iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Cnet video podcast downloads are not playing in the iTouch.

by desind / June 23, 2010 12:20 AM PDT

Cnet SD video downloads are not playing in the iTouch. I have no problems with any other site. This Cnet problem is not specific to any program--it occurs with all the ones I download, including Loaded, Top 5, and the Buzz Report. This has been going on for about a month.
What has happened and can it please be remedied. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet video podcast downloads are not playing in the iTouch.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet video podcast downloads are not playing in the iTouch.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you try again?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 23, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

I reported this the CNET Podcast team and they tested this themselves and asked several other iPod Touch owners to do the same, and so far all of them reported that it is working for them.

Can you please try again and let us know if it is still failing. And if it does fail, please describe to us exactly how it is failing.

Thanks!
-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Response to your question regarding Cnet downloads
by desind / June 23, 2010 11:52 AM PDT

Thank you for your response.

Cnet SD video downloads to my iTouch are not being recognized as videos. Instead, they show up in my iTunes player as a non-video podcast. When I click on them, they do not open.

Again, I do not have this problem with any other site and I download lots of video podcasts, such as Slate, Rocketboom, NASA and many others. That is why I thought this could not be a problem with my iTouch.

So, if you can assist I would appreciate it, I am a big Cnet fan.

Collapse -
Hey there!
by raygun01 / June 24, 2010 5:31 AM PDT

I have figured out the problem you mentioned... There is indeed an issue and we are working to address it. Sorry for the inconvenience... I will follow up to this post once we have addressed the issue. Sad

Collapse -
Cnet download problem on iTouch
by desind / June 24, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey there!

Thank you for paying attention to my concern. I am sure you will resolve the problem satisfactorily and I will let you know when I am receiving SD video podcasts properly.

Collapse -
Believe it or not...
by raygun01 / June 25, 2010 9:20 AM PDT

this is an issue that is being poured over quite a bit by a few techs that plan to spend their time this weekend figuring it all out. In fact, they've been in touch with Apple who says this is stumping them as well.

But hopefully we should have more news to report on Monday. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for your patience.

Collapse -
A Little Bit of Irony
by desind / June 25, 2010 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Believe it or not...

I cannot help but be amused at the fact that one of the most sophisticated technology media outlets on the internet is having a problem downloading video podcasts. Just to remind you, by my estimation this started approximately in late May. I cannot pinpoint it for you, but something happened sometime after May 21st. Although I really have no clue, is it possible that it is connected with the arrival of the iPad?

Anyway, again, thank you and everyone else for their hard work. I am sure you will figure it all out.

Collapse -
Any News?
by desind / June 30, 2010 4:18 AM PDT

This must be quite an issue. Is there any progress? I am still wondering what happened in late May to trigger the problem.

Collapse -
Has Cnet abandoned SD video downloads to the iTouch?
by desind / July 3, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

Beginning to look that way to me as we move into the 6th week of being unable to view video downloads from Cnet (and only Cnet) on my iTouch. Why doesn't Cnet just copy what every other video podcaster is doing?

Collapse -
Why the silence?
by desind / July 16, 2010 12:00 AM PDT

I was advised by you (Raygun01@cnet) that a team of people were working on the video download problem experienced by Cnet. I was told that by Monday, June 28th, there should be more news. That was almost three weeks ago. My request for an update was met with--nothing.

The problem continues and we are moving into month three.

What is going on? It is amazing that Cnet cannot figure out how to properly download a video podcast.

Collapse -
Argh!!!
by raygun01 / July 19, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the silence?

I am very frustrated, guys... And I'm so sorry you are still experiencing these issues.

We've escalated this to a number of people with our CDN as well as Apple specifically... we've also undergone a number of internal tests simply trying to figure out what the root cause of this issue is.

At hand, it appears our videos play fine on the iPhone and Touch if it's d/led on a computer and synced to the device. When downloaded on the device itself from iTunes, the problem arises and the video file doesn't play. Keep in mind that the video file in both instances is exactly the same... no modification is being done to that video file (that we know of) so it makes this a very puzzling situation.

Like I said, it's escalated and I am trying to rope someone in at apple that can really make this priority number one so you guys can have the proper access to our content again.

Frustrating indeed and I feel your pain. Sad

Collapse -
Thanks for the update
by desind / July 19, 2010 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Argh!!!

I appreciate the update and the efforts. Thought you had abandoned us, so it was great to learn to the contrary.

Collapse -
Cnet video podcast downloads are not playing in the iTouch.

I can play all the CNET Videos in my iPod Touch (1st Gen) with no problem... at home ...but not in the office. I just thought that your issue has something to do with your wifi restrictions.

Collapse -
No, not due to wifi restrictions
by desind / June 28, 2010 11:38 AM PDT

The problem is not mine. If it were, then other podcasts would also be affected. I watch lots of them, including Rocketboom, NASA, Slate Magazine, Barely Digital, New Yorker, ESA. No other site has the problem, only Cnet. And not just one Cnet site--I watch a few of them, and not one loads correctly. So, I am forced to conclude that the problem is with Cnet and Apple.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Manny_the_Cavalier / June 28, 2010 3:38 PM PDT

Yeah, you got a point. But I'm wondering why I can access the cnet videos on my ipod touch, and you cannot. Well, I guess let's wait for the response from the cnet guys. Happy

Collapse -
It's about downloads, not access
by desind / June 28, 2010 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...

I can view a Cnet video directly. It is when I download an SD video and try to view the download that is the problem. Cnet SD video downloads are not playing.

Collapse -
good idea
by kuhe / August 10, 2010 7:54 PM PDT

I think it's a good idea

Collapse -
7/29/2010 and still no resolution
by precise / July 28, 2010 11:12 PM PDT

1. the problem is with downloading video through iTunes on my iphone.
2. I can stream a clip on my iphone just fine but when I download that same clip, it won't play.
3. downloading video podcast from cnet on my PC then synced to my iphone works.
4. can't seem to download over WiFi.

Collapse -
Downloading Cnet
by desind / July 29, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

It is remarkable that Cnet, a sophisticated internet media company, cannot do what every other video podcaster can do. This is a story in its own right.

Collapse -
a story
by precise / July 29, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloading Cnet

They'll probably blame it on apple and the iphone

Collapse -
I wonder if Cnet is reporting the story
by desind / July 29, 2010 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: a story

I do not know if Cnet is reporting on its inability for the past two months to provide a viewable SD video podcast because I cannot download its podcasts to find out. This is definitely a story Cnet should cover.

Collapse -
Instead of posting your comments in this forum,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 29, 2010 11:20 PM PDT

try posting them here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6142_102-0.html?forumID=51

This is where you comment/complain/moan/gripe/praise/denigrate/rant about the CNET forums and CNET's ability, or lack thereof, to provide you with a viewable SD Video podcast.

You may even get a better response

P

Collapse -
I'll check on this again...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 30, 2010 2:34 AM PDT

member raygun2 who has been posted a couple of time in this thread is the producer of several CNET podcast and is well aware of the issue. It's in hands of the engineering team currently and I will ping him again to see if there are any updates.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
This is in the hands of Apple...
by raygun01 / July 30, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

Engineers at Apple are trying to figure out why this is happening. This is a problem that appears to only be affecting our video... and only when downloading on your device from the iTunes store...

It's something that Apple has never encountered before, and its obviously taking them a while to figure out what the root cause is. Yes, this sucks big time. Believe me guys, I'm really sorry this isn't working... especially since everyone else in the world can work around an issue like this (ie, it never happened to them for whatever reason).

The strange thing is, we're doing what we've always been doing. But somewhere along the way, it simply stopped working. That's why this is so puzzling.

Collapse -
As stated before
by precise / July 30, 2010 7:43 AM PDT

Like I mentioned before, I can download it on my pc and then sync to my iPhone and can then play it that way. So that's the work around I do. But that's not my preferred method. I'd prefer to just download the video over wifi directly on my iPhone. No syncing should be required.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.