The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

CNET Live needs YOU

by raygun01 / June 27, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

That's right. CNET Live is new. It's still going through growing pains. There are parts of the old WatchBOL that worked better than what you find on CNET Live now... there are also pretty cool features on CNET Live that Watch BOL didn't have before.

If you use CNET Live ( to watch video podcasts (live or on-demand) and you have a suggestion/frustration, EMAIL ME! Otherwise, I can't throw those requests in the queue and continue to improve the site to make it worth your time. Whcih afterall, if it isn't worth your time, then we have failed.

So PLEASE. Let me know what you think. Email and let me know what you think of CNET Live. The good. The bad. The ugly.

Look, I know it's not perfect. But I also know it doesn't completely suck. It's just different. And there are issues to iron out, for sure. If we were Google, we would have attached a little hanging "beta" graphic under the CNET Live logo and maybe that simple little addition would have pacified the emphatically critical.

And keep in mind. WatchBOL was fan created. Created and maintained by you guys. I want CNET Live to follow that same ethos. So it's up to you to let me know the things you want to see. Then we'll do something about it. I'm all ears!

Carry on.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Live needs YOU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Live needs YOU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply To Jason
by alexarena / June 27, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: CNET Live needs YOU

Hi Jason,
CNET Live is great but I have one complaint, The header. It is pure ugly. I'm sorry I'm being so hard, but I hate it. I'm not great but I could design a new one for you guys if you would like. Just give me the dimensions. If your not sure what I mean I made a screenshot here Sorry for being so harsh. The rest is great and I love all the shows.
Alex aka alexthekid

Collapse -
by raygun01 / June 27, 2009 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply To Jason

Man, if that's the worst criticism the site ever gets, I'll be a happy man!

Noted. I agree. It's somewhat lifeless. I'll bring this up at my next CNET Live meeting and see what the peeps think. I mean, it's not really a "logo"... could stand to be a bit more exciting.

Collapse -
Reply To Jason Take 2
by alexarena / June 27, 2009 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Header

Yeah,I just think it's a bit dull and bland. I think it does not work well with the rest of cnet tv. Maybe you should just get rid of it all together and just put a little Live Thing next to the logo like this:
Also when you are on cnet tv you can't just click on live, you need to choose something in a submenu. Maybe just a player that showed the live show that was streaming at the time and if nothing's on then a random episode of a podcast.

Collapse -
Not gonna flame..
by Entouchable / June 29, 2009 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply To Jason

I thought I was going to want to instantly flame the poster, but I very slightly agree (surprisingly). The background of the header doesn't match the new site scheme and the gradient on the small text to the right doesn't help or add to the design. *shrugs*

With that said, if you have to ask what the dimensions of it is, then you probably aren't the person to be designing or criticizing it.

Collapse -
improving the site
by RogueTess / June 27, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

Yes, change is hard, but many thanks for soliciting user feedback! The best part of the site for me is seeing all the available live streams in one place. Show logos are great. Maybe a couple of display options, like what's on for just that day, would make it more usable. I admit to frustrations with the default playing the last show instead of kicking in to the live stream right away.

Keep up the great work and building of something great!

Collapse -
More gifs!
by rafacst / June 27, 2009 7:39 AM PDT

And more blinking and flashing thingies! You can't never have enough animated gifs on a website. Also, code everything in tables. They're make the page be so much more squared and organized. Oh and frames! Who doesn't love a page with four embeded frames on each side?! It's awesome!

Now that I'm on vacation, I'll try to watch more livestreams and if I see a bug or something weird happening, I'll send an email right way. Happy

Collapse -
Animated GIFs
by lkcor / June 27, 2009 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: More gifs!

Oh man, I was hoping for some flames or a dancing baby.

Collapse -
Two words: Free Beer
by kwahhn / June 27, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

No but seriously, make the chat box bigger (taller).

Collapse -
chat box
by hetapia / July 23, 2009 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Two words: Free Beer

I think the chat box takes up too much real estate especially if you don't want to be in the chat room.

Collapse -
The Ads in chat room are bad.
by TOPCMM / July 27, 2009 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: chat box

I can understand the reason that chat room has the AD.But it is really boring.

I suggest look at this chat.Here is its

Collapse -
Refresh tab
by labdog1957 / June 27, 2009 11:38 AM PDT

I'd like to see a refresh tab or automatically load the show when it starts.
Love the show!

Collapse -
Second on the refresh tab
by engnr--chik / June 27, 2009 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Refresh tab

Getting to the site *just before* a show starts is a challenge. If we could refresh the player, not the whole page that might help. Also a pain is having to watch the the advertising every time I refresh, mainly because I'm refreshing frequently in order to not miss the start of the show. There might not too much you can do about the advertising though - maybe set it so it doesn't play more that once every 10 minutes?

Otherwise I like the new format, and the tricasters look great.

Collapse -
Do me a favor
by raygun01 / June 30, 2009 9:49 AM PDT

For those requesting a refresh button (and there are a lot of you out there!) here's what I ask:

During the next time that you encounter the need for a refresh button, for whatever reason.... (I imagine it's when a show has officially gone "live" but you don't see it yet) ...Take a snapshot of your desktop and email it to me at Let me know your browser/PC or Mac setup.

Basically, I totally agree with the need for a refresh button on the page but we want to also make sure that things that *should* be appearing on the page (ie "Stream starts shortly, please standby" or "Watch Live Stream Now!" link) that pretty much do the same thing are appearing during those times. Maybe a big part of the problem is that they are on the page but not placed properly/obviously.

So, take a snapshot of your browser when you are encountering this issue and email it in to This will help me in building the case for the refresh button on the page. Happy

Thank you!

Collapse -
Will do!
by lkcor / June 30, 2009 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Do me a favor

I needed a refresh button like 5 times today. Check how many times I had to log in and out of chat! It's frustrating because it USED to be there!

Thanks, Jason!

Collapse -
auto-replay vs live stream
by mwood5 / June 27, 2009 1:48 PM PDT

The biggest gripe I have so far in the WatchBOL-to-CNET Live changeover is that the BOL ep from the previous day autoplays, even in the few minutes (or even seconds) before the live stream begins. I would love it if the autoplay for BOL was disabled in the 30 or so minutes before the live show starts. (In the scheme of things, small potatoes, but it bugs me every time I get to catch the live show.)

And thanks for asking our opinions, raygun01, this is what makes BOL such a great institution (and after 1k + eps, BOL is officially an institution now).

Micah (blrp in chat)

Collapse -
by wendywendy / June 27, 2009 2:50 PM PDT

I was going to write out a reply but it turns out mwood5 (Micah) said it for me.
I second the autoplay gripe
LOVETHESHOW! You guys are great, keep having fun that's what makes the show!

Collapse -
by Entouchable / June 29, 2009 3:26 AM PDT

PLEASE, turn off the auto-play feature. If only in the 30 or so minutes before the next live podcast. It makes it so confusing to tell whether or not you're watching the show from the day before or the new live one.

This becomes problematic when you're trying to quickly jump into the live stream and have to wait for the ad (which sucks, but understandable) and then watch 15-30 seconds of the show to figure out if it's prep, current show, or previous day's show, and then refresh again when it's closer to the correct time, wait for the ad for 30 seconds and see if the stream is up yet.

Not to mention chat gets inundated with "Is this live?" questions.

Collapse -
Pop-Out Video window!!!
by robstak / June 29, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

I use XChat on the right now, so it'd be easier and cleaner if I could have a pop-out window of just the video on the left for the ubersmooth #CNETFans experience!
-dr. k

Collapse -
I really like it
by hosko / June 30, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

Only problem is you guys tape at 3.30am local time here. So unless I've had a massive night out I'm fast asleep.

Collapse -
Actually here is an idea
by hosko / June 30, 2009 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I really like it

Why not at times when you don't have a live show in the studio you replay episodes. That way it would be more like a full time streaming channel. You could pad it out with other clips made by Cnet.

Collapse -
Good idea
by raygun01 / June 30, 2009 2:21 AM PDT

Yeah, we had discussed the idea of having a separate room that is actually more or less a pre-programmed playlist of past episodes/content, but streamed to everyone in real time so everyone gets the same video at the same time instead of their own detached playlists... might give people a place to park and talk about content and stuff.

This fits that idea. Thanks!

Collapse -
by TommyVallier / June 30, 2009 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Good idea

I don't sign in often, but I will to add my vote to this idea with an added request: Please SCHEDULE it all - so that yesterday's BOL always runs at, say, 11pm, and then the most recent Gadgettes airs Mondays at 6pm or something... That way we can get the 'see it with other people and chat about the show' benefits of the live site, but find ways to integrate it into our schedule.

Really, who needs TV?

Collapse -
No activity screen
by 111durwin / July 2, 2009 8:25 AM PDT

Hi Jason!

It just happened to me that I was watching the Gadgettes' live stream, I got up to go to a "meeting" with the toilet and when I came back the stream was still there but it had the "Still want more great TV? Click resume" screen on top of it, just clicking made it go away and the stream was fine but it's still a bit annoying.

Thanks! And keep up the great work!
DC1 from the chatroom

Collapse -
forum topics
by stringboy / July 6, 2009 3:50 AM PDT

As little as I liked the previous layout, I did like knowing the hot topics in the forums (although the knocks on Nat were overblown).

The current website is video centric, but not podcast focused (if that makes sense). BOL is bigger than the audio/video portion.

Collapse -
Main Cnet Live Page
by gildorluthien / July 9, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

I'm not good with time. Ok, so I have finally memorized and gotten in my head that BOL starts at 1:30pm. But there are so many of the other shows that I want to try, and because my schedule is so crazy anyway, it would be nice if the content from could be a little easier to get to. The only way I know to get to it is to go to Is there another way to get to that page? It would be great for new users discovering the podcast shows as well.

Collapse -
Getting to CNET Live
by raygun01 / July 9, 2009 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Main Cnet Live Page

Sure. Currently, you can get to CNET Live right from (check the CNET Live tab)

I am getting a link to the page from the podcast pages as well as from Podcast Central (

We are also working on a front door module that will announce when a show is live and take you there directly. If a show isn't live, it will take you to the page by clicking through.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Collapse -
by decromin / July 9, 2009 5:37 AM PDT

any chance of adding GMT to the podcast schedule too? I know it is down the bottom with the show list, but it'd be handy up the top too.

Collapse -
iPhone/iPod Touch Support
by CuriousG101 / July 9, 2009 6:11 AM PDT

Hey Jason! It would be much easier to watch Cnet Live on the road if I could watch streaming on my iPod Touch. I have a basic knowledge of streaming tech, and know it wouldn't be easy to set up an app, but I thought I'd let you know there was a demand!

Collapse -
Stream Player doesn't work.
by Entouchable / July 14, 2009 4:07 AM PDT

Figured I should post this to see if anyone else is running into the same issues.

I've had no problems with watching the stream on old/new watchbol or CNet Live up until this morning.

This morning I attempt to pull up the stream and it never loads. It appears as though the player itself doesn't fully load. The flash window is there, with a gradient background, but the player controls never load.

Tried on Firefox, IE8 & Chrome (freshly installed in which youtube plays correctly).

I?ll try a restart at some point today and see if it?s just my computer acting up. There?s a good chance that it could be if no one else is experiencing this problem.

Collapse -
It's a symbiotic relationship
by rustcnet / July 17, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

Buzz Out Loud is quite interesting. I do like the casual format. The banter is very good and I'm guessing mostly unscripted. The injected mini-debates about frivolous things are priceless. Keep them up. I like those little tangential comments. I'd like to hear mini-debates creep in about things like whether U2 or R.E.M. was the band of the '80s, all-time classic movies (who on the staff likes Joe Versus the Volcano or Pulp Fiction, for example), TV shows, sports teams, authors, poets, and anything else.

I'd also like to hear ongoing commentary about each of your experiences with Twitter, Facebook, etc., and addressing some of the things possibly many of us out here have encountered. Maybe also talk about the ins and outs of social media, of the pros and cons of online friendships, good or bad experiences they've had, etc.

Occasionally, I think it would be neat for part of the discussion to have staff members address the audience too and speak to us as they look in the camera. Maybe you do, but I didn't notice it in the videos I saw today.

Again, my exposure has been very limited thus far, coming in today for the first time, so some of these things may already exist. Another is to hear references to personal tastes or events, such as a song or artist one of them has been enjoying, their hobbies, etc.

The chat entries go by so fast that at times it's hard to keep up with them, and I get the feeling that people don't see a lot of the comments posted there unless they're having a one-on-one conversation with someone there who is focused in on their comments. Maybe moderate or restrict the chatters somehow, since some of them seem a little like pseudo-trolls.

I haven't familiarized myself with the whole site layout yet, but is there a Q&A place for specific staff members? I'd like to follow up of some of the comments expressed in the videos.

I'm duly impressed with what you've got going so far. I think you fill an important niche on the Web.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.