The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

CNet redesign is sexxxy!!

by robstak / June 23, 2008 11:47 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNet redesign is sexxxy!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNet redesign is sexxxy!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll miss the green and yellow
by ktreb / June 23, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

But I like the redesign.

Collapse -
It's professional, clean where's the color/fun?
by shawnlin / June 23, 2008 12:48 PM PDT

bring *some* color back! One easy thing - add a little color as thin borders/trimming here and there...pastels, fluorescents, etc. would work.

I gotta say, I don't like it too much. I think the new logo will grow on me. reminds me of how cold and dark it is when I walked into a Wachovia bank and left thinking - basically, I did not like the bank nor could I relate to the folks that worked there.

Collapse -
It looks cleaner and the text is easier to read
by minimalist / June 23, 2008 2:00 PM PDT

but it does look like every other web 2.0 page now. Shades of grey, smooth gradients, helvetica text with lots of blank space to set it off, clean borderless fields. The red and grey motif is very safe and designed to appeal to a male 20 something demographic. It might as well be a sports site or an upscale version of Maxim.

It will be easy to read but won't be very distinctive.

If Apple is moving away from their white phase and colorful accents you can be sure everyone else wont be far along. Its all going glossy black, dark gradients and silver now.

Its like design by Darth Vader.

Collapse -
(NT) text looks great!
by robstak / June 24, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Totally agree
by rsarchtct / June 24, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

The current theme has a 'friendliness' factor that the new theme is missing. My suggestion is to incorporate some curved graphics to take the edge off.

Collapse -
Well, I'm hungry now, but,
by DaveBinM / June 23, 2008 1:44 PM PDT

I like the general look of the new site, not sure about that dark grey though. Also, the new CNET logo reminds me of that red bouncing ball that "helped" you in MS Word, back in Office '97 and the like.

Collapse -
Please Leave some Color
by PressAnyKey / June 24, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

I agree it's clean and attractive, but it's looking like every other website and application these days. Leave in a little "fun."

Collapse -
(NT) well, red and gray and dark gray and black, lol!
by robstak / June 24, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
by mementh / June 24, 2008 10:48 AM PDT

it needs something thats CNET from the past.. you can't just up and abandon the history of the site Happy

Collapse -
Ugly colors. Bad proportions.
by blancheirving / October 10, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

Battleship grey anyone? Dried blood red?

And those giant, space-wasting headings.

Srsly, There's just no elegance or grace to this redesign. Looks like it was done by a government bureaucrat rather than a graphic designer.

Sorry but I loathe it.

Collapse -
Don't like it at all
by vmapcnet / October 12, 2011 3:39 AM PDT

Please bring back the old CNET home page. The new look is not easy on my eyes. Some of the links look garbled on my browser. nice try, but sorry, I don't like it even a bit

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.