Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

CNET Bandwidth Test Results are much Lower than Other Sites

by rausdahl / October 9, 2009 11:13 PM PDT

I just upgraded my DSL connection from 1.5 Mbps to 7.0 Mpbs and wanted to test the actual bandwidth. I've run tests at several web sites including CNET. CNET always returns results of just 1.3 to 1.8 Mbps while all the others test sites return results of 4.8 to 5.2 Mbps.

All tests have been run using a desktop PC connected to my router/modem via ethernet cable. Any thoughts as to why CNETs results would consistently vary so much from the other sites?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Bandwidth Test Results are much Lower than Other Sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Bandwidth Test Results are much Lower than Other Sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's called traffic . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2009 9:43 PM PDT

You're not the first person to notice this. Slow download results are caused by heavy traffic on the server. Or a gazillion other reasons. Since the test is free there's not much you can do about it. I use this site and pick a server close to me (Dallas) and get the results my cable company advertises.

You need Flash to make it work.

Collapse -
Wrong Assumption on my part
by rausdahl / October 11, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply and for the website link. Happy

For such reasons as you mentioned I wasn't at all surprised to see differences of 500 Kbps or so, but not the kind of difference reported by CNET. I would not have expected the servers for sites that offer to test bandwidth speeds to run bandwidth tests if unable to actually test the clients bandwidth capability with reasonable accuracy. If a test site's server is so busy it can't provide an accurate test, I would have expected a message to that affect with a note to try later. I realize it's a free service, but more accuracy would be nice.

Are we living in a perfect world yet? Wink

Collapse -
Try this one
by Ross Quinnell / October 12, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

This one has been the most standard one that most people use it is called.

And your on dsl and you are using a phone line connection you will not get the full bandwidth depending on how far away you are from the tele exchange .

I am on fiber optic so i get what I pay for

Collapse - bandwidth test is always much slower.
by rjcd57 / February 15, 2010 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Try this one

While four other sites (VerizonFios,, speakeasy and Bandwidthplace) all consistently measure download speeds on my Comcast broadband service between 5 and 25 MBps, the figure on is always between .8 and 1.6MBps measured within a few seconds of the other tests. So the difference is NOT variation based on number of users signed on, etc. There is an essential difference between the operation of the Cnet site and the others. Either Cnet is bogus or ALL the others are bogus. Who knows?

Collapse -
Here's my favorite
by Steven Haninger / February 15, 2010 7:49 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.