Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Rant

CNET Web Site messed up

by Frederic Cote / March 4, 2013 12:55 AM PST

This is great to see how we can report bugs and talk with support of this web site, NOT !! We are in 2013 and my name is screwed up, how this can be ? Worst than that we cannot post pictures here. I cannot access part of my profile because my name is all in HTML characters. Problem of your transition when you bought VersionTracker.com !? On Version Tracker my name was fine. I hope you will fix this issue. Support UNICODE or at minimum accents.

It's frustrating and ridiculous to still see, in 2013, US webmasters doing always the same mistakes and be closed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Web Site messed up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Web Site messed up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: characters
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 1:27 AM PST

Nice name you have. But it seems something went wrong when converting from Unicode to non-Unicode. If you alert this post (the yellow triangle) and tell what it should be, our forum manager, mr Lee Koo, can try to change it to what you want. That's personal service, isn't it?
I doubt, however, if diacritical marks (accents) are supported in our user names. They aren't in posts. Neither are Chinese characters. It's strictly ASCII up to 127, I'm afraid. But, as a European, I sympathise with your point of view.

Just to note, it aren't html-characters. The last letter in html stands for language, so it's a language, not a character set.

And also to note, it's not the website that is messed up. It's only the database that contains a few strange characters.
Kees.

And, no, the forum software doesn't allow posting pictures. But that's a so unrelated issue that it's not relevant.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: characters
by Frederic Cote / March 4, 2013 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: characters

In the forum I discovered the characters are made for another Text Encoding but in my profile my full name is in HTML code. I will hope this will be fix. This is embarrassing.

Collapse -
Re: name
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 6:10 AM PST

This is what it should be: http://www.fredericcote.ca/ ? Interesting. I love it. But it's rather un-American, of course.

I'm working in The Netherlands. Even here we have problems with it. A website where people could enter their name for a magazine subscription gave us the name in Unicode, but our system 'forgot' to translate it to Windows-1252. And I got a file from the subscription administration system of another publisher where all such characters (when I opened the file in Wordpad) were just a question mark and no more. I asked if it was OK in their system, but didn't get an answer yet.

Long ago, when disk space was at a premium (1975) we had a subscription system that only registered 4 initials (like CKLT Surname, no space for dots of course). That gave complaints of people insisting in seeing all 5 initials (C.K.L.T.M. Surname).

Kees

Collapse -
I can fix this for you...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 6, 2013 3:39 AM PST

Can you please click on my username here and click "E-mail Lee" on the right side and send me an email to go over what username you would like?

Looking forward to your email.

Thanks!
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
Lee,
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 3:54 AM PST

I'm rather sure that the correct name is on that site I linked to. Maybe that's even him.

This member has a beautiful French name. It has 5 vowels (3 e's, 1 i and 1 o, and 4 of them are accented, The e's are é and the o is &ocirc (& eacute ; and & ocirc ; to use the html entities, alt-0-2-3-3 and alt-0-2-4-4 respectively on your Windows keyboard): Frédéric Côté
Of course, the html-entities are preferred, unless your database is in Unicode and correctly understands characters you type, but that depends on the tool used.

It would be very nice if you can change it.

Kees

Collapse -
That was it...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 6, 2013 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Lee,

I fixed it.

All good now Happy

Thanks!

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
It's surely better now.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: That was it...

But it's not only Unicode-less, it's accent-less also. It's better than it was. But I doubt if the proud owner of 4 accents will be happy with having 0.

I'll show you how important vowels can be. If I write your name in Dutch (the closest approximation of how a Dutch speaker would write your name if he heard it pronounced) it becomes Lie Koe, maybe Li Koe or Li Ku or Li Kuh if he knew you're Chinese. You would be very unhappy, I think.

Kees (pronounced like the English word 'case')

Collapse -
I total understand Kees...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 6, 2013 8:10 AM PST

and how important it is to you folks. It's just that our current registration system doesn't allow for it. I have brought this to the attention to our product manager for review, hopefully it is something they will take into consideration.

I got my finger crossed.
-Lee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.