PC Applications forum

General discussion

CNET Facebook Connect issues? Please post them here.

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 12, 2008 1:46 AM PST

Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce that yesterday 12/12/08 we completed our integration of the Facebook Connect log-in system on our site. Please read more about it here in Rafe Needleman Webware blog post here:

If you are having difficulties connecting with FaceBook on CNET, please post it here in this thread. One of our developers will be checking in here and will hopefully be able to help you out with your issues.

When posting your problems, please provide as many details as you can about the problems you are experiencing. Please also include your browser type, if you are currently a CNET member or not, even screenshots will help... anything info will be helpful.

Thank you!
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Facebook Connect issues? Please post them here.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Facebook Connect issues? Please post them here.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reminder on screenshots...
by John.Wilkinson / December 12, 2008 5:19 AM PST

As Lee said, screenshots greatly help illustrate the problem at hand. However, the Cnet forums do not currently permit the direct upload of images or any other files. Thus, in order to provide a screenshot you will need to upload it to a free image-hosting service such as that provided by ImageShack.us adnd then post the direct link in your post.

Collapse -
Name is missing
by mn1044 / February 18, 2009 4:37 AM PST

The few times that I've commented so far, my name is not appearing. It just says By and then the date. For example, on a recent comment it just says "by February 18, 2009 12:33 PM PST". Weird, eh? BTW, I did create a user name to post with on CNET.

Collapse -
by aclottmann / February 18, 2009 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Name is missing

I can see that your username is in our system. Can you try logging out and logging back in? Do you see your CNET username in the header of the page? Also, can you post your OS/Brower stats? Oh, and a link to the post you submitted? We'll try to track this down.

Thanks for the feedback.

Collapse -
It's there now
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / February 18, 2009 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Name is missing
Collapse -
Help please
by innov8ion / March 16, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

I can't get this to work. If I login with my CNet account, I don't see an option to merge it with Facebook Connect. If I login with Facebook Connect, it asks me to choose a new username. I need to merge it with an existing username.

Help, please.

Collapse -
Connect help
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / March 16, 2009 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Help please

Hi innov8ion,

It sounds like you created a new CNET account during your intial connect process instead of merging an existing account. After you log in the first time with Facebook Connect, there is a screen asking "New to CNET?" and "Already a CNET member?" If you selected "New to CNET?" a new CNET account was created (which is why you were prompted to create a username).

If you send me your Facebook ID we can unlink the account so you can use Connect again and merge it with your existing CNET account.

You can find your Facebook user ID by going to the "Profile" on Facebook. The url for that page contains "id=" The number after the equals sign is your Facebook user ID.

Don't post it in the forums, but you can send it directly to me: marc.bennett at cnet dot com

And I'll see about unlinking the accounts.

Collapse -
Facebook Connect Problems
by ThomasRedstone / May 11, 2009 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Connect help

I'm having similar problems, I chose Facebook connect, didn't realise I already have an account so selected the option to create a new one, when I realised my usual account name was taken I did some digging around and realised I had registered about a year ago, and now my Facebook account seems to only be able to link to a new account.
I've tried looking in the Facebook settings to see if I can unlink my Facebook and CNet and couldn't really see anything useful.
Any advice?
(I tried emailing marc.bennet, but the email bounced)

Collapse -
Try it now
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / May 12, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

Hi RandomCake,

Try it again. It should work now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.