Computer Help forum

CNET gave me a virus

by Bender35 / July 9, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

I have tried twice now in the last week to download a dvd playing system off of, a cnet service provider. The first time I downloaded the real player software and got a virus/adware called sweetpacks and was unable to remove it with both spy-bot and norton antivirus so to solve the problem I used a system restore point from a week earlier and started the whole process over. The second time I downloaded the top rated player and once again the virus/adware called sweetpacks was installed onto my computer. If this is something that you include with the downloads from your website then I will no longer be using this website and I believe that nobody should because it is obviously wrong of you to install this on my computer without my knowledge. Please let me know if there is any way that I can remove sweetpacks without once again having to do a system restore and if this is part of your downloads then please let me know so that I can chose to go somewhere else for more reliable downloads from now on.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET gave me a virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET gave me a virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry to say
by Jimmy Greystone / July 9, 2013 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: CNET gave me a virus

Sorry to say, but this is almost certainly your fault. While I'll certainly agree that I'm not a fan of the practice companies have of bundling some kind of toolbar or other program along with anything else you download or making the default option opt-in, ultimately YOU were the one who wasn't paying attention and just kept clicking "Next" without reading each screen. Meaning you had the opportunity to avoid installing this sweetpacks program, but were in such a rush to install whatever you downloaded, you didn't notice the extra screen on the installer asking if you wanted to also install this other program.

As for removing it. Spybot and Norton rank pretty much at the bottom when it comes to removing malware, so give something like Malwarebytes a try.

Collapse -
Try it. I opted out at each question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to say

And it still installed Sweetpacks. I didn't believe it till I tried this out. It turns out that answering No is not enough. You must now going into some Advanced Install area to opt out.

We have a discussion on removal and you're right about Spybot and Norton.

Collapse -
(NT) Then I stand corrected
by Jimmy Greystone / July 10, 2013 12:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Then I stand corrected

It was a shock to see this pest install after I opted out. I supplied a link to the discussion where I was corrected and I'm still standing too!

Collapse -
That's not a virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 12:21 AM PDT

Some folk call everything a computer virus but this is not as we check the definition.

"A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another.[1] The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability." - Wikipedia.

So that's no virus. It's something else. Here's the discussion where I first found out about this pest.;contentMain

You can read the entire back and forth where I follow the leads and what removed it. (Adwcleaner.)

Collapse -
had similar problem on cnet. downloading program
by hreams / July 12, 2013 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: That's not a virus.

i got malware sweetpacks malware browser hijacker from cnets.

shame on cnet for using such practice. i wont be using cnet again for anything after this .

Collapse -
by koshkamat / July 26, 2014 3:08 AM PDT

I clicked on a link for AVAST because I TRUSTED CNET. Now I have downloaded RegClean Pro and I can't get rid of it and I am sure it is stealing all of my passwords.

Collapse -
Double whammy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2014 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ME TOO

We know registry cleaning is not that good an idea. So you fell for one thing and got more than you bargained for.

Time to complain to the Reg Pro folk about this sad story.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.