TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Coaxial digital to Optical digital coverter for Raw signal

by paulhmckee / January 12, 2013 1:26 AM PST

I have an Insignia TV model #NS-50L240A13 which has a Coaxial digital Output connection. I also have a Samsung 5.1CH Blu-Ray Home Entertainment System which is used as my audio receiver for my Insignia TV. The Samsung unit has an input jack for optical digital audio. I have tried using the Impact Coaxial to Optical Converter model #40018, however it could only process SPDIF PCM signals only and would not decode the SPDIF RAW signals thereby limiting audio output to two audio channels only. I am looking for advice on where I can obtain a working Coaxial digital to Optical digital converter that can process the RAW audio signals so that my Samsung receiver is able to decode the Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 audio signals.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coaxial digital to Optical digital coverter for Raw signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coaxial digital to Optical digital coverter for Raw signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Converter #40018 does not process RAW
by paulhmckee / January 12, 2013 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: something like this

I appreciate your link, however, as indicated in my original post this Impact Converter Model @40018 will not process the RAW signal, only PCM. Is it possible that I need to change a setting in the Samsung audio receiver to receive the RAW signal?

Collapse -
Receiver function
by sunwatcher / January 12, 2013 6:20 AM PST

Processing is not a function of the converter. The converter merely makes the coax compatible with the optical in/out.

You will need to check your Samsung system to see if it can process raw (bitstream) data. The one Samsung theater manual I looked at specifically excludes bitstream processing, but you should check the manual for your particular receiver.

Collapse -
Receiver information
by paulhmckee / January 12, 2013 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Receiver function

Thanks for this info. I know that my Samsung audio receiver does process Dolby 5.1 from the Blu-ray Disc player and also does so from Apple TV using the HDMI port. I just assumed that it would also decode the raw bitstream as well. I will have to consult this issue with Samsung tech support. In the meantime I have to prerecord all my tv shows that support Dolby 5.1 and convert to Apple TV format, but I would also like to be able to receive live TV Dolby 5.1.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.