TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Coax to HDMI converter ONLY

by nishan421 / April 7, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

Hi, I was looking for a converter because I need one to make my TV channels look more hd and i searched everywhere, all that comes up is converters with coax and av cables to hdmi. I just want a small little converter that only has 1 coax port for input and 1 HDMI port for the out put. Please if anyone can find one like that it would mean so much to me. And under $50 because there is one that i found that has coax and av cables in the input with HDMI in the output. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coax to HDMI converter ONLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coax to HDMI converter ONLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't understand.
by ahtoi / April 7, 2012 4:34 PM PDT

You want hdmi output; that tells me you have a hdtv (most likely). Doesn't this tv have a atsc (digital) tuner (it should)? Maybe your signal strength is not very strong. Converter is will not be much help in this case. We really need more information as to exactly what tv you have.

Collapse -
Coaxial to HDMI output
by stratified / October 30, 2013 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand.

I have an LED TV that has an internal tuner. I also have an indoor antenna that captures the digital TV signals that are broadcast over the air which I can see fine on my TV with the exception of a couple of stations that have a weak signal and reception is based on meteorological conditions at the time (cloud=view; no cloud=too weak to watch)

In order to fix this problem I want to move the antenna to the second floor; the output cable is coaxial which I want to convert to HDMI which will then be plugged into a wireless transmitter; the wireless receiver will be by the TV and connected via HDMI cabling.

Contrary to some posts, the digital signal can be transmitted by coaxial cable specifically designed to do so (otherwise the signal from my digital antenna would not be carried to the TV) hence connecting the coaxial output from my digital antenna to an hdmi connector which is then plugged into a transmitter that can handle toe signal should work.

I am wondering where in Canada I can buy a coaxial to hdmi connector to complete the network.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Coaxial to HDMI output

You claim this is possible then ask for where to get such? Something's not right.

In closing, I own a Silicon Dust unit. You might like that.
Bob

Collapse -
No such animal . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2012 11:15 PM PDT

Coax is an analog signal, as is the AV connector, HDMI is a fully digital signal. There is no such "cable" converter.

Collapse -
The odd part about the OP's post
by Pepe7 / April 8, 2012 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: No such animal . . .

It appears as though he/she's making an attempt at improving the PQ of certain non-HD channels. We all know how non-HD channels can sometimes look bad, depending on the provider & feed. In this sense, there's nothing that will upscale that content properly to look like the HD feeds (clearly).

Don't forget that the cable signal coming into the house via a coax cable could be analog or digital, although truth be told, most areas have already switched to digital cable, with most channels still not broadcast in HD.

To nishan421> Tell us more about your system/provider/HDTV.

Collapse -
Info
by nishan421 / April 9, 2012 6:17 AM PDT

I am trying to convert coax to hdmi so i can get a better picture and i have a mix of digital and analog. My tv has a coax and a hdmi port and i want a better picture. Also if i convert it will the channels be HD?

Here are some converters with a lot of inputs, i just want coax as an input.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/apogee-dvi-to-hdmi-converter-spdif-optical-toslink-coaxial-input-output

I want something like that but with coax as the only input not anything else. This also has coax as an input.

Collapse -
Re: converter
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Info

If that box works (which seems doubtful to me), I'd buy it. Why mind about the extra inputs?

Kees

Collapse -
You missed the boat here
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2012 6:37 AM PDT

It will not improve your picture. Take in proper context, convert simply means one connection into another so you can plug it into a specific device. It doesn't say anything in the specifications on the link you provided about upscaling channels or increasing PQ. That's where the rubber hits the road. A direct coax connection from your cable or satellite provider into your HDTV via a coax cable will suffice.

Or is the lack of inputs on your HDTV the crux of this matter?

Collapse -
"It will not improve your picture."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 6:59 AM PDT

Nod.

Collapse -
I don't think that box will do what you are after.
by ahtoi / April 9, 2012 3:05 PM PDT

If money is no object then here is a way you could do it. Get an external tuner and a video scaler; the antenna connect to the tuner, the tuner connect to the scaler, then the scaler connects to the TV. External tuner is not that expensive but the video scaler is very expensive. Personally I just learn to love my none-HD tv broadcast.

Collapse -
Links
by nishan421 / April 12, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

Hi, i now understand i wont get a better picture but can you give me some links on ones to buy them and i have to buy 3 things?

Collapse -
Try DVDO
by Pepe7 / April 13, 2012 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Links

It's about a half a grand, and is pretty decent for a consumer grade scaler IME. Example:
http://www.dvdo.com/

An external antenna/tuner to bring in OTA (=over the air) signals (some are in HD) would be easy enough as well, depending on where you live/proximity to the transmitter. Not sure about adding a scaler to that mix however. I havent' seen it personally, but technically is seems possible even w/ the DVDO consumer grade equipment if you read the spec sheets.

Collapse -
TV's say they can't get full picture quality without hdmi
by aztec33 / August 20, 2012 4:22 AM PDT

so I think these people may be wrong.

Collapse -
here is what mean.
by aztec33 / August 20, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

"High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound."

from product from an LCD HDTV at best buy. and i think my uncle has a box to converter box

Collapse -
You missed some important points in this discussion
by Pepe7 / August 21, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: here is what mean.

Keep in mind that I made a reference to a DVDO scaler. The OP *only* referred to making a 'regular channel look more like HD'. That's what you could use a scaler (or similar device) to accomplish. Read about scaler specifications so you can properly understand what's going on here.

Now, if he also was looking for surround sound, namely the expanded audio of blu ray codecs, etc., using HDMI would be the only way to go. Otherwise, if he only needed DD5.1 or DTS, a digital optical or digital coaxial connection could suffice, depending on the actual hardware he ended up with. Again, put these topics in perspective in this thread and we are good to go ;).

cheers

Collapse -
I disagree
by Pepe7 / August 20, 2012 4:30 AM PDT

Be more detailed in what you are referring to, and perhaps we can have an actual discussion and figure out what is meant by all Wink

Collapse -
Sure coax can convert to HDMI
by triago_the_great / August 7, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

There are tons of coax to HDMI converters. What do you think your cable box does? Unfortunately, they are expensive. Also, if your not getting an HD coax signal, then obviously the converter will do nothing. However, many channels provide free HD broadcast, like NBC, CBS, and the Food network. You can buy an HD antenna, run the coax through the HDMI converter, and bada bing.... HD TV

Collapse -
A little help please
by Mrandazzo55555 / September 21, 2013 1:50 PM PDT

Could you tell me if there is a way to take my RCA Selectivision recorder from Coax to HDMI? The picture from coax to coax is just horrible. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully

Michael

Collapse -
hi
by sh977218 / November 27, 2013 12:48 PM PST

if there is no such thing convert coax to HDMI. how did the cable box TV company provided works?

Collapse -
Please top post this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2013 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: hi

While how the cable box works is interesting, the topic is slightly different. Please start a new discussion if you want to dive into cable box tech.
Bob

-> This thread is more than 599 days old. and closed.

Collapse -
Coax to HDMI Converter
by dcshifter / February 19, 2013 8:35 AM PST

This may be what anyone in this situation is looking for. $136 +/-

http://www.ambery.com/anvitodvcowi.html

Also if you have a DVD Player with tuner and proper connections, you may be able to use that to do the trick. Worth a try before spending money. Good luck! The units under $50 seem to be audio to HDMI.

Collapse -
Nope- cheap scalers stink, amigo
by Pepe7 / February 19, 2013 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Coax to HDMI Converter

If you actually compare the results between a DVDO unit (see my above post), and cheap chinese crap like this, it's pretty easy to see why you should save your money.

Don't forget that many cable systems now encrypt, so the 'use the DVD player as an upconverter' trick is not much help either. Not that it looked any good anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.