Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

CNET Free software is NOT Free at all

by ccrawf23 / July 9, 2012 11:11 PM PDT

I thought I could trust CNET but when I downloaded a Free utility to generate a calendar in Excel, all that downloaded was a zip file containing a .jpg of a calendar and instructions to go to a web site to download an INVOICE for the Free software. The zip file is "cnet_OnlineYearlyCalendar_Zip.exe" which directs you to the web site "software-files-a.cnet.com".

I don't know whether this is malware or worse but I feel that CNET let me down.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Free software is NOT Free at all
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Free software is NOT Free at all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 9:41 PM PDT

this one? http://download.cnet.com/Online-Yearly-Calendar-Any-Year/3000-2077_4-10915220.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

If so, I tried it myself using LibreOffice which is just an open source word processing suite including a spreadsheet that can open and edit Office files.

Frankly I am stumped!

It works, but all it allows you to do is input a new year and so display the correct calendar for that year. I could have created a calendar like that myself but I don't bother because I get so many free calendars posted through my post box I have never had to purchase any calendars.

And when I say it works, that's not the whole story. When I click the cell to change the year LibreOffice halts with a "Not responding" message for a number of seconds, and then continues. I can then enter a new year, then it halts again before displaying the correct calendar.

It's all pointless.

So as far as I am concerned it is free. I did go to the web site but I didn't bother registering or signing any invoice, but I don't see myself using this at any time in the future.

If you feel the same you may want to "be the first" to add a comment on your experience with it on that page I linked to.

Mark

Collapse -
I get an .xslx template
by peterbutler Download.com staff / July 11, 2012 8:15 AM PDT

Hi, there. I also get an .xslx template named "Online Yearly Calendar (Any Year).xlsx" along with the JPG image you describe.

When I open it with Microsoft Excel, it indeed loads a yearly calendar template that lets you select a year, and then it provides the months, dates, weeks, etc.

I think it does what it says on the tin. I think it's OK. It has limited value, but I don't think it is worthless.

- Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.