Samsung forum

Question

Codec not supported - Samsung Smart TV series 6000

by rbindal / August 13, 2011 1:08 AM PDT

I've been downloading and watching 1080p movies in .mkv format by USB/USB HDD and they all have worked fine. Today I downloaded a movie in .mkv but when I try and play it in my TV it says "Video codec not supported".

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Codec not supported - Samsung Smart TV series 6000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Codec not supported - Samsung Smart TV series 6000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First, MKV is not a codec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 1:12 AM PDT

It's a container and what's inside can be almost anything. This is why you should never see anyone claim to support all MKV and AVI playback. The MKV and AVI is supported but not what's inside the container.

This will continue to confuse many for years to come but your supplier of the content will have to tell you if it's ready to play on this set.
Bob

Collapse -
thx for the response
by rbindal / August 13, 2011 5:55 PM PDT

thx for respose but can u you explain me more I am not very much aware of this

Collapse -
You need another codec
by pbb72 / August 13, 2011 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: thx for the response
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the well written reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2011 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You need another codec
Collapse -
thx
by rbindal / August 17, 2011 3:00 AM PDT

thx

Collapse -
Will upgrading Firmware support more codec?
by ronakthakker / November 5, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

I have samsung LED TV UA22D5000NRLXL.
When I tried playing a file having Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) on TV, it gave me message 'Video codec not supported'.

There is latest firmware upgrade available to my TV.

Does upgrading firmware will support more codecs?

Collapse -
Will upgrading Firmware support more codec?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2011 4:33 AM PST

ronakthakker,

Collapse -
Resolution not in the spesifications.
by KimSteinhaug / July 15, 2013 12:23 AM PDT

Thank you for the link:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/learningresources/media2.0/usb_faq.html

However it states nothing about the resolution. Seems to me if you play a file with say 1920x1056 px resolution it does not play, if it were 1920x1080 px it plays fine. I either need to reencode the entire movie or Samsung would have to come with updates that allowes other resolutions.

Collapse -
re: Resolution not in the spesifications
by KimSteinhaug / July 15, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

Update: I reencoded a 1920x1080 file in different resolutions and they all worked. 1920x1056, 1600x900 as example. This leads me to the conclusion that there are something wrong with the two files I cannot play on the TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.