Windows Legacy OS forum

CNET Downloads

by uncleboee / February 20, 2012 7:01 AM PST

I could find no way to ask for help/support on this issue....when I try to download anything on your CNET site, I get a grey screen with "missing plugin" in the middle of the screen and NO download. What is causing this and where can I get this "Plugin" ?? Thank you !

Message was edited 02/21/2012 9:17AM to change URL that was affected by a bug in CNET

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you take a screenshot?
by John.Wilkinson / February 20, 2012 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: CNET Downloads

CNET doesn't require the presence or download of any plugins in order to download from the site, so a screenshot would help in determining what is blocking your download. To post a screenshot, just upload it to a free image hosting site (like and post the link to the image in this thread.

Also, could you provide a little more information about what OS (presumably Windows XP) and browser you're using, as well as exactly when this "missing plugin" alert appears in the download process (which link/button you clicking right before it appears) and an example URL where you're experiencing this?

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to correct a broken URL on 02/21/2012 at 10:31 AM PT

Collapse -
by uncleboee / February 21, 2012 9:24 AM PST

Thank you for the response...I use XP PRO SP3. I am sending screenshot(s).

<div><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Link:
<span>Direct Link:

<span>This link DID download, however, I have experienced others that did not, though at this time, I am unsure what downloads they were. Also, at times, I do get a download that I am unable to open. I am not sure why this is as I have all kinds of ZIP and RAR programs. Maybe there is something I am not aware of....Again, thanks for your assistance. Bob.

Collapse -
That's very strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 7:17 PM PST
In reply to: Screenshots

Your screenshot of the missing plugin, this one;

I've never seen anything like that. Does that black screen cover the whole of the monitor's display?

It's very strange because missing plugins are usually browser errors, that is, you visit a web page in your browser and if the web page needs some plugin or other a little dialog window pops-up within the web page telling you that you need a plugin, and the window either gives a choice of "Installing or Cancel", or offers where to get the plugin from.

But the point is, you can still see the browser underneath and also still see the Taskbar and the rest of the Desktop.

I have just found an example of that image. Are you using the Google Chrome browser? If so, is the full image anything like this:

If so it seems that Chrome is missing a plugin, but that window doesn't tell much, even with the full window displaying. EG the "Https://" in the header bar. However I see bottom right of that Chrome window there is an angled double chevron which allows you to resize the window. Doing that might show more.

Did you try another browser? Here's the link to the IE-View-Lite you were looking for;

All Answers

Collapse -
I'm getting a plugins missing too on other sites. (LINK)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: CNET Downloads
Collapse -
Missing plug-in
by uncleboee / February 22, 2012 4:23 AM PST

I know it's a problem with a missing plug-in...What I don't know is what plug-in, how to find out which one it is and how to fix it. I don't get that message on IE 8, but sometimes on Firefox. I have been 'round and 'round with Chrome and they just play dumb, which it seems, they really are ! I'll try the IE Lite, though and thanks for the try at help. Much appreciated !! Bob.

Collapse -
The screen shots you gave
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Missing plug-in
Collapse -
missing plug-ih
by uncleboee / February 22, 2012 12:45 PM PST

I have run all kinds of malware. boot scans, etc....I am reloading Chrome now and will see if that helps...I have also used SFC /scannow to see if that helps...Thank you Bob.

Collapse -
Missing plug-in
by uncleboee / February 23, 2012 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: missing plug-ih

Reloaded Chrome, but I honestly couldn't check it as the "Shockwave Failed" and "Flash unresponsive" messages kept coming up, as has been another giant problem, so I am going back to Firefox, which is slower, but WORKS....Too bad, Chrome, you will miss all the people leaving your browser !! Thanks for the try at helping me, friends !

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.