Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Coax cable outlet into ethernet port

by camster9821 / February 16, 2013 3:51 AM PST

Hi. I want to get ethernet connection in my room but the only outlet in my room is a coax cable outlet. The coax cable outlet is working, and i can connect my router or tv to that coax cable and I will be able to get Verizon fios. What I want to do is use that coax outlet as an ethernet outlet so i purchased a Verizon ECB2200V cable modem. I plug in the coax cable into it and ethernet coming out however, when i plug the ethernet port into my computer, I do not get internet. I still get an IP address but it is not connected to my main router on the other side of the house. My router does not have a cable modem plugged into it. It's just plugged in strait into coax. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">How can I fix this and why isn't it working?

camster9821 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coax cable outlet into ethernet port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coax cable outlet into ethernet port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by camster9821

Collapse -
Return the cable modem and pull up a chair
by Pepe7 / February 16, 2013 4:03 AM PST

What you should do is buy a wireless router to serve as a wireless bridge, in order to be able to access the internet connection location elsewhere in the house. Been there, done that. You won't need to use the outlet at all. Brand isn't important either since there are so many to choose from. I've used Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo, etc. in a pinch and they all functional nearly the same way once you have correctly configured them in bridge mode.

Head over to DSLreports.com, in one of the Verizon/FIOS centered sub-forums to find out how to set up your device in bridge mode successfully with your FIOS service.

Collapse -
I already have a wireless router
by camster9821 / February 16, 2013 4:12 AM PST

I have a wireless router and it is broadcasting a network. The problem is that its on the other side of my house and signal is weak. Using the Verizon cable modem, I want to be able to adapt it into ethernet so I can plug it into my computer or apple time capsule to bridge the network or to just simply use it as ethernet. I went onto DSLreports.com and there telling me to do the exact same thing I am doing now. Im receiving an IP I'm just not connected to my router to get internet (My router is on the other side of the house also connected via coax. There is a place in my house where all the coax cables meet and thats where there are coax splitters).

Collapse -
Gotcha
by Pepe7 / February 17, 2013 10:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Already Tried
by camster9821 / February 18, 2013 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Gotcha

On the first link you gave me, there is the following:
1) Using a simple MOCA LAN bridge (NIM-100, ECB2200, etc.)
If you have an unused (working) coax jack:
Connect the MOCA bridge RF-IN jack to the coax jack.
Connect your ethernet device to the MOCA bridge ethernet jack.

I did that and it did not work. It doesn't connect to the internet or my router however, I receive and IP, so if I move the Verizon router here, I can broadcast from this coax cable too.

Collapse -
Answer
Coax Light
by sunwatcher / February 17, 2013 12:51 AM PST

Is the coax light on the ECB220V steady green? If not, then there may be a signal quality issue on that coax jack. It may be that there are too many splitters or a bad splice.

What is the make and model of the main router?

Collapse -
Light is Green
by camster9821 / February 18, 2013 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Coax Light

Yes, all the lights are green on the ECB2200V. I do have a lot of splitters running through my house though. My Verizon router is also connected to a splitter in which I can receive TV and Internet from the same outlet. There is also a "coax byway" in my attic. Thats where all the coax cables meet and are connected to multiple 8 way splitters. I don't think that has anything to do with it though.

My Verizon router is a UltraLine Series3 Model 9100EM

Collapse -
I wouldn't necessarily come to that conclusion
by Pepe7 / February 18, 2013 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Light is Green

Splitters are capable of all sorts of things if you aren't careful. It's not out of the question to run a new cable to help isolate what you are sending across the large dwelling either. Been there, done that.

But more pressing is the fact that you have an older 'G' router. In a large house upgrading to a newer router, like the Actiontec the supply now more typically, would give you better performance since it's an 'N' type. Call Verizon and light a fire under their behinds to give you the proper equipment you need.

Collapse -
Thanks but no thanks
by camster9821 / February 18, 2013 5:31 AM PST

I have considered that but the price is a little out of my reach. Plus I just bought the ECB2200V and I want to take full advantage of it. I already have another router, so purchasing a new one wont do me any good. I was pretty sure in purchasing the ECB2200V, I would be able to use any coax outlet and plug in any ethernet device and get internet. I just don't know why it's not working.

Collapse -
Actually you gave up a good clue above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but no thanks

"multiple 8 way splitters" then proceeded to dismiss it. I fear you'll have to talk to other network folk and see what they think.

Bob

Collapse -
How do you know it wouldn't do you any good(?)
by Pepe7 / February 19, 2013 3:21 AM PST

What's the make/model of this other router you mention in the thread(?)

I believe you were misled into thinking it's as simple as adding that modem. It's not working because, the signal's too weak, or it's configured incorrectly/provisioning is wrong.

Did you start a similar thread @ dslreports.com yet(?)

Collapse -
Regarding swapping out for the Actiontec
by Pepe7 / February 19, 2013 3:22 AM PST

Why would Verizon charge you for that if you tell them the signal's too weak to receive it properly across your home(?)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.