Download.com Site Feedback forum

Rant

CNet drops TechTracker for Mac

by jve1 / May 20, 2013 8:50 AM PDT

Am I the only Mac guy that will miss TT?

I've used this product for several years and will miss it greatly.

Does anyone at CNET have a logical explanation as to why the Mac platform is being dropped?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNet drops TechTracker for Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNet drops TechTracker for Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We apologize for the inconvenience here.
by CNETSupport / May 21, 2013 6:31 AM PDT

For several years, the predominant trend for Apple developers has been to distribute their software through the Mac App Store. At the same time, Apple's Mac App Store policies prohibit Download.com from offering our software through the store. As a result, we have seen our Mac users slowly but steadily decline as they begin to use the Apple ecosystem exclusively for their software needs. When the question came up about continuing to develop software for the Mac, we had to make a tough decision based on where we saw opportunity for our services in the future.

We appreciate and strongly value the Mac user audience, and will continue to serve them through the Download.com site as we have for over 15 years.

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
No Mac, so sad!
by jve1 / May 22, 2013 6:11 AM PDT

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the heads up.

I agree, the App store has changed things, but they never tell you there's updates for FireFox, Adobe Flash Player and Reader, TT and Flip Player just to name a few.

I'll really miss your telling me about all the updates that I need.

Jim

Collapse -
Why is it still active then?
by mrtn242 / June 9, 2013 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: No Mac, so sad!

I had the prompt for new updates show up, I thought TechTracker was done!
I will miss this app, and Apple's app policies just aren't right. Most of my software I got from here.(my 2 cents)

Collapse -
Sorry for the confusion.
by CNETSupport / June 18, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

Although the TechTracker software still functions for the time being, it is no longer being supported or further developed, and it will eventually shut down completely.

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
Suggestions for replacement?
by XttinaGarnet / July 10, 2013 2:42 PM PDT

Thank you for the heads up! For those of us mac people who use a lot of freeware/ open source/ content software, not in the apple store, can you suggests any alternative version trackers?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.