Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

Alert

Cnet TV dropping a lot of frames on 27'' iMac

by databrain / November 14, 2011 8:53 AM PST

Ever since the redesign of cnet tv, watching it became very frustrating. The stream can't decide what quality to play at and there is a lot of dropped frames especially when it decides to switch to HD. Speed is not an issue for me since I have a 12mbps internet connection. Can you guys at least bring back the option to force a quality setting?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet TV dropping a lot of frames on 27'' iMac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet TV dropping a lot of frames on 27'' iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for your feedback, I'll forward your forum post...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2011 6:45 AM PST

to the CNET TV team.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks
by cnet_mojo / November 16, 2011 7:29 AM PST

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking at options to address those type of issues. We should have something out soon.

Collapse -
I have problems too...
by gizmo00042 / December 18, 2011 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I have a core2duo 2.4ghz macbook with latest flash player version 11 and 256 megabytes of video ram. These specs should be enough to play 720p video but the video is choppy and stutters. The video also toggles between low resolution and high resolution while playing and does this quite often, why? My internet speed is 15 to 23 megabits down and 1.8 megabits up which I think is more than enough for HD playback. Netflix HD works fine on my macbook with an external monitor attached as well as the TWIT network which uses flash also and REVISION3 which uses HTML5. HTML5 uses just a little bit of the CPU at HD quality. The TWIT networks 1 megabit stream works fine in flash. I don't think it is the 2.5 megabit stream that you have for HD is the problem is it? <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Collapse -
Still happening!
by databrain / January 27, 2012 1:36 PM PST

The issue is still ongoing!

Collapse -
Same problem for several months, now.
by traineecanuck / January 27, 2012 10:21 PM PST

Similar to the other posters, I have a 2010 macbook with the latest version of flash installed (although this problem has been around since at least flash 10.xx). I get choppy video on every CNET video I play, and it switches between quality streams. This is the same no matter which browser I use (chrome, FF, Safari). All other sites (youtube, netflix, BBC, etc) are fine.

Collapse -
The reason it is a Mac only problem is
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 11:23 PM PST

because Adobe have never produced a version of Flash for the Mac that has anywhere near the capabilities of the Windows version. (They never produced a good mobile version either, the reason that Flash is not on any Apple iDevice. Kills the battery!)

<div>You may have noticed increased processor use, laptop fans coming on, when viewing Flash on a Mac laptop, doesn't happen on Windows.

Collapse -
To make sure you see HTML 5 on YouTube
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 11:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Seems to be CNET only problem
by traineecanuck / January 29, 2012 2:38 AM PST

I've opted into the HTML5 trial on youtube but some vids are still in Flash (I'm guessing you know this by right clicking on the vid and if the Adobe settings dialogue appears then it's Flash - let me know if this is wrong. I am moderately techy, but no expert!).

Collapse -
You are correct
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 5:13 AM PST

if the Flash setting appear when Right Clicked, the vid is still Flash.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.