Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Cnet video's

by doncon2 / May 31, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

You asked me a loaded question, when I once again tried to watch a video,[Make your own podcast] "How do you like our Cnet Video's?"
The answer is I don't. I live in the country and have no access to anything but dial-up. Every time I attempt to watch one of your videos they are buffered so badly I want to bang my head on the wall. I have made repeated attempts to take your online courses but because I have to watch impossible to watch videos I have given up and no longer bother. Being on a phone line you make me feel like a second class citizen. Sincerely "Catman" Donald M Peterkin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet video's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet video's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video downloads
by eddie11013 / May 31, 2006 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Cnet video's

Maybe you already know this but here goes anyway. If you "allow" a video to download, in all its choppiness, when it does finish, you can replay it and it will playback the way it should. It might take some time and you may need a download manager but it will work. Just downloaded a 4 minute video on my sisters dialup, it took some time, but afterwords, it played back just fine.
Only a suggestion,
Eddie

Collapse -
video downloads
by doncon2 / May 31, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Video downloads

Thanks for your well meanig suggestion. I actually know that what you say, is supposed to happen, but in real life it only starts over again from scratch, and goes on it's merry way re-buffering. Any other suggestions? Anybody got a bufferin to ease my sufferin?

Collapse -
You can't do it. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 31, 2006 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: video downloads

Streaming video is impossible on dial-up. The bandwidth requirements are too high. In other word, not enough data can be sent on dial-up. Period. The suggestion was made for you to right click and do a "save as" for the file. After the file has downloaded at its own pace/speed, you then save the file and open it to view it.

I lived with dial-up for years and this is the only way to watch video. Have you considered satellite?

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Cnet videos
by doncon2 / June 1, 2006 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't do it. . .

Thanks Wayne for your input. Yes I have considered satellite. I forgot to Mention I live in Canada,AKA Northern Mexico, as well as in the country. The receiver is around $900.00 plus a $200.00 instalation fee plus a three year contract and the slowest [thus cheapest]subscription is $79.00 per month but I would have to take the next one up,[more money] because the slowest is apparently too slow. You do the math. It's away above my retirement pension capabilities.
I know it sounds like I'm whining but I'm not. I just want a viable solution. Anybody?
P.S. Did I mention that I still have to retain my ISP because the satellite is download only,no surfing?
Good deal eh?

Collapse -
Streaming Video
by Gregarious1 / July 22, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't do it. . .

Hi Wayne, I know the stuff you said about video, but is the live cable or broadcast in a different format? In other words, is it possible to get live video on a dial up? I only have a dial-up, with a Pentium II and W98SE, but have been told I can get internet tv with it. I am skeptical. Also, is there any way to take phone calls on my telephone line, while I am connected,or even disconnects automatically to takethe calls? I only want one line, but am unreachable while on. Thanx, ;D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.