TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Coaxial to HDMI conversion

by KDB0000 / December 9, 2012 4:15 AM PST

I am pre-wired with HDMI to hang an HDTV on my wall. And I have coaxial cable coming into the room.
Problem is I don't want to pay for a cable box in this room, and I don't want to run a coaxial cable across the wall to this HDTV hanging on the wall.
Is there a way to convert coaxial cable to HDMI. I'm hoping for a reasonably priced converter device. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coaxial to HDMI conversion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coaxial to HDMI conversion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What signal is on that coax?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 4:19 AM PST

And let's keep in mind that many cable companies have removed clear channels from cable signals so you are not going to get another receiver unless it's from them.
Bob

Collapse -
Kind of signal
by KDB0000 / December 9, 2012 4:40 AM PST

While I know a little about TVs, I didn't realize there were different signals from coax. Do you mean digital or analog? It's not getting converted in anyway, so I'm assuming analog, but not sure. How do I know what kind of signal?

Collapse -
Bob is onto something
by Pepe7 / December 9, 2012 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Kind of signal

There's a little more involved than simply digital/analog unfortunately. Nearly all of the cable companies scramble/encrypt at least some of their channel offerings. That's likely going to be the pressing issue with your plan. In some cases the cable company may only let you receive a much smaller selection of channels in the other room where you don't feel like paying for the second cable box ;(.

Collapse -
I understand
by KDB0000 / December 9, 2012 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Bob is onto something

I'm OK with that. I do it in another secondary room in the house as well, and get a decent number of channels. Do you know of any such device to help me with that connection? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Try something like this
by Pepe7 / December 10, 2012 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: I understand
Collapse -
Great
by KDB0000 / December 10, 2012 10:05 AM PST

I think this will do the trick. Not thrilled about paying that much for what seemed like a simple device need. But I very much appreciate you finding this for me. If you stumble across anything less expensive, I'd appreciate learning about it. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.