Samsung forum

General discussion

Color bleeding

by newhd / February 16, 2009 11:31 PM PST

I have noticed some color bleeding on my new PN50A530. Colors displayed on a white or light background bleed a bit to the left (no vertical bleeding). If there is a 1-800 number displayed in yellow on a white background, you see a whole yellowish bar covering the number. White text displayed on a black background has crisp edges, no bleeding. I don't notice the bleeding much at all during regular tv watching, but during advertisements it is more clear when they have text on the screen. There is also some ghosting, also noticeable only with small text, to the right of the text.

Anyone have similar problem? Can anything be done about this?

It doesn't seem to related to tv settings. You can lower the contrast to 50 and still see the same thing. Other setting changes I have tried also don't seem to affect this, but I could be missing something.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Color bleeding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Color bleeding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD or SD?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2009 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: Color bleeding

newhd,

Are you watching high definition or standard definition signals when you see this occur?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: HD ord SD
by newhd / February 22, 2009 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: HD or SD?

This is in SD. Don't have HD box or a blueray/upconverting dvd player yet. Should this make a difference?

Collapse -
SD bleeding?
by newhd / February 24, 2009 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: HD ord SD

Any ideas? Can color bleeding occur simply because the signal is SD?

Collapse -
Noticed simmiler affect.
by The_Pickle / February 24, 2009 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: SD bleeding?

I noticed something similar on my LCD LN32A550. I have not started troubleshooting my problem yet, so I will be interested to see what people say about your problem. I am using a DirecTV HD receiver, and I noticed it when there were some thin white lines going horizontally across the screen. It looked the same as when the convergence is off on older CRTs. Since it is an LCD, this should be impossible. I do not see the same problem now while using it as my computer monitor, so I do not think my TV is at fault.

How do you have your source hooked up? Since it is an SD signal, is it a cable or satellite box? Make sure you are using the best possible connection your box supports. I would use S-Video or component cables if your box supports it. If you are using the old composite (single RCA for video), or, you are using a coax from a "TV out" and tuning in to Ch 3, your picture quality will be far from the best your TV can give you.

Also, look at the quality of your cables. If the shielding is week, or if there is a slight short between the shielding and the conductor, or cable quality is poor (thin), you will see image quality problems.

The ghosting problem sounds a little like what you can get from analog over the air reception when you get multi-path reception from the station (eg, signal straight from the TV station, and then the same signal after it has bounced off a wall, mountain, etc, causing it to be received slightly later it time). If you are using cable, this could be their fault as they might be using an antenna themselves to pickup the signal.

* First thing I would do is hook up an antenna to the back of your TV and watch some OTA HD channels. I pickup much more HD channels then I could with my old SD TV. This will allow you to see what your TV can do in HD, and will rule out any problems caused your cable or satellite company.

* Second, make sure you are using the best possible output to your TV. HDMI is the best, Component next (3 RCA cables for video), then S-Video, then composite (single RCA cable), then last is coax.

* Try different cables to make sure you don't have a bad cable.

* See if there is a firmware update that addresses your problem. Just be careful with firmware updates and follow the directions to the letter as firmware updates can go very bad. Just look around at this website and you will find a few examples.

Also, one of the draw backs of a good HD TV, is that it will show any and all defects in your source signal. Most, if not all cable and satellite companies compress the video signal to squeeze more channels through. When I had Comcast, the digital artifacts caused by their compression was so bad, that I got canceled it. (and that was when I had an old CRT ST TV). Also, I have never seen SD look good on an HD tv. So, when you get HD, you should notice a world of difference

Good luck! If I track down the cause of my "convergence" problem, I will post it here to see if it applies.

Collapse -
will change cables
by newhd / February 25, 2009 6:04 AM PST

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have a Directv SD receiver hooked up to the tv by a coax. I will change that to component to see if it makes any difference. I did try a different coax cable but that did not have any effect. I have updated the firmware to the latest version. I am not sure about the reason for ghosting, because the reception is through the directv dish.

Collapse -
Bleeding...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2009 3:27 PM PST
In reply to: SD bleeding?

Well, Standard Definition inputs have 480 lines of resolution. The panel in question has 1080 lines of resolution. So while the television's processor will always upconvert it, it has to add picture where none exists.

Think of SD signals as zooming in a little close on a small picture file on your computer.

This "guessing" isn't always an exact science, and can cause some fuzziness or color inaccuracies. If you add any measure of static, then it can start to distort the picture. If I'm imagining your description correctly, that may seem to be the case. I do believe with an HD signal, that issue would be more than likely non-existant.

But keep me posted. I am watching this thread.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Woo hoo!
by newhd / March 2, 2009 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Bleeding...

Ok - I think the problem is solved. First, as suggested by The_Pickle, I changed the connection between (sd) STB and the tv from coax to s-video. The ghosting is gone, and the bleeding is minimized very much!

Secondly, also as suggested The_Pickle, I got a rabbit years antenna to try and pick up an hd channel. Bada boom, what a great picture! I haven't noticed any bleeding or any PQ problems at all. Unbelivable. I would have never thought of buying an antenna from the 50's to get a hd picture on the latest and greatest equipment.

Coax can carry multiple digital channels from your dish to the STB. Coax can carry hd channels from your $10 antenna to your tv. But it cannot carry one hd channel from your (hd) STB to your tv, and won't even properly carry a sd channel from a (sd) STB to the tv. Confusing for sure, but looks like that's they way it is.

Thanks to Samsung_HD_Tech and The_Pickle for all the help!

Collapse -
Glad to here your problem is solved!
by The_Pickle / March 3, 2009 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Woo hoo!

I think the poor picture quality you had with the coax cable is likely your DirecTV box.

When you connect the STB to your TV using a s-video cable, the video signal is transmitted to your tv as a video signal. When you use a coax cable, the STB has to convert the video signal into a "radio frequency" signal (a process called RF modulation) that would simulate what a TV would receive over the air. My guess is the RF modulator in the direcTV STB is cheap. Your older TV probably showed the same flaws, but, you just didn't notice them as much. Where your new TV's higher resolution, these flaws became more apparent.

One way to prove this is to tune into an analog channel (if they are still broadcasting where you live) and see what the picture looks like. My guess is that your picture will look better then what you saw on your STB using a coax cable, but nowhere near the picture you are getting on the HD channels!

If you plan to stay with DirecTV, you will have to upgrade to High Definition if you want to make your new TV shine. When you upgrade to HD (DirecTV, Cable, etc) make sure you connect your HD STB to your TV using a HDMI cable. The signal going through an HDMI cable are digital, so your TV will be showing the exact picture your HD STB is receiving.

Also, don't confuse digital tv with high definition. Your standard definition DirecTV box is receiving a digital signal, but, the source signal is still a standard definition image. To get high definition with DirecTV, you have to get a new box from them that is able to receive their HD channels. Both the HD and SD channels are received digitally, but, the difference is the source. A HD channel is 1920x1080 or 1280x720 where your SD channels are 640x480. With about 4 times as many "pixels", you can see why HD will always look better then SD. (think of receiving a low resolution picture vs. a high resolution picture by email. Both pictures a "digital" file, but one going to look much better.)

When you get a blu-ray, or an HD STB, make sure to connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable! Without it, you will most likely be watching SD again!

Glad I could help (and hope I didn't just confuse you more....)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.