Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Download.com Site Feedback

Rant

CNET CRAPWARE add-ons

by dalowman / July 2, 2012 / 8:13 AM UTC

What is wrong with you guys? CNET was my go-to site to download software.

Now when I try to download an application, you are adding on other software I don't want.

The other day I downloaded a program and 'BLEKKO' search bar was installed on my computer even though I checked 'no' when asked if I wanted it.

From now on I will go directly to the publisher to download any software I need.

Shame on you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET CRAPWARE add-ons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET CRAPWARE add-ons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CNET CRAPWARE add-ons
by disssd / July 7, 2012 / 8:09 AM UTC
In reply to: CNET CRAPWARE add-ons

Another case in point, this Babylon search engine that's wormed itself into every web browser i have immediately after I used the CNET downloader. It did not even seek permission to install - just hid behind some sort of vaguely worded plea about ad support from CNET Downloads.

I knew something was wrong when the I saw the download speed in Kbits!

But worse, Babylon is a bad rash that won't go away.
Its a pain to uninstall cos not only do you have remove it from the settings tab of the browser but also have to do a lengthy search in regedit to remove all traces from the registry. It states on the Babylon site that all you have to do is uninstall it from the Control panel "Uninstall a Program" in Win7, but who are they kidding? Try googling "uninstall Babylon" and see how people are pi**ed off.

Like Dalowman I am going to aviod "CNET" like the plague.

Collapse -
SpeedTrap
by lone-star / July 8, 2012 / 6:05 PM UTC

Downloaded and now every new tab I open goes to Yahoo search. I can't find a way to change it. Got my homepage changed, but that only works when I open Firefox, any new tab can't be changed. What a rip off. I will never use Yahoo for anything because they try to hijack your computer. If anyone knows how to remove this let me know.

Collapse -
See if the link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 / 4:21 AM UTC
Collapse -
1000 percent agree
by lenintampa / July 27, 2012 / 8:36 AM UTC

I'm so pissed off, I can't see straight. I too always went to Cnet as the safe place to get trials and other software. Today I got a bunch of stuff that I didn't want, that I didn't know was going to be installed and is a royal pain in the *** to get rid of.

Wake up Cnet - like you don't make enough money from your sponsors that you need to junk up your users computers?

WTF - I'm over this site.

Collapse -
Same thing on Crapware
by boongsong / August 31, 2012 / 8:53 AM UTC
In reply to: 1000 percent agree

I went to a software manufacturer's web site to download a trial version. Up comes CNET.
Clicked on the download link and in the process I was prompted to include AVG software for
my browser and search. No options to refuse.
What the heck is going on?
I don't want anything other than the software I want to test. I do not want to have to download
crapware then have to fight to get it out of my computer.
Is this the best CNET has to offer and why is CNET even involved in a manufacturer's business?
Guess I'll have to forego the trial version
What a lousy way to do business that you have to accept garbage you don't want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon